Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CQ DX Contest Log Question  (Read 1530 times)
WF7BSR

Ignore
« on: October 28, 2012, 04:54:46 PM »

Probably a really dumb question, but here goes: I am using the paper log for the current CQ DX Contest going on this weekend...the 6th column from the left is labeled "PX OF COUNTRY" -- what am I to enter in that column?   Embarrassed 

Note:  I know there are all sorts of logging programs I can run on a computer, but up until now I've used a computer only for checking emails, and when it gets messed up my grandkids/nieces/nephews usually have to come over to put it right; so I need to find one made for computer dummy like me.  So I chose to use the paper log this first time.

This was my first contest, and the first contact I made in the contest was only the second contact I've made since getting my antenna up...this weekend showed me how frustrating QRP is, when you're new and uneducated re: this hobby. Oh well, it will get better as I learn, LOL. I was able to make a whopping 10 contacts, after about 10-hours trying over two days...but that's more than zero and I learned a bit about how it works...except for that column labeled "PX OF COUNTRY"...if someone could please tell me what I'm supposed to enter in that spot, then I can get the thing mailed in...

Thank you for your time and assistance;

Raymond - WF7BSR
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 05:39:27 PM »

You should enter the prefix (PX) of the country you worked.
For instance The Netherlands in PA, Belgium is ON, Poland is SP and so on.
Hope this helps.
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 05:41:43 PM »

PX of country should be PREFIX of country.

US callsigns would be "K"
England would be "G"
Australia would be "VK"
New Zealand would be "ZL"
Japan is "JA"

etc, etc, etc.
WF7BSR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 06:17:11 PM »

See, I knew it was a dumb question...meaning something that should have been obvious...thank you for the responses.

Raymond - WF7BSR
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 07:37:42 PM »

A dumb question is a question which is not asked.
WS4T

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 01:52:21 PM »

Raymond,

Here's an idea (but just an idea...no stress!). There is an excellent website you can use to enter your paper log data into the computer. Check it out if you have time. Computers and contesting go very well together.

Main page: http://www.b4h.net/cabforms/

Page for CQ WW SSB (last weekend's contest): http://www.b4h.net/cabforms/cqwwssb_cab.php

Gary, ES1WST
WF7BSR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 04:49:24 PM »

That is a very easy to use program!  Thank you very much...all ten  Shocked of my contest contacts are on their way now via that program...they will probably laugh that someone took the time to submit such a small amount...but it's better than zero, and I was more interested in feeling how a contest worked, rather than thinking about numbers of contacts and points.  With my little 4-watt QRP set-up very few could hear me anyway...my homebrewed dipole antenna is still a work-in-progress.  Just thankful for the ones who had the patience to pull my call out of the pileups...they could have made 6-10 more contacts in the time it took a few of them to get my call right -- one worked at it for nearly 7 minutes till we got it right.  He could have just passed and made more points working others, so I am grateful for the 10 contacts I made...sent them all thank you notes along with the QSL cards.

Raymond,

Here's an idea (but just an idea...no stress!). There is an excellent website you can use to enter your paper log data into the computer. Check it out if you have time. Computers and contesting go very well together.

Main page: http://www.b4h.net/cabforms/

Page for CQ WW SSB (last weekend's contest): http://www.b4h.net/cabforms/cqwwssb_cab.php

Gary, ES1WST
WS4T

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 01:25:11 AM »

Raymond,

Only a computer will look at your log, so I wouldn't worry about anyone laughing at it. Contest organizers are definitely happy to receive ALL logs at any rate.

Good news: If you like contesting, there's usually a contest every weekend. You started out with the biggest (and probably the most challenging for QRP) contest of all: CQ WW SSB. Most contests will be a bit easier to manage with QRP and especially if you know CW. Here's your weekly schedule (bookmark this page!): http://www.hornucopia.com/contestcal/weeklycont.php

If you get more serious, I would suggest getting some logging software. There's a great free program here: http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Getting+Started&structure=N1MM+Logger+Documentation

You can also get a cable to connect your FT-817 to your computer and the software will work even better, since the computer will know what frequency your radio is on. Yaesu sells the CT-62 cable for this purpose, but you can also make your own if you're handy. Google "ft-817 cat cable".

I have also experienced DX stations taking extra time to pull my little signal out of the mud. I managed to work V47NT the same way during CQ WW CW on 40m in 2009 for a big thrill. It was towards the end of the contest but he still had a pile-up. He somehow managed to pull my signal out during multiple attempts.

Enjoy and let us know how you're progressing!

Gary, ES1WST (WS4T)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: