Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, you want a big signal?  (Read 3883 times)
G4LNA

Ignore
« on: October 30, 2012, 11:23:18 AM »

Get some big paddles, this made me laugh  Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPW4NWQYVic&feature=related
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 03:52:25 PM »

That must have been in Finnish; it sure as heck wasn't English!

I've heard Finnish code, sent by Mr. Nokia for Southeast Asia at the time, Simo Hoikka, in Singapore, 1993.  Baffling - and the reaction by OH stations was detectable if not copiable!

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 05:26:17 PM »

That must have been in Finnish;

It wasn't Finnish either. It even was no Morse code at all.
G4LNA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 10:59:15 PM »

In case you can't read, it it says

THE LEFT PADDLE IS FOR DOTS AND THE RIGHT FOR DASHES AR.
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 02:09:32 AM »

In case you can't read, it it says

THE LEFT PADDLE IS FOR DOTS AND THE RIGHT FOR DASHES AR.

Right, I listened agn and copied it now. tks.

Sri, obviously I have a different sense of humour, I don't find this funny at all. Just like that UU22UU "music" which was certainly meant as text because the text was printed below it, I keep thinking the guy killed the code with the omission of the letter space in "wire". Word separations are essential for copy by head, and omission of letterspaces is ridiculous and a shame, not funny. Everybody can make an error, for you tube you have the chance to correct it before you publish it.

Other guys on you tube are demonstrating a straight key with the hand flat on the surface or floating, and touchhing the key  only with the top of the straightened  finger. Or they have a set of iambic paddles, a Begali signature, only what is said the best is good enough for them,  and make the C like you do on a mechanical bug. And - mind you -the V by pushing 3 times in a sequence the dot lever.

Not the way to conserve Morse code, and to teach the younger guys.

When a few guys (1% of starters) learn the code, (99% start, waste their worthless time by never getting a result, because they are missing perseverance) and listen on the bands and can't copy what is sent when they are able to copy machine code, it is obvious stupid behavior not to sent the best way you can.

I copied an archive tape from a  coastal station, recorded by Ring Jr, and available on Internet. I thought they used a machine tape, till the guy made an error  slowed down, paused and  gave his 8 dits, I was amazed. That is craftmanship. My opinion is that whatever you do, do the best you can.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 02:57:05 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 12:49:08 PM »

Now there is some real ham ingenuity going on there.
HA7AP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 02:03:39 AM »

If any of you guys have a problem copy that material, I'm sure you can't copy code in the head! I had no difficulties copy this short message at all. Can any of you guys show me how to send this very same material by hand?

73 Imi HA7AP
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 04:07:50 AM »

If any of you guys have a problem copy that material, I'm sure you can't copy code in the head! I had no difficulties copy this short message at all.
73 Imi HA7AP

That is not true, and I am the proof.

First I thought it was no code at all. after listening different times I could copy it.

Above 40 wpm it is not possible to write anyhing readable down, so anyway copying by head is the only way when you don't want to learn some sort of short hand, or using a mill. The "paddle"message was transmitted somewhat over 40 wpm.

I exercise for many years already on a daily basis copy by head of computer generated plain text. Understandable copy limit is in the range of 45 wpm.

When you learned reading in primary school, you perhaps remember that you could read printed text and neatly slow written longhand writing, written in the way the characters were teached in font and style. It was not possible to read mature fast written handwriting.

After many years of reading experience you could also read handwriting of different old persons,  with difficulty.

So you probably can understand the analogy between computer generated code and distorted handsending with a different
style.

You obviously can handle distortions and I still can't (and don't exercise it either) unless the receiving speed is lower then what I could copy by head when machine  generated.

So this may explain my statement.

Bob
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 04:38:18 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
HA7AP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 03:10:03 AM »

If any of you guys have a problem copy that material, I'm sure you can't copy code in the head! I had no difficulties copy this short message at all.
73 Imi HA7AP

That is not true, and I am the proof.

First I thought it was no code at all. after listening different times I could copy it.

Above 40 wpm it is not possible to write anyhing readable down, so anyway copying by head is the only way when you don't want to learn some sort of short hand, or using a mill. The "paddle"message was transmitted somewhat over 40 wpm.

I exercise for many years already on a daily basis copy by head of computer generated plain text. Understandable copy limit is in the range of 45 wpm.

When you learned reading in primary school, you perhaps remember that you could read printed text and neatly slow written longhand writing, written in the way the characters were teached in font and style. It was not possible to read mature fast written handwriting.

After many years of reading experience you could also read handwriting of different old persons,  with difficulty.

So you probably can understand the analogy between computer generated code and distorted handsending with a different
style.

You obviously can handle distortions and I still can't (and don't exercise it either) unless the receiving speed is lower then what I could copy by head when machine  generated.

So this may explain my statement.

Bob

That explains it Bob!
I guess I just saw it in a different angle. :-)

73 Imi
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: