Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham for a month, and I hate contesters already.  (Read 17265 times)
KC9TNH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 03:17:11 PM »

I've been monitoring 14.300 and it's entertaining.

There's a bunch of people from the net are trying to reason and plead with DR1D, who is stomping the net 50 Hz down.

Most of these guys are not identifying. Some of the are saying that he's interfering with "emergency communications", which is not actually the case. So there's enough lid behavior to go around for everyone.

DR1D is just ignoring them all and continuing his run.

I bet if someone with a signal were to come on and tell DR1D that they'll file a complaint with the contest organizers, he'd move.

Well someone got his attention finally but he's arguing with them about the bandwidth needed by the net.

Such behavior by DR1D and many others this weekend around a frequency recognized by all 3 IARU regions will not change until the people with the rhetoric walk their own talk and disallow the contacts. Many were ON 14300 not just within a few hundred Hz (and less). It won't change. I see GILGSN's frustration to a certain point but he may not understand, for example, such things as routine Canadian SSB contacts in the US 40m CW area. This is nothing new; it's their band plan. Coming into the "house" of the contesters with a rant probably isn't going to accomplish much.

Many such participating in the contest were completely dismissive of requests to QSY even when acknowledging the net control operator directly and MANY net relays attempted to engage politely with their callsign - some stations responded, many suddenly had auditory exclusion. Has nothing to do with a particular freq or not in this case. People were already in QSO (in this case a net) and the closer it gets to 2359Z the behavior amplifies (no pun). Thankfully, it will go away, the blood will be mopped up and the bodies will be counted.

Now if one needs OJT in net operations in an intentionally hostile operating environment, working WWDX SSB on 14300 is just the ticket.
 Grin

Happy trails. Try all to be considerate of each other. Nothing will change until certain bodies aren't counted. When that happens, people will stop collecting them.

Wes -KC9TNH
"Don't get treed by a chihuahua." - Pete
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 04:29:47 PM »

I have a very good idea of what I'm talking about. When the Maritime Net on 14,300 can't operate because of contest calling, that is wrong. I'm glad I'm not at sea calling mayday, someone would reply with a contest number.. When a band is overrun with people calling contest every four seconds on QRP calling frequencies, that is wrong. There is no two ways about it. You guys ever heard of the "DX code of conduct?" Do your contesting all you want, I don't care, but keep in mind that you're not the only ones on the air. You're bothering a lot of people, and for what? A piece of paper? You guys need to keep your egos in check and be more considerate. If I was trying to keep you from contesting you'd be pissed off, right? So, yeah, I'm frustrated because every week-end there are some people bullying everyone else out of the bands. Why don't you clean up your ranks, establish some considerate contesting rules and maybe gain back some respect? It wouldn't take much. Just stay clear of well known calling frequencies, especially the QRP ones, and stay clear of 14,300. That would go a long way. The Maritime Mobile Net today has a hell of a time trying to operate. There are people at sea who may have a dire need to pass traffic. God forbid any emergency. Check 14300.net, it's a world-wide very well known and respected frequency.

No, I'm not going to join the "fun." I like talking to people... I'm not criticizing contesting. I don't understand the motivations, it's just weird to me. But I believe one should be able to enjoy their hobbies. The problem is when one's hobby is stepping on another and potentially hindering emergency communications. I'm sure some of you guys are great people, but many contesters could learn about basic human interaction and decency. Do contest organizations publish guidelines? From what I hear, I sure don't think so.

Gil.

Amateur radio is NOT a substitute for the PROPER radio equipment on a vessel.
If some IDIOT is going to trust THEIR safety to a bunch of NET-NUTS
then they DESERVE to SINK !

Nets are a waste of spectrum...PERIOD !

Relying on a net of OLD-GREY half DEAD men wearing revolving
yellow lights on their heads to get attention and PROVE their worth is foolish.

Proper COMMERCIAL HF and VHF radio plus the
PROPER location beacons are the equipment of the day.

B O A T...BUST out another THOUSAND ! on a vessel are critical.

IF you can afford a boat, then you CAN afford the
proper equipment.

Again, AMATEUR RADIO is NO SUBSTITUTE for the PROPER gear !
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 04:32:47 PM by KB3LIX » Logged
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 04:58:33 PM »

proper equipment.

Did we miss our meds today?

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 05:36:37 PM »

The nasty tone of some answers is very disappointing.

KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 05:37:24 PM »

proper equipment.

Did we miss our meds today?

No...not really.

It just pisses me off that these clowns spend BIG BUX on a boat but want to skimp on safety. THEIR BUTTS DEPEND ON BEING ABLE TO REACH
THE COAST GUARD IF THERE IS AN EMERGENCY.

Depending ion an amateur radio NET is BS !

Don't stock the GOOD stuff in the bar, spend
those $$$ on proper radio/emergency equipment.

The Coast Guard monitors both HF & VHF frequencies,
get the proper gear to contact them the correct way,.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 06:45:33 PM »

Hi,

I actually agree with you in your point, a person, who depends solely on Ham Radio for health and welfare is a person that will find themselves in problems over time.  Proper communications equipment ins a boat is a must, ham is second.  However, I disagree with your point about nets...  Nets are for the most part a good thing.  They assist people when all else fails...

73's Dave

Thanks,
Dave
N7KFD

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »

Contests should be outlawed, they should bring back the CW licensing requirement, digital modes should be moved away from the CW frequencies (what else), no one should be allowed to use amplifiers, everyone should be forced to use beam antennas, QRP is a waist of time, everyone should have to use amplifiers, CW is to hard to learn and those frequencies should be used for something else, contests should be allowed on the WARC bands and if you don't have the same radio that I do then yours sucks!

If I left out any flames is was do to my Alzheimers and not done intentionally.

KASSY

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2012, 08:48:34 PM »

"Hate" is a very strong word.  Normally not used by polite people, and even less often used in ham radio.

My experience with ham radio sort of spans generations.  I listened to Granddad make QSOs and have round tables, and do contesting.  I knew CW long before I was interested in a license.  My dad did not develop his dad's interest, and I was able to use Grandpa's radios when he was there as control op.  I never thought of having a station of my own.  When Grandpa passed away, I was given his radios because nobody else in the family had shown an interest.  I remembered those days.  The weekends of contests, when he'd look at the contest rules and decide whether to join, or to just use the mode that the contest didn't use.

Assuming you're a US ham, get your Extra class license.  It's not hard - nearly half of US hams are Extras, and my local VE team says that 95% of those who take the test pass it.  Then, on an SSB contest weekend, you can slide down to the bottom 25kHz, where even foreign SSB stations typically won't go.

Remember, this is a global hobby.  Some foreign countries don't provide the bandwidth we US hams get.  This is especially true on 40 meters, where the foreign hams are sometimes restricted below 7.1!!  They're not permitted to use SSB in the frequencies we get!

"From what I hear" is a really bad way to start a sentence...it says you're about to spew gossip.  Don't do that.  Go listen for yourself.  The WARC bands ARE immune...no contests are done on the WARC bands.  People who like to avoid contests move to the WARC bands during contest weekends, so those bands are a bit busier.

This was an SSB contest.  It has been said that you're not a real ham until you're multi-mode, so pull that mic off the rig and do digital modes or CW.

Or, as others have said, join the fun.  My station is meager, but there are plenty of pretty decent contest stations near me, so I spent 8 hours on the air and worked more countries and QSOs than I ever could from my station and had a blast.  You could do that too.

Or make it a non-ham weekend.  Ham radio isn't the only thing in life, right?  If I couldn't do ham radio, I have other things.  I have house projects, I have songs to write (that's my profession) and practice...

This Maritime net always puzzles me.  It is mentioned here on eham, but I've never heard it.  I've listened on 14.300.  I've left a radio on for hours while I was doing something else and heard nothing.  Is this net operating 24X7?  If so, are the stations using attic dipoles?  I have not ever heard a net on that frequency.  A polite contester would ask if the frequency is in use before CQing, but if a person with an attic-mounted dipole responds, they might not be heard.  There's a rediculous amount of "his freq" and "her freq" these days, and nobody can be expected to have them committed to memory.  If you check the ARRL net guide, there's a net on every frequency, how is one to know where to operate, whether for contesting, ragchewing or traffic handling?  The Maritime net surely knows about emergency preparedness, which includes, for all nets I'm part of, a backup band and frequency.  They probably have a WARC frequency as backup, as a place to go during contest weekends.  I'd bet they went there.  In fact, I'm not sure why any net would not pick a WARC band anyway, since that's a way to avoid contests.

Take it easy, cool off on your hatred, think of solutions, not confrontation, and you'll learn how to be a part of this hobby and not just a part of only a part of it.

- k
SV1XV

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 12:34:48 AM »

This Maritime net always puzzles me.  It is mentioned here on eham, but I've never heard it.  
It's because this particular net operates only during major SSB contests....

NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2012, 01:18:09 AM »

Now that is funny!  Smiley  Good one!

73's

Thanks,
Dave
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2012, 04:35:31 AM »

ROFLMAO!  Cheesy

@Kassy: Spoken like a true Elmer. A great example on how one should reply on to such statements.

W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2012, 05:02:25 AM »

When I read the words "I hate..." it reminds me of a 3 year old throwng a temper tantrum.

What "I" want to do is more important,  so everybody else is wrong.
tsk tsk
KC2ZPK

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2012, 05:41:38 AM »

Especially this week-end! Can't you guys stay away from QRP calling frequencies, CW band segments and the Maritime Net on 14300?
Last night I had to find refuge in the lower part of 40m, and even there, it was hard to find a quiet space. I heard SSB stations with their 3kHz wide signals in the Extra CW part of the band! Forget 7030 and it's vicinity.. I couldn't get away from the contesters there. I just can't understand such a lack of respect. It's bullying at it's best. I've been a ham for a little more than a month, and I can't stand contesters already. I don't bother you with my hobby, don't bother me with yours!

From what I hear, WARC bands are not immune either.

You guys give Ham Radio a bad name.

Gil.

Gil,
By your own admittance you have been a ham for less than a month, yet you hate something? How is that possible? You probably don't have enough hours on air to be qualified to judge other hams.

Was it hard to find a quiet space? Yea, except for 12, 17, 30,lower sections of 40 and 80 were quiet, VHF, UHF...

Were there Phone QSOs in the CW 'space'? Like someone mentioned, check the band plans for the other regions. We, USA, in Region 2, are not the only ones in the world.

As far as Nets.... While I do respect the need for some nets, No One owns a frequency. even the beloved Maritime Net. Is it respected? Yes, most hams will stay clear of the net by 5kc, only 3kc is needed. If 3kc is not enough space for emergency comms, then perhaps they need better equipment... Region 1 declared it the "Global Emergency" frequency, others have not followed suit, yet. And I can testify that every time I scanned through that area of the band during he contest this weekend, it was like my receiver went deaf. Almost pure white noise, and the one or two QSOs that I heard were definitely not contest QSOs.  Now I am a fairly new ham as well, and still learning. And one of the things I think you have to learn is that some groups have been messing with other groups since the beginning of time. One group in particular just loves to mess with 14.300, and some participants of 14.300 are no angels either. If there is no net in operation, then 14.300 is open for all to use as they see fit, yet some will guard dog that frequency +/-10kc like their life depends on it, yet only white noise is heard for hours.

BTW, Gil, what is your call?

John
KC2ZPK

John
KC2ZPK.com - A work in progress
W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2012, 09:50:31 AM »

Waaaah!!!
KC9TNH

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2012, 01:04:50 PM »

This Maritime net always puzzles me.  It is mentioned here on eham, but I've never heard it.  I've listened on 14.300...
They aren't 24x7. There are several nets going on that frequency, depending upon time of day and geographic area that needs to be covered; MMSN is just one of them. And, can't recall the post, yes, all 3 IARU regions recognize that freq (apparently in theory vs. practice), along with others on other bands, as GCOA and request contesters give 2.5kHz either side. The agreements say 5kHz, plus/minus. All 3 band plans have that designated.  None of this has any teeth of course. You can look at http://mmsn.org/iaru.html

if it matters, or not.

Any number of reasons you might not hear them, could be time of day, could be an NCS has his/her beam turned toward a vessel they hear & you don't, shucks, it's HF radio.
Contesting & net operations & CW & digital & everything else are achievable with civility.
Even these.  Smiley

Wes -KC9TNH
"Don't get treed by a chihuahua." - Pete
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: