Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham for a month, and I hate contesters already.  (Read 15635 times)
KD2AJO

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2012, 10:00:29 AM »

Some may say that contesting is a waste of the bands but if you listen to hf on weekdays it's nothing but small talk and ragchew, which isn't that important either. If that's what your into VHF is a great spot for that.
KD4EBL

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2012, 06:43:50 AM »

I guess I had a very different experience. I participated in the contest, though I only had 20 some contacts. I added 4 new countries (in like 10 minutes) and had a blast. Felt pretty good with my results for never being in a contest before and having no idea what I was doing. I worked some pileups, listen (and learned) a lot and started to see how many find this a great part of the hobby. Put everything in my log and learned how to summit my log in the (hopefully) correct format. Ham Radio has 100s if not 1000s of ways to be involved, modes to learn, people to meet, ways to participate. Persoanlly I love the people and continous learning (and trying) all these different aspects. I am sure some will not be to my liking, but I will find that out for myself, in any event, I will always maintain respect for those that do.

Scott KD4EBL
KJ3Q

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2012, 07:36:27 PM »

I had a similar experience to Scott. I used the contest to log a few countries. It was nice to hear all the activity on the bands. I spent some time just listening to some operators that really know how to work a pileup efficiently. Although i was not competing, i submitted my log to CQ and LotW so the contesters can get the QSO points. A fun weekend and no reason for the OP to get his panties in a bunch.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 08:12:58 PM by KJ4GOV » Logged
WA7NDD

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2012, 05:09:07 AM »

Do what I do. Turn off the radio and do something different.
CW is a lot more fun during the week without raising your
blood pressure on the week end.
Suggest PSK31, at 69 it's more fun and longer conversations.
I know if I want to talk to someone, if I can hear them, I can
talk to them I don't need a contest to prove it.
I gave up chasing DX years ago, I'd rather have
a nice QSO. I really liked CW back in 1960 to early 1970's, you
could ask the DX stations questions and get answers, that
is if it was not the USSR. Remember Box 88 Moscow.
Jim, WA7NDD
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2012, 08:41:23 AM »

Especially this week-end! Can't you guys stay away from QRP calling frequencies, CW band segments and the Maritime Net on 14300?
Last night I had to find refuge in the lower part of 40m, and even there, it was hard to find a quiet space. I heard SSB stations with their 3kHz wide signals in the Extra CW part of the band! Forget 7030 and it's vicinity.. I couldn't get away from the contesters there. I just can't understand such a lack of respect. It's bullying at it's best. I've been a ham for a little more than a month, and I can't stand contesters already. I don't bother you with my hobby, don't bother me with yours!

From what I hear, WARC bands are not immune either.

You guys give Ham Radio a bad name.

Gil.
I smell a troll post.  I have a sneaky hunch that the poster isn't really a "new" ham, but one of the usual suspects, grousing that "his" frequency was infringed on... you know, the one he thinks he holds title to...
SV1XV

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2012, 09:09:10 AM »

I smell a troll post.  I have a sneaky hunch that the poster isn't really a "new" ham, but one of the usual suspects, grousing that "his" frequency was infringed on...

Smiley  Smiley
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2012, 05:28:46 PM »

If so, he/she gets no sympathy from me.  Everyone has same rights to frequencies, and if a big bunch of contesters show up, their rights are same as anyone else.  So its crowded.  So what.  Rush hour traffic is busy too.  Contest/No contest argument has been going on for many decades.  Contests exist because a lot of hams like 'em. 
KD5PME

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2012, 06:10:41 PM »

I think the world is big enough that people can speak respectfully to each other and cooperate or accommodate each other reasonably. Usually any problem is a little bit of both sides.

Or has the TEA party invaded Ham radio mentality?

Ham radio could use more of the Tea Party mentality.
NQ3X

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2012, 01:29:49 AM »

What, gas on and on about taxes and history while understanding neither?   Wink
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2012, 07:06:00 AM »

I search for new countries during contests. It gives me more chances for hunt and pounce DX. I go from bottom to top of the band and if I hear a country I need I try to contact because then the OP on the other end needs you and you need him. When I get tired of I find something else to do. I go to the WARC bands and see what I can do. 17 is my favorite all around band any way so I will gladly go to it any time.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: