Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CQWWSSB  (Read 2709 times)
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 06:36:31 PM »

40 meters was a bust here last night.  I couldn't get out of my backyard with 500 watts and a vertical dipole.  For those who did get through, what were you using...antenna, height, power?  Must be time to upgrade!

I also am running a vertical dipole and also a rotatable dipole for 40.  Just installed the rotatable
dipole, it is at 70 feet.  I thought the horiz dipole would walk all over the vertical dipole but on longer hauls the vertical dipole was usually better during contacts made in the CQ WW SSB contest.  Havent figured this out, but will test more and see what happens.  Dont give up on the vertical dipole !   Mine is strung off the side of the tower at about 20 degrees and the bottom is about 4 feet off the ground.  I am feeding it with RG 213 and a choke made of 6 - 2.4" ferrite donut cores and 5 turns of the RG-213 through.  I am running 1KW.  It is important to use a choke to cancel out feedline radiation and ruin the pattern.   One thing in the horiz dipoles favor is that it picks up less noise than the vertical dipole, it is a quieter on receive. 

Bob
K6UJ
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 07:38:17 PM »

40 meters was a bust here last night.  I couldn't get out of my backyard with 500 watts and a vertical dipole.  For those who did get through, what were you using...antenna, height, power?  Must be time to upgrade!

18 of 21 qsos on 40m were Saturday night, 3 this morning. 19 DXCC, 12 zones total.

Elevated inverted- L, 6 feet off the ground with 4 elevated radials, 800 watts.

Several EU, a 4X, UN, ZD8, and a couple of Caribbean stations. UA0, YB and DU this morning just after sunup.

W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 07:41:46 PM »

Well this weekend was a personal best-ever. 35 hours butt-in-chair resulted in 1922 QSOs, 144 Zones and a claimed score of 3,536,397. Not top-5 material in all probability but hopefully top-10 for the second-district.

80 and 160 were both busts, 10 was great and I didn't find 40 all that bad. There was a really nice added bonus of 20m being open around the clock the first night. I was really hoping that would have happened during the second night as well. Can't have everything I suppose. I bagged a bunch of exotic stuff (nothing new) and even had a few rare ones call when I was running. That's always a treat!

The big question is how long it'll be before LoTW starts spitting out matches. I'm betting on 48 hours.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 07:56:10 PM »

W2IRT, well done OM!  I just don't have that stamina at my ripe old age of 48.  I need to start exercising and getting in shape so that I can survive on less than 6 hours a night.  I thought older folks needed less sleep!
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 08:54:43 PM »

The big question is how long it'll be before LoTW starts spitting out matches. I'm betting on 48 hours.

I'll put the over/under at 72 hours, probably more.

This was my first contest using the three week old Bencher Skyhawk.  I only put in a few hours today, however. 10 meters was where I spent all my time sans 1 contact on 40 and DX1M on 20 meters. The band was in very good shape while I was on and I worked all but a few stations on the first call.  Some first call stations with big pileups included XP1A, C5A, and ZD8O.  I was not on for the Asian openings which would've been a better test.

I got many unsolicited remarks that my signal was very strong.  I will give my best effort in the 10 meter contest in December so I can actually compare my point total against other stations in my section. My biggest obstacle will be sitting in the chair all those hours. I'm still sore from my spill off the stepladder while putting the spreaders on the Skyhawk. I went to the Doc on Friday for a one month checkup and he said it will be a slow process since I had back problems to start with and those will only get worst with time. I guess back pain will be a constant companion and something I need to get used to living with. I'm sure many in the forum are dealing with it as it is very, very common. Given the need for breaks and just the Skyhawk, albeit with an Alpha 8410, I am never going to win a contest but I still have a lot of fun in most of them and I always try to give out some points even for the foreign contests.

Peter, W2IRT, have you lowered your tower?  I should've lowered mine today but I fell asleep after dinner and did not get up until 9 PM.  I need to do mine in daylight as the rotor cable comes down the center of the tower and I need to constantly pickup the slack.  Winds are currently 10 to 15 mph at 11:54 PM.

Chris/NU1O

« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 09:10:46 PM by NU1O » Logged
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 09:01:10 PM »

40 meters was a bust here last night.  I couldn't get out of my backyard with 500 watts and a vertical dipole.  For those who did get through, what were you using...antenna, height, power?  Must be time to upgrade!

I am running 1500 Watts to an inverted V with the apex at 55 feet and I find it frustrating working 40 meters. Granted, I only tried to work the station in the Marianas and he had a huge pileup but I prefer working bands where I am very competitive and that's 10, 15 and 20.  I was seriously thinking of putting up a rotatable dipole for 40 but I really don't know what I'm going to do for that band when the solar cycle starts heading down.

I am finding out that in almost all cases the signal to noise ratio increases when I load up the Bencher Skyhawk on 30 and 40 meters. The inverted V is very noisy. I will need to run some tests to see what happens to my signal on XMIT before I would use the Skyhawk as my transmit antenna.

Chris/NU1O
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 09:15:20 PM by NU1O » Logged
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2012, 09:07:31 PM »

I MAY have to re-think doing phone contests.
I cut my teeth in contesting on phone contests,
but now that I also do CW & RTTY, I'm beginning to wonder if
I should reduce activity on phone slugfests.

I suppose I have been spoiled by CW & RTTY.
You MAY occasionally hear a station with raspy CW,
or a transmitter with dynamic instability.
RTTY signals are usually quite clean and undistorted, but
PHONE CONTESTS, with SO MANY people that have
the "all knobs to the right" attitude, frankly, MY EARS HURT.

I have found a BUNCH of stations that are/were splattering +/- 20 kc
and that is with the 20dB pad ON, and the RF gain rediuced.
It is a shame that they DO NOT UNDERSTAND that this philosophy
REDUCES intelligibility.

In addition, these guys that have to say their calls like they are
GATLING GUNS and MUST spit it out at 1000 rounds/minute.
AND the guys that can ONLY SAY...QRZ ?
Never announcing their callsign.

OK, rant over...for now !

Gimme about 4 advils.

I run my audio gain and compression at the exact same levels I do to ragchew with Europe and I don't think it cost me a single point.  I agree with everything except quitting.  Many of these stations run much too much compression and it really sounds horrible.  Combine that with some digital voice recorders which really change the voice and it's a big mess.

Chris/NU1O
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2012, 11:25:54 PM »

Well, I think your Qs will do nothing but slow the process down even further  Angry

Good job on the contest.

I put my focus on 10m as I needed bandfills really bad on this band and I managed to work over 80 mults on 10m.  Nothing stellar and no ATNOs for me in the entire contest.  I still remember the good o' days where I would work 10 or even 20 ATNOs in a single contest.  Those days are over.

I'm only running 600w and I feel a bit outgunned.  There were a number of local stations that beat me in the pileups.  Not surprising really, as I believe they are running legal limit (or perhaps more)!  In these contests I feel more like a QRP station, just calling and calling in vain  Angry

Jonathan W6GX
SV1XV

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 12:51:55 AM »

I have already got the first LoTW QSL for CQWW SSB, it is from GI4SNA, the QSL timestamp is 2012-10-28 23:54:23.

EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2012, 02:59:01 AM »

I've allready got 80 matches from my 980 Q's so LOTW is alive and well

Trevor
EI2GLB
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2012, 03:16:04 AM »

I was out of town at a reunion.  Came home and decided to check the bands.
Worked a JA on 10 and his 59, 25 report made me realize that I had forgotten about
the contest.  Then just minutes before the WW was over I worked KG6DX!
So Guam  eludes me no more.  Don't believe in luck?  I sure do.

Allen KA5N
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2012, 04:59:21 AM »

Thanks all for the QSOs - I recognize quite a few calls here as those who called in over the weekend.  I really prefer CW to SSB but had to do one of these seriously while here on Guam.  Ended up with about 6,500 Qs in the log so I'm very happy.  Amazing stateside runs but Europe was a bit of a struggle due to all the QRM coming out of zone 24.  10m is trashed with BY person-to-person AM and FM radios splattering across the entire band, often S9+10db.  At least on CW you can use narrow filters to pick through it, but there is no way to escape it on SSB.

Just uploaded the log to LOTW so the hits should show up as soon as the LOTW robot processes it.

Already looking forward to doing this again next month - hopefully the low bands behave much better and that the high bands stay as good or better than this past weekend.

73, Dave KH2/N2NL (NH2T)
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2012, 11:18:10 AM »

Thanks all for the QSOs - I recognize quite a few calls here as those who called in over the weekend.  I really prefer CW to SSB but had to do one of these seriously while here on Guam.  Ended up with about 6,500 Qs in the log so I'm very happy.  Amazing stateside runs but Europe was a bit of a struggle due to all the QRM coming out of zone 24.  10m is trashed with BY person-to-person AM and FM radios splattering across the entire band, often S9+10db.  At least on CW you can use narrow filters to pick through it, but there is no way to escape it on SSB.

Just uploaded the log to LOTW so the hits should show up as soon as the LOTW robot processes it.

Already looking forward to doing this again next month - hopefully the low bands behave much better and that the high bands stay as good or better than this past weekend.

73, Dave KH2/N2NL (NH2T)

NH2T...hey, I know that call from 10m.

Well, that is over.
Rather poor results here.
Only ended up with 540 Q's. I am strictly low power.
100 watts to either a 4BTV or a chunk of zip cord.

490,000+ points, WAY down from last years score.
I had 819,000+ post log checking in '11.

Now for the CW flavor next month.

Over all, it has been a bit of a BUST year for me in CQ-WW.

During RTTY, I busted up my knee, couldn't walk and was in severe
pain for most of the weekend. Ended up spending the weekend in bed.

Phone rersults poor this past weekend, I only have CW
to redeem myself.

Let's see what happens.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2012, 01:07:55 PM »

Thanks for the three Q's, Dave. Especially the one on 40. That was a pleasant surprise. My LoTW upload was there when I woke up this morning so I guess they fixed whatever the problem was after last year's issues. Glad to see it, to be honest.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2012, 03:05:04 PM »

Glad to help... thanks for calling in!  Hopefully low band conditions will be better over the CW weekend so we have a shot for 80m.  I put in a lot of effort to install a new long (1100ft) Beverage toward NA that's deep in the jungle and is very quiet.  Unfortunately low band conditions were not good last weekend so I didn't get to use it much.

-Dave
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: