Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham for a month, and I hate contesters already.  (Read 14812 times)
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »

I think Kassy's post really spoke volumes,
addressing all the issues the original poster raised.
Particularly that other countries don't have the
same mode/frequency setups we do.

And yes, there IS already too much hate
in this world. Try not to add to it, especially
over something that, in the big picture, is quite trivial.

Peace & 73, Ken  AD6KA
AA0CW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2012, 05:22:10 PM »

It was a couple of days. You couldn't do without ham radio for a couple of days? Go fishing, talk to a neighbor, read a book?

I made some great non contest contacts on 30 meters. JT65, PSK31, PSK63, RTTY lots of stations were on. Also this weekend was a chance for everyone to get their DXCC award since so many countries were on.

Gosh, it's just a hobby.
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2012, 10:48:08 AM »

It was a couple of days. You couldn't do without ham radio for a couple of days? Go fishing, talk to a neighbor, read a book?

I made some great non contest contacts on 30 meters. JT65, PSK31, PSK63, RTTY lots of stations were on. Also this weekend was a chance for everyone to get their DXCC award since so many countries were on.

Gosh, it's just a hobby.

hi hi I bet a lot of people were on the 30M Multi Mode weekend just to get contacts in the log for 30MDG awards and band fills for the others. A sort of non-contest contest eh?
NN3W

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2012, 10:55:51 AM »

This Maritime net always puzzles me.  It is mentioned here on eham, but I've never heard it.  I've listened on 14.300...

They aren't 24x7.

Thats right, they're not.  But the same things you blast contesters for (not QSYing, selective listening, etc.), seems to happen to MMSN NCS stations as well.  There are numerous instances where a station has been on 14.299 or 14.300 hours before the grand parade of MMSN folks show up on 14.300 at 1100z.  What happens at 1100z, the MMSN fires up regardless of who has been there, announces that it is an "emergency net" or a "global center of activity" and promptly attempts to bullrush and intimidate stations who had properly been there before.

There are several nets going on that frequency, depending upon time of day and geographic area that needs to be covered; MMSN is just one of them. And, can't recall the post, yes, all 3 IARU regions recognize that freq (apparently in theory vs. practice), along with others on other bands, as GCOA and request contesters give 2.5kHz either side.

And the ARRL has stated that "band plans" are designed to operate under normal band loading conditions.  Contests are not normal band loading owing the large volume of stations on.  I'll also note that the IARU seems to recognize a GCOA on 17 meters, but there appears to be no attempt made to utilize this alternate frequency.  Its apparently 14.300 or NOTHING.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2012, 01:34:01 PM »

I think the world is big enough that people can speak respectfully to each other and cooperate or accommodate each other reasonably. Usually any problem is a little bit of both sides.

Or has the TEA party invaded Ham radio mentality?
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2012, 01:48:04 PM »

One can only HOPE for CHANGE so long and then reality kicks in!!! I like a TEA .... party ..... with milk and sugar please!! In fact I'm having one the evening of Nov 6th Smiley

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
GILGSN

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2012, 03:10:43 PM »

"Hate" is a very strong word.  Normally not used by polite people, and even less often used in ham radio.

Yes, that is too strong a word, I was very frustrated that day...

Gil.
W1EL

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2012, 03:57:37 PM »

I think the world is big enough that people can speak respectfully to each other and cooperate or accommodate each other reasonably. Usually any problem is a little bit of both sides.

Bringing politics in to a previously non-political discussion is akin to trolling, IMHO.

Best Regards, Eric
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2012, 05:21:54 PM »

GILGSN,
Do you have a call sign?

73's
Dave

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2012, 07:29:07 AM »

Bringing politics in to a previously non-political discussion is akin to trolling, IMHO.

Hear hear

Mike N2MG
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2012, 02:10:34 PM »

One can only HOPE for CHANGE so long and then reality kicks in!!! I like a TEA .... party ..... with milk and sugar please!! In fact I'm having one the evening of Nov 6th Smiley

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
N0BLM

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2012, 07:11:25 PM »

I made contacts through the chatter, a little difficult but was able

to make a few new friends, 
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2012, 08:26:01 PM »

I was going to torture myself this past weekend but it didnt work out. I had to be away from the house so I figured a little QRP with the Buddipole on 10 or 15 might be good. I understand completely that all I probably would be doing is wasting time but then here comes Sandy. I really didnt want to put the Buddipole up in the wind we were having here in NC so no go. I have used contest to work new countries or to fill band slots. I have got to the point that when I get tired of all the craziness with the contest I go to 17 and try to work DX or maybe ragchew or whatever. My plans were to operate for a few hours and then go deer hunting. Neither happened.

Ham radio is a hobby with many other hobbies in it. I like the DX chase. Some people like contesting. We all have our place(s) in this hobby. I move around to find something that is open and try it there. I may have decided to deer hunt all day Saturday instead of the radio. It is my choice what to do and at times I understand the frustration. Dont be frustrated. Try another mode/band.
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2012, 06:02:31 PM »

I was really bummed out with all the contest noise on the bands.. So I took the dogs out for a run and took a nap after that and watched a movie and played with the dogs some more and oh heck I just didnt play radio...Oh I also did some shopping on eBay for radio gear!! LOL

Dan
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2012, 07:02:06 PM »

Especially this week-end! Can't you guys stay away from QRP calling frequencies, CW band segments and the Maritime Net on 14300?
Last night I had to find refuge in the lower part of 40m, and even there, it was hard to find a quiet space. I heard SSB stations with their 3kHz wide signals in the Extra CW part of the band! Forget 7030 and it's vicinity.. I couldn't get away from the contesters there. I just can't understand such a lack of respect. It's bullying at it's best. I've been a ham for a little more than a month, and I can't stand contesters already. I don't bother you with my hobby, don't bother me with yours!

From what I hear, WARC bands are not immune either.

You guys give Ham Radio a bad name.

Gil.

You sound like a grumpy old negative miseraab!

Untie the knot in your big old pink panty's!

Wink
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: