Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: control my mobile w/my handheld?  (Read 4656 times)
KE7UFZ

Ignore
« on: October 30, 2012, 02:42:48 PM »

Is there a system that can change the channels on a mobile via a handheld?
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 06:24:33 AM »

My old Kenwood Dual-band mobile had a mode that let you do that, so it existed in 1996 (when I bought that radio). But I would imagine that you'd only find this in the dual-band-at-the-same-time radios. My current dual-band (one band at a time)  IC-208 doesn't do this, for example.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 06:38:06 AM »

Use a http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/fm_txvrs/0710.html

with a http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/3072.html

to implement http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/fm_txvrs/0710sky2.html
VK5CQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 03:08:50 AM »

Here's an "over-kill" solution for you:

: Kenwood TS-2000[X] (mobile) + TH-D72A (handheld)

More practical IMO is a club-owned TS-2000[X]
remotely controlled by club members, each using
TM-D710A's (and/or TH-D72A's)

(There may be limits on license class(es) permitted to remotely control a radio transmitter, as well as on the bands on which a remotely controlled transmitter may legally transmit, but I - for one - consider such regulations overdue for deletion from FCC's Ham Rule-set, ie, in light of the kinds of remote control systems that exists onthe Internet.)
LA9XNA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 02:14:44 PM »

It is possible to have Icom IC-2820 with remotecontroll by a handheld with DTMF.
KB8VUL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 08:05:33 AM »

There are some convoluted ways to get some manner of control of most radios, and it may only be basic TX and RX.  You  can do this with three radios, the primary base radio a control radio connected to the base radio and the portable. 
Now you would need to somehow protect the interconnect.  Easiest way is a DTMF decoder that sits between the base radio and the control radio protecting the PTT of both.  The decoder would need to control a double pole relay that both PTT lines.  By that I mean the core out of each radio would be tied to the PTT of the other radio, enabling both to transmit the received audio of the other radio.  If left connected all the time, someone on the frequency of the control radio would be transmitting on the base radio with every transmission and may not even be aware of it.  We don't have specific assigned frequencies in ham radio like in commercial radio so you have no guarantee that no one will end up on the control frequency. Now this is a basic setup and would only provide TX and RX on a specific frequency that the base radio was set to, without the ability to change it remotely. 
To remotely change channels, there are ways of doing this, but it gets a bit more complicated.  If the base radio has a wired input for channel change, or you can modify it to channel change, you can have the control radio operating in CSQ mode (no PL) and use a multi-PL decoder or a multichannel DTMF decoder to force the change of channel on the base radio.  With commercial radios it's actually pretty simple because or their ability to be controlled changing up to 16 channels via a tone remote adapter.  Tone remote will NOT work in this instance because you don't have the ability to pass tone across the radios without significant modification that I am not going to get into here.

I guess I need to ask what you are actually wanting to accomplish before trying to explain how to go about it.
Simple way is buy the radios that natively support what you are wanting to do.  But there are limitations to that and if it doesn't serve the need or is too expensive, then other work arounds are available but not without their own set of limitations.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 10:37:30 PM »

Kenwood TM-V71A - True dual band operation - 50W output UHF & VHF - Crossband operation with a built-in CW IDer - Remote control of most function using only a DTMF capable handheld radio - 118-524MHz, 800-1300MHz receive - The front panel can be installed two ways so the speaker can remain unobstructed - Weather Alert function that activates on reception of the NOAA 1050 Hz tone

Currently priced at Ham Radio Outlet for $369.95
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: