Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Community Volunteers & Ham Radio  (Read 1366 times)
W7ASA

Ignore
« on: October 30, 2012, 03:52:48 PM »

We just finished supporting local government with communications at their request during Hurricane Sandy.  Our area's professional emergency management personnel were just excellent. I cannot speak for other areas, but these are some very motivated and community minded people we volunteer to assist. We are there to take some of the lower priority 'back channel' messaging burden and as busy as our people were, we were all glad to assist - even a tiny bit.  Every day events like walk-a-thons, town bike rides & etc. are also on the agenda and likely a great recruiting tool so that we can field more EMCOMM volunteers for LARGE problems like this hurricane.  It's great to do little things for the community.

For our area's volunteer communicators: no vests, no faux-uniforms & etc. I'm not even allowed to wear my sabre!  What's with that?   Cheesy  though for some areas, perhaps that may be the requirement.  As for NOT helping with communications or anything else for that matter, because someone / somewhere had dressed oddly or behaved badly; that is an excuse, not a reason. Not everyone needs to volunteer in communications - obviously.  However, when nobody volunteers anywhere in any way and complains about those who do a little extra around the community, then we can be certain that the reason is for this skin-flint attitude is not 'out there':  rather, it's inside of those doing the complaining.

I'd highly recommend getting to know your local community service people and help every now and then, when you can.

73 de Ray
W7ASA ..._ ._
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: