Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help on understanding how to use dummy load.  (Read 991 times)
AK4YZ

Ignore
« on: October 30, 2012, 08:08:04 PM »

First, I am new to this site and the world of ham radio, I would like to say hello to all.
    I have my first rig bought a k3. 1of the starting setups Reg using a dummy load. I pick up a Dl1 20w from elecraft
I understand how the output goes to the rec. but not to clear on how to hook up any input.  
     Sorry for wasting your time
I ask before searching the old post. Theres a reason there called dummy loads LOL
Thanks  AK4YZ
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 08:24:47 PM by AK4YZ » Logged
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 08:52:26 PM »

Welcome to Ham Radio. The transceivers output goes to the dummy load. To test the transceiver a VSWR/Wattmeter is placed between the transceivers out put and the dummy load. The wattmeter should read full power out on CW and the VSWR should read 1 to 1, if the dummy load is a true 50 ohm match. The system is excellent for testing transmitter and feed cable system for proper operation and match.

Hope this helps.

73s

K2OWK
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 12:26:56 AM »

Welcome at this very exciting hobby.
Connecting a Dummy Load is pretty easy. Your transceiver has an antenna terminal which internally is switched between TX and RX. So you just connect the DL to this terminal. That is it. I don't repeat what OWK said concerning use.
A word about this DL. I hope you put it into some RF tight box. That is mandatory to avoid unwanted radiation. Looking at the DL you may have noticed, there is not much to it. You actually could have built one yourself. Did you notice how I am trying to lure you into homebrewing? That's another great side of our hobby.
K9FV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 03:17:58 PM »

Note the power rating of the dummy load you wish to use - I think you said 20 watts?  That is the max power to be used.  You can hit it with a bit more for a couple seconds, but not much more.  Certainly not 100 watts.

Good luck and have fun - oh, the dummy load just replaces your antenna for testing.

Ken H>
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 06:24:12 PM »

First, I am new to this site and the world of ham radio, I would like to say hello to all.
    I have my first rig bought a k3. 1of the starting setups Reg using a dummy load. I pick up a Dl1 20w from elecraft
I understand how the output goes to the rec. but not to clear on how to hook up any input.  
     Sorry for wasting your time
I ask before searching the old post. Theres a reason there called dummy loads LOL
Thanks  AK4YZ

Hi, and welcome to Ham Radio,
The dummy load should be connected to the RF source.  In your case, the rig itself.  The rig will take care of Receive and transmit switching so do not worry about that...  Connect the DL, (Dummy Load), to the transmit antenna connector with a suitable length of Coax...  When you transmit, the DL will absorb all of the power and convert it to heat.  You should see a 1:1 SWR.  If you don't, check the cable...  All of this assumes you have a 50 ohm DL, which most are...

Once you have the rig tuned using the DL, switch to your antenna, and touch up any available tuning controls, if you have an auto tuner, hit it again once on the antenna...  If your rig has a PLATE adjustment, (I don't think your rig does), dip it last.

The DL is used when you want to transmit, but not radiate your signal...  Be aware that it will transmit, just a very reduced range.  I once worked a fellow ham a mile away on my DL.  BTW: Thank you for taking the time to use a DL!  Most folks don't anymore...

73's, and HAVE FUN in your new hobby!!!!!

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: