Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FCC CW Test Content  (Read 12022 times)
K2PHD

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2013, 10:17:15 AM »

I took both the 2nd Class Radiotelegraph and the General Amateur code tests in NYC in 1975 and I had to receive and transmit numerals, punctuation and letters for commercial and typical QSO for amateur.
K6TTE

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2013, 01:50:32 PM »

Yes, I remember having two ways to pass the test.  Answer 10 questions (7 correct passed, I think) or 1 minute correct copy.  I got rattled at the beginning and missed the call signs, so the 10 questions avenue was out.  I managed to buckle down and copy 1 minute 100% correct and passed.  Whew!   Grin
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2013, 04:38:03 PM »

I took a code test for 13wpm and a radio-theory exam (General & Advanced), in 1969 at the FCC Field Office in Pittsburg, PA.  Passed them both..

Took the code test for 20 wpm and radio theory exam (Extra), in 1998 before a VE team...

Ken KC8Y

KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2013, 03:32:41 PM »

When I took the Amateur Extra exam at the FCC New York field office in 1971, the content of the cw test (played on paper tape on a 1930's style code machine) consisted of ship position reports (latitude and longitude coordinates).  Evidently, the FCC used the same tape for amateur and commercial examinations.  Does anyone else remember the content of their FCC cw examinations?  --Neil N3DF

Neil ...

I took the General, Advanced and Extra tests at the FCC New York field office in the final quarter of  1972 and first quarter of 1973.

The cw tests were texts of a typical Amateur Radio QSO  -- name, QTH, weather,  type and number of tubes in the radio, etc.

Mel - KS2G

WD8KNI

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2013, 03:25:48 AM »

I took the CW test at the Chicago FCC office (39th floor of the Federal Bldg.) in November 1975.  As I recall, I was sent 5-letter groups of random letters and numbers, e.g.  KFBT7, AV43T, 90HGH, etc.

same here same office, same floor 1973, 5-letter groups, random letters and numbers, required one minute error free.. 
K5WLR

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2013, 02:50:23 PM »

Well, let's see.... got my novice in December of 1974 at Myrtle Beach AFB, SC. The test was given by a 1st Lieutenant (as I recall). There were four of us that passed and I became WN4LQO.

My tour in the USAF ended and I went home to St. Petersburg. Back then, you had to upgrade after 2 years or start over again. In 1976, I went to the FCC Field Office in Tampa, FL and took my Element 3 exam. No instant upgrade then. Received a letter from the FCC Field Office a couple of days later. I could see through the envelope "Notice of Failure of Amateur Radio Examination." My heart sank as I opened the envelope. This was my last opportunity to upgrade before my license expired. Looking at the form, there was nothing checked... what the heck? I flipped the card over. The note on the other side said I had passed Element 3 and they were forwarding my paperwork to Gettysburg for processing. I was now WA4LQO. Wow!  Roll Eyes

I went to college in Boca Raton, FL and, having finished my student teaching early, I worked on getting my code speed up to 13 WPM and studied for the Advanced Class license. In March of 1982, I drove to the downtown Miami FCC Field Office for the tests. First came the code... I put on an old set of wireless headphones and the code test started... my "magic pencil" started to copy every word, number and punctuation. I began to relax and tilted my head. The code faded away and I almost got whiplash snapping my head back upright. Just missing a couple of characters, I copied the rest of the QSO. The test was 10 questions, fill the blank. No problem with that or the Advanced theory.

In the late 80s, some of my ham friends said I should become a volunteer examiner. Wanting to be able to give all the exams, I began to work on my code once again and studied the Extra Class theory. After a few months, I felt I was ready, so I went to a VE session in Lake Worth, FL. This was in April of 1991. The lead VE would ask, "Did you study?" If you answered yes, then he said, "Then you'll pass!" I had and I did. I worked with this VE group for a number of years.

The code tests I took at the Miami FCC Field Office and the Lake Worth, FL VE session were both one side of an amateur QSO.

I became W4WLR in 1996 and, when my YF and I moved to AR, I became K5WLR.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!  Cool
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 02:53:38 PM by K5WLR » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: