Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When was contesting on 17 meters approved?  (Read 10014 times)
KT0DD

Ignore
« on: October 27, 2012, 02:30:45 PM »

I am listening to a pileup of contesters on 17m right now. I was under the impression that contesting on the WARC bands was not permitted or accepted by the FCC / IARU / ITC etc.

I am not a contester and was using 17 meters to get away from contests when I want to ragchew. I want get away from intentional QRM by rude contesters who dont listen to see if a frequency is in use before jumping on top of an ongoing QSO.

73, Todd - KT0DD
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 02:55:50 PM »

Do you know which contest they were working? The only contest I know of this weekend is the CQWWDX (SSB), but that contest limits the participants to 1.8, 3.5, 7, 14, 21 and 28 MHz.  My understanding is the same as yours, WARC bands are off limits for contests.

KT0DD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 03:06:11 PM »

The identifers that were being exchanged sounded just like the CQWWDX on 20 meters.
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 03:48:02 PM »

The identifers that were being exchanged sounded just like the CQWWDX on 20 meters.

Based on that information, I can only conclude the stations either did not read or understand the rules.  If you noted any of their calls/times, I certainly would send that information to questions@cqww.com, stating the stations obviously were not following the rules.

I briefly participated in a few contests years ago, but gave it up.  Just because there is too much rude operating, and certain contestants obviously bending the rules, with win no matter what attitude.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 04:59:59 PM »

I was under the impression that contesting on the WARC bands was not permitted or accepted by the FCC / IARU / ITC etc.

The FCC, et al , have no authority to ban contests.  The limitation to NOT use any of the so-called WARC bands are imposed by the sponsoring authorities (like CQ, or ARRL, etc.) who will not accept QSOs made on WARC bands for credit.  This, of course, won't prevent some from trying to make them there.

Mike N2MG
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 05:04:06 PM by N2MG » Logged
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 07:35:18 AM »

You sure you're not listening to a DX pileup? I noticed a couple of those last night. Not contests, just DX pileups.
W1EL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 10:52:49 AM »

CQ is not going to give anyone any points for contacts on bands not listed in the rules. 17m is not one of the contest bands. Probably just a regular old pileup.

Best Regards de W1EL
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 12:56:46 PM »

I too heard several DX pileups on 17 yesterday. I did not hear anyone using the
Signal report + Zone system being used in the contest this weekend.
james
WD5GWY

KASSY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 08:51:22 PM »

Please be more specific.  Exactly what was said?  Since you're not a contester, I'm a bit suspicious that you don't have the contest exchange memorized, therefore you don't know what "sounds like" in this case, means.

As others have said, if people really were contesting on a WARC band, the contest sponsor will not only NOT count those points, but will disqualify them from scoring altogether.

Thanks,

- k
KT0DD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 10:10:26 AM »

The calls were made as follows:   callsign / 599 / identifier number just like some other contests.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 10:16:07 AM »

I don't know what you were hearing...

Again, there's no law banning contests there.  But I know of NO contest-sponsoring organization that accepts QSOs on WARC bands for credit.

edit: Did you make a note of any callsigns?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 10:19:23 AM by N2MG » Logged
K5TEB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 11:35:06 AM »

Just guessing, but what you may have heard was an exchange between one of the CW groups like SKCC or FISTS.  Like I said, just guessing.  73 de k5teb, Terry
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 11:50:24 AM »

Just guessing, but what you may have heard was an exchange between one of the CW groups like SKCC or FISTS.  Like I said, just guessing.  73 de k5teb, Terry
You took the words out of my mouth...  I was going to suggest just that!

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
W5ZL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 07:42:23 PM »

Fellow Hams:

Since there is NO CONTESTING on the WARC  BANDS, let's not try to find loopholes in the regulations to allow you to play Radio/Contesting on the WARC BANDS in any shape, form or action.  We all know the intent of the WARC BANDS and if not, take a look with a Goggle Search and learn the intent of these BANDS.

Let's all be adults and at least those of us that are members of the ARRL; follow the intent that the ARRL went to the WARC Committee to request the expansion onto those bands that have been known every since as the WARC band and play by the rules that were promogated when the rule was written.
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 10:29:00 PM »

To whom are your remarks directed? Nobody was trying to find loopholes and nobody was being childish. So why the pedantic remarks?
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: