Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody East Coast hearing VK9XM?  (Read 6791 times)
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2012, 10:08:34 AM »

I could hear him today on 20m. However the band is so noisy and I could only copy him about 20% of the time. I couldn't even hear a whisper on 12m.  Bummer. My nightmare with VK9 continues.

Jonathan W6GX
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2012, 10:38:08 AM »

Same here..another ATNO slips through my fingers.

Mark N1UK
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2012, 05:19:48 AM »

DX spots claim he is on 20M SSB now.

He missed a big opportunity last evening. 10/12M were as good as I have heard in a while.
VK/ZL/Pac coming in for over an hour, and no VK9XM to be found.

Congrats Roger on QSO.

73 Tony N5UD /M
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2012, 05:57:18 AM »

Thanks Tony! Conditions had to be very sub par during his operation. Prior to working him, I heard and worked a few VK's on SSB that were decent in signal strength, so his CW signal should have been very workable.

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2012, 06:25:03 AM »

He missed a big opportunity last evening. 10/12M were as good as I have heard in a while.
VK/ZL/Pac coming in for over an hour, and no VK9XM to be found.

Keep in mind that VK9X is 1K-some miles north and west of mainland Australia, in the Indian Ocean - a long, long way from garden variety ZL and other South Pacific fare.  One may even hear a loud VK9N or VK9L but in no way does that necessarily indicate propagation to VK9X.

My experience from W9 is that, even in the really good years, you're more likely to work VK9X (and VK9Y) on 10m via long path in the early morning, and maybe late evening after everything else has seemingly shut down - and even then the best time may be our springtime.  Obviously, other openings may occur and other areas of the US may see different openings.
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2012, 09:37:26 AM »

Today on 15m ssb, the window to NA was very short. I heard Mark, N1UK work him with his 87ft tower and optibeam
running a Kw and receive a 55. I know i stood no chance with a yagi atleast 25ft lower than his and with EU not
 heeding to NA only calls from Pekka. Oh well, will need to wait out for the next one.

Good sleuthing Mark(N1UK)

Krish
w4vku
KD6KVL

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2012, 10:01:21 AM »

He is Cq'ing at 14.040 right now, a little weak, but got 'em 1st call.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2012, 10:39:13 AM »

I could hear him on 20m cw but he's too weak to work.  So far I've only heard him on 20m cw and 20m ssb.  Nothing heard on 15m or 12m.

Jonathan W6GX
K4ZZR

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2012, 12:46:06 PM »

Still nothing here in south Florida.  Yesterday I could hear him on 20 like a whisper, but nothing intelligible.  4 el Steppir at 70' about 3 miles from the Atlantic.

Wonder how many NA stations actually worked him.  Would like to see a leaderboard with some stats.  Anybody in Florida work him?

So, for now, still holdng at 330......looking forward to Campbell and good propagation.   Smiley

AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2012, 04:07:02 PM »

I could hear him on 20m cw but he's too weak to work.  So far I've only heard him on 20m cw and 20m ssb.  Nothing heard on 15m or 12m.

Jonathan W6GX

Same conditions and results here in east coast central Florida. I kept thinking he might get a bit louder on 20 cw, but nope...... oh well.......  Roll Eyes

73, Gene AF3Y
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2012, 06:58:38 PM »

Wonder how many NA stations actually worked him.  Would like to see a leaderboard with some stats.  Anybody in Florida work him?

I did from North Carolina on 15m ssb today but I was so lucky and it took about 15 to 20 repeats of my call...good thing it is a short call. I have an Optibeam at 87 1/2 feet and no local noise at the time...maybe 0.5 uV or less at the receiver. About the time he came up he asked for North America despite all the Euro whining and qrm, and I snuck in the log along with the few lucky ones.

73 Mark N1UK
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2012, 12:03:12 AM »

I did from North Carolina on 15m ssb today but I was so lucky and it took about 15 to 20 repeats of my call...good thing it is a short call. I have an Optibeam at 87 1/2 feet and no local noise at the time...maybe 0.5 uV or less at the receiver. About the time he came up he asked for North America despite all the Euro whining and qrm, and I snuck in the log along with the few lucky ones.

73 Mark N1UK

Congrats!  You should go out and buy some lottery tickets.

Jonathan W6GX
N8EHW

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2012, 05:28:47 AM »

I thought I would pass on this note from Pekka, OH2YY, who kindly responded to my query about the number of stateside QSO’s made by the VK9XM operation:

“The propagation from VK9XM to North America was very poor and limited to rather short peaks. During the forecasted peak hours we stopped several times working Europe and Asia and called either Americas or only North America. We managed to pick up a couple of stations every now and then but we never managed to get a NA pile-up running. We had also a local issue, which was a high hill partially blocking the take off to North East.
 Pekka, OH1TV made some statistics, where the number of NA station was only 122 plus some 30 in Caribbean. The main issue was that we simly didn't hear.
best 73
Pekka, OH2YY”

Just FYI

73 - Tom
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2012, 11:16:56 AM »

Thank you Tom for the info.
I heard Mark N1UK call and work them. He had to repeat his call several times to get it through. When Mark got back
a 55, i knew that my chances were slim. As soon as that contact was over, the prop went down. The opening was
very short. The same thing happened a couple days earlier. The prop did not dip down far south, but we heard the
boys in the 8  call area call and then after a few calls, they were lamenting that the prop faded out.

I think that, due to the hill, the stations in NA were hearing the signal only at the peak, which lasts for a very short
time. May be the next time, will get luck for this ATNO.

73s
krish
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: