Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ST. PETER & ST. PAUL ROCKS  (Read 3219 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 01:14:53 PM »

This one is going to be no walk in the park, only 2 stations and 1 of those is going to spend 12hrs a day on 160,

The Op's should try to give everyone a chance to get at least 1 or 2 slots and not try to do all bands and modes,

Personally I think spending 12hrs a day on 160 is a complete waste of time but i'm sure they have there reasons,

Trevor
EI2GLB

Knowing two of these ops like I do (George and Tomi), I am going to bet if the 160 station is not productive, they will use it elsewhere. These two guys are as good as they come at band utilization, IMHO.

73, Gene AF3Y
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 02:59:51 PM »

What Gene said.  George AA7JV is a low band nut - he really enjoys the challenge and the propagation which is still not fully understood.  12 hours on 160m is what drives him and which is why he's going - the rest is gravy.  To put it another way, he probably wouldn't be going (nor would he have gone to VK9, etc) without having the 160m bug.  As a low band fanatic, I understand this fully but I know why others could be baffled.

You should read the web site blog which explains how George swam between islands to find a quiet location for remote RX antennas - amazing!  They should be very workable even on 160.

HA7JV runs guys like crazy and does a great job filling on on the other bands.  This will be a great DXpedition and lots of guys will make it into the log for a new one - just don't expect to get every band mode (this won't be a Clublog top 100 listing competition)

If I ever end up going to KH9 it would probably be a similar situation - lower band focus (perhaps not as much as PT0S) and 99% CW.  Sorry - it's a hobby and it's the aspect that interests me.

73, Dave
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »

What Gene said.  George AA7JV is a low band nut - he really enjoys the challenge and the propagation which is still not fully understood.  12 hours on 160m is what drives him and which is why he's going - the rest is gravy.  To put it another way, he probably wouldn't be going (nor would he have gone to VK9, etc) without having the 160m bug.  As a low band fanatic, I understand this fully but I know why others could be baffled.

You should read the web site blog which explains how George swam between islands to find a quiet location for remote RX antennas - amazing!  They should be very workable even on 160.

HA7JV runs guys like crazy and does a great job filling on on the other bands.  This will be a great DXpedition and lots of guys will make it into the log for a new one - just don't expect to get every band mode (this won't be a Clublog top 100 listing competition)

If I ever end up going to KH9 it would probably be a similar situation - lower band focus (perhaps not as much as PT0S) and 99% CW.  Sorry - it's a hobby and it's the aspect that interests me.

73, Dave

I got bit by the low band bug last December.  I am with you on being excited about the focus on top band.  Lets hope I can snag him there.  It shouldn't be impossible, I heard Malpelo really strong on 160m. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 05:00:29 PM »

N2NL wrote:
As a low band fanatic, I understand this fully but I know why others could be baffled

Dave, I recall working you on KH2 on top band a couple of years ago.  It was a thrill hearing zone 27 here in Missouri, and your signals were really strong that morning.  I'm in the low band fanatic category, too.

Chuck  NI0C
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 07:45:34 PM »

ATNO here, so bring it on, anywhere from 160m to 10m, cw/ssb/rtty.
Just need 1 Q and band fills are gravy.

krish
w4vku
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 06:05:22 AM »

Thanks for the reminder.  I was wondering what dxped. is next.  Is this a new one for almost everyone here?

Jonathan W6GX

Yes.....and if it weren't for the fact that I was snoozing back in 02 during the S.Georgia/S.Sandwich operations, PT0S WOULD be the last one needed to complete South America.....Ya snooze, ya lose!.... Roll Eyes Undecided........Ain't snoozing on this one!......

V
KA3NRX
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 10:25:08 AM »

I worked ZW0S waaaay back in 2003. Could use this on CW this time around.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 03:26:16 PM »

UPDATE!!

http://www.pt0s.com/news.html#1031121319

73, Gene AF3Y
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 03:29:58 PM »

I have ordered my caffeine I-V so I can stay up 24 hours a day until I get a QSO.  Grin
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 04:02:12 PM »

>>>I have ordered my caffeine I-V so I can stay up 24 hours a day until I get a QSO.  <<<<

Lol

Good luck Larry et all
Krish
w4vku
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 03:32:44 AM »

Sailing tonight and QRV on 160 on the 9th!

http://www.pt0s.com/news.html#1105120545

73, Gene AF3Y
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 12:44:03 PM »

I got bit by the low band bug last December.  I am with you on being excited about the focus on top band.  Lets hope I can snag him there.  It shouldn't be impossible, I heard Malpelo really strong on 160m. 

When 20 meters closed last night to the US I went to 40 and 80 for the CW Sweepstakes and although I know it is still early in the season and QRN levels will subside 1/2 hour of S9 QRN levels was all I could take. Combine that with just a half acre lot and I just don't ever see myself as a big fan of the low bands. I'll finish my 80 and 40 meter WAS and DXCC awards but that's about it.

Now, 30 meters is a band I enjoy. I worked a strong JA the other morning. It has the DX like qualities of 20 meters but it doesn't usually have anywhere near the QRN levels that 40 or 80 have.  If my tower could handle it I'd love a 2 element 30/40 meter beam to go along with the Skyhawk.  The problem is Bencher appears to have used some very creative engineering calculations to arrive at the wind load figures they publicize for the Skyhawk so it may be too risky to put up another antenna on the TX-455.

Chris/NU1O
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2012, 12:48:00 PM »

I wish they were spending more time on the bands I work but it is their dime.  I just need them on 1 band for DXCC #315 among the active list.

I just hope they have a safe trip with no problems.

Chris/NU1O
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2012, 02:24:33 PM »

Chris,
I heard you last evening on 80m in the SS.  You were doing S&P (as I was), otherwise I would have called you. 
I'm confident you'll work PT0S on some of the higher bands, as they will have plenty of daylight for operating, too. 

GL & 73,
Chuck  NI0C
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2012, 03:55:06 PM »

Chris,
I heard you last evening on 80m in the SS.  You were doing S&P (as I was), otherwise I would have called you. 
I'm confident you'll work PT0S on some of the higher bands, as they will have plenty of daylight for operating, too. 

GL & 73,
Chuck  NI0C
Hi Chuck,

With a little more CW practice I will try to run a frequency but I'm still uncomfortable if a number of stations come at me at the same time.  So, for now I'll do S&P.  I was only in the SS to pick up some needed states for LoTW, and I like to give out points in all the contests.  I have most states worked but the LoTW participation is not as widespread as I'd like.

After 8 hours of listening to Morse I was very comfortable with the speeds being sent but I need to do a little more CW operating every day.  You, OTOH, are already very proficient at high speed CW.

How do you like the MA8040V?  I have the same problem as you: the pool takes up most of the yard until the cover goes on around the middle of September. I bought some missing parts to my first antenna - a Butternut Vertical - and I may put that together and lay some ground radials this week so I have a second low band antenna. I was on the inverted V during SS but running a kW.  The Transmatch is a Palstar AT5K to handle the power from the Alpha 8410.

Hope to work you sometime on CW, Chuck.

I have a QSL from Atol de las Rocas (My spelling is no doubt wrong) which I thought was St. Peter & St. Paul Rocks for years until one day I actually read the card closely and it said it was part of Fernando de Noronha.  What a bummer that was! 

I should work PT0S fairly easily but I'd like to work them on the Big Three DX bands (10, 15, 20).

Chris/NU1O
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: