Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile antenna mount problem  (Read 1459 times)
N2LWE

Ignore
« on: October 29, 2012, 06:49:30 AM »

I just purchased a new car (Hyundai Elantra GT) and want to install my 2m/440 antenna but have a real dilemma. The car has a glass roof so I can't use a magmount. I thought about using a trunk lip mount or Hatchback mount but it would have to be fastened to the edge of the glass roof that does not have a lip to attach it to and really wouldn't want to do that cause I may possibly crack the glass. It can't be mounted to the top of the hatch/tailgate door because first there is really no space between the glass roof and the edge of the tailgate door and even if their were room, when you lift the tailgate the antenna would hit the roof. Thought about a glass mount but with the tinted windows that wouldn't work either, not to mention I have an antenna and don't want to buy a new one. Any suggestions?
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 10:40:16 AM »

There are a few, although many would require buying mounts and modifying them.  I would not use the glass at all, since the gap between the mount edges and the glass would prove to be a weather problem.  (Rain/water leakage).  Likewise, anything that would interfere with the 'seal' between the body parts and the glass roof would be problematic.

How is the hood, as far as useable edges?  Can a clamp on type mount be used there?  How about a trunk edge mount on the side of the hatchback, where it would not come into contact with the glass?  The antenna rod would have to be formed to make it stand upward, but that is something worth considering.  Another would be some sort of license plate mount for the rear of the vehicle.  Such mounts are available, but you have to look for them.

The best thing would be to decide just where you want your antenna and then fabricate a mount from that decision.  If you aren't too familiar with metalworking, you can find a shop where the required mount can be fabricated.  If done in stainless steel, such a mount may well be worth the cost.  Good luck and 73!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 01:39:26 PM »

Is it a 2013 Elantra GT?
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 01:57:49 PM »

look under the rear end of the car.  is there a frame or frame stub  you can bolt or weld a  flat bar of aluminumimunumun to and have it stick out the drivers side rear of the car on the 45 degree angle and mount most any antenna there.

This gets it out in the middle of the street where trees are taller, and away from the curb so little fingers don't twang it walking by.

if it is a small antenna, perhaps a license plate mount will work, or even add a trailer hitch and run it off of that.  lots of options.

MFJ makes a mount you can roll up in a window and mount a small antenna there, its an MFJ 310 and made to put your rubber duck up outside the car at the roof line, and a 7 foot cable to your HT, perhaps that will do,  its good for  folks who travel a lot and use rental cars... and no scratches from the antenna.

or you could always figure out a place to drill the hole and put in an NMO mount.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 02:08:05 PM »

The K6AJR idea of using the MF J window mount is good.

I'm thinking you might figure out how to glue the antenna to a window and run the coax in thru a door. As a test double sided tape (the good stuff) might work.
N2LWE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 06:20:08 PM »

Is it a 2013 Elantra GT?
[/quot

Yes it is.
N2LWE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 06:23:43 PM »

look under the rear end of the car.  is there a frame or frame stub  you can bolt or weld a  flat bar of aluminumimunumun to and have it stick out the drivers side rear of the car on the 45 degree angle and mount most any antenna there.

This gets it out in the middle of the street where trees are taller, and away from the curb so little fingers don't twang it walking by.

if it is a small antenna, perhaps a license plate mount will work, or even add a trailer hitch and run it off of that.  lots of options.

MFJ makes a mount you can roll up in a window and mount a small antenna there, its an MFJ 310 and made to put your rubber duck up outside the car at the roof line, and a 7 foot cable to your HT, perhaps that will do,  its good for  folks who travel a lot and use rental cars... and no scratches from the antenna.

or you could always figure out a place to drill the hole and put in an NMO mount.

I actually thought about the window mount. But this wouldn't be for an HT, it would be for my Yaesu FT-880 and the rubber duck can't handle more than 10 watts.
N2LWE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 06:30:21 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback. If I had my way, I would like it right on the glass near the rear next to the XM radio antenna and thought about some type of adhesive on the bottom of a magmount antenna. Nothing fancy, just about a 12 to 15 inch dualband antenna. Is there a good adhesive I can use where I can remove it at some point without ruining the glass if I wanted to remove it?
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 06:34:15 PM »

Clear silicon adhesive is used to bond glass aquariums together.
N2LWE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 06:51:56 PM »

Clear silicon adhesive is used to bond glass aquariums together.

You're right. I didn't think of that. Thank you. In fact that would probably be best because if I need to remove it, once the antenna is off, I should be able to simply peel off the pieces of silicone off the glass.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 08:19:40 AM »

Glass makes for a crappy groundplane though.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 10:03:16 AM »

Open the hood, look at the fender edge of the opening. Very likely there are some unused holes already there.
Fabricate a bracket to bold into one of the holes, that followed the countour of the opening, and then goes horizontal.
Use a Diamond or Comet base to provide the antenna mount and coax, which you can lead through the top of the fender and in through the driver's door. the power cables can enter the same way - no holes drilled.
The radio location is unique to each car. On my Honda Element, I removed the subwoofer and put the radio CPU and an external speaker there, behind the subwoofer grill. Again, no holes drilled.  Good luck!
N2LWE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 06:07:46 PM »

I guess I want my cake and eat it too. I don't want to mount it on the front of the car. I really don't like the way that looks. As far as the location of the radio, That's no poblem, there is an open area on the center console where the radio fits perfect.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: