Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ZD9UW..........  (Read 936 times)
W5RDW

Ignore
« on: October 02, 2012, 08:02:06 AM »

Worked the station the first day on 10 meters at a little before 8 AM, very early for W5 land to hear that part of the world. I could barely hear him, but the signal came out of the noise for a minute or so and I was fortunate to get a contact.

Thinking he would answer e-mails after the dxpedition, I e-mailed him thanking him for his patience in hanging in with me on the qso. To my surprise, this morning I got a response from Rob, the operator there, thanking me also! To make it even better, I am in the log according to www.clublog.org!

I am a happy ham now! One band and one slot is enough for me!

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 08:31:55 AM »

Congrats on a good catch. He was in and out to me this morning but mostly working Europeans. He went QRT for lunch and that was the last I heard him. I only need them on 10, for a 9-band sweep.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 08:42:57 AM »

Very nice! I have never worked Tristan da Cunha before. I have Marion Island from down there in that direction. but that was 40 years ago, so this is a new experience for me in that part of the world!

My ears are sore  Grin now trying to work a 3A and a T6 on CW this morning. Both are weak and I will probably just let my ears rest for another day!

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
KD8IZZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 09:23:26 AM »

I tried to get him during gray line and he was a 55, but too many big guns, never got'em.

Maybe tonight.
Definite ATNO.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 10:01:23 AM »

Bagged and tagged just before noon Eastern. Signals had really come up nicely but the pileup was very deep and it took me almost an hour of calling with Big AL firing on all cylinders and 7 elements at 72' working their magic.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 05:49:58 PM »

Got my ZD9UW card today!

In an e-mail to Rob a week ago, after I commented about how signal levels were so low when I worked him, he said about the dxpedition......

"Listening back to the recording, you were certainly Q5 when you called - I can't tell you the S-meter reading, but it was significantly above the noise floor (pretty low on 10/15m, but rather worse on 20/40m).

I guess I was probably running about 200W at my end - the homebrew linear I was using doesn't have as much gain on the higher bands, but does only weigh around 6.5kg including PSU!"

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: