Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's Up With Idiom?  (Read 1158 times)
K5END

Ignore
« on: July 30, 2008, 05:03:17 PM »

WTH?

Anyone happen to know what the deal is at Idiom Press?

I've tried for 2 weeks to contact them by phone and by email. No response. I ordered the K-5 online and only got an auto-email response thanking me for my order. All I want to know is whether a live human being is there and processing my order. Is that too much to ask?

I hope they are OK. Maybe someone should check on them?

Or, are they on vacation?

KG9HV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 04:32:52 AM »

go to the Company Reviews and put Idiom in the search
box. You see plenty about what's going on with them.
(or what's not going on)
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 06:37:32 AM »

Looks like they are just behind.

It's understandable.

From what I hear, the K-5 is worth the wait. It won't kill me to use the radio's internal keyer in the meantime, or even the straight key for that matter.

Rather than answer my email or phone calls I'd rather they spend the time getting caught up. So, I won't

They have not charged my card for the item yet, so I don't really have an issue.

Was just curious. I'm OK with it.

W5ESE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 07:10:41 AM »

Alot of these small amateur radio businesses are one
man operations.

This is July.

People with kids in school go on vacation. It's easy
to believe they could go out of town for two weeks,
or longer.

Scott
W6NJX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 12:15:25 PM »

Can any one say: "auto-responder"?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 02:36:38 PM »

When you get it, I sure hope you like it!

I had the K-3 and sold it very quickly.  Didn't like *anything* about it, especially the extraordinarily time-consuming method of programming.  Instructions weren't good and the buttons were unlabeled.

I thought it was a bad joke, although many seem to like them.

My 28 year-old "CW Sendin' Machine" using ancient TTL technology (it has a built-in AC power supply!) is far more capable and much easier to program: You push a button, send your message, and push the same button and you're done.  No sending one word at a time and waiting for the keyer to insert a space and acknowledge the word before sending the next one.  I thought that was horrible.

WB2WIK/6

K5END

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 09:28:03 AM »

"My 28 year-old "CW Sendin' Machine" using ancient TTL technology (it has a built-in AC power supply!) is far more capable and much easier to program: You push a button, send your message, and push the same button and you're done."

Ya wanna sell it? Smiley

Seriously, I like that way of thinking: doing your own thing and not following the herd. But so many users like the K-5 I just gotta give it a try.

Retailers have the K5 in stock. That was easy. Might have it by tomorrow.

KN1W

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 12:35:22 PM »

Hi WB2WIK/6,

What is the keyer that you are using? I am always interested in using older keyers. I have an Autek that fits the description.

thanks,

de KN1W
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 02:18:13 PM »

I have a few keyers.  My "first" memory keyer (commercially made) was something called the "CW Sendin'   Machine" made by a guy in Alabama, WB4 something or other (forgot).  I can look when I get home if you're interested.

No longer made, obviously.  It used a zillion TTL chips and consumes serious current, but has a built-in AC power supply (with detachable "cheater" power cord).  Plug in paddle, it outputs to a 1/4" phone jack.  Four memories, and so intuitive to use that even an idiot would not need a manual for it.  Everything is clearly silk screened right on the panel, and programming involves pressing button "A," sending into the machine just like you'd send on the air, and that's that.  Next time you press "A," it plays back exactly what you sent earlier, and will store that until the power goes out (no backup battery, but then since it's not CMOS a battery wouldn't last very long, anyway!).  Do the same for the other three memories.

Programming is the same as sending on the air.  Changing speed involves turning a knob labeled -- holy cow! -- "SPEED," and it goes down to about 5 wpm and up to about 70 wpm.  Has a built-in sidetone with a front-panel volume control labeled -- you guessed it -- "VOLUME."

Easiest damned thing to use, they sold a lot of them in the 70s, maybe a little bit into the early 80s.

WB2WIK/6
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 10:21:07 AM »

The CW Sendin' Machine was made by K4PB.  I found one on line for sale (don't know if it still is), here:

http://www.marketworks.com/StoreFrontProfiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=86409&c=620567&i=17400193

The most intuitive memory keyer I've ever used.  No instructions required, just a paddle and your brain, thinking as a logical consumer.

WB2WIK/6
KN1W

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 11:00:43 AM »

Thanks very much for the great information WB2WIK

I will start looking for the K4PB keyer.

tnx

de KN1W
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 01:01:23 PM »

>>> "Rather than answer my email or phone calls I'd rather they spend the time getting caught up."

>>> "This is July. People with kids in school go on vacation. It's easy to believe they could go out of town for two weeks, or longer."

==========
Unbelievable comments!  So very 1960s (pre-Japan)!

The minimal standard of business communication requires that customer inquiries be answered in a day or two...max. That's as essential to staying in business as paying the electric bill.

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 03:02:14 PM »

>RE: What's Up With Idiom?       Reply
by K0OD on August 3, 2008    Mail this to a friend!
Unbelievable comments! So very 1960s (pre-Japan)!

The minimal standard of business communication requires that customer inquiries be answered in a day or two...max. That's as essential to staying in business as paying the electric bill.<

::An understatement.  I think answering inquiries within one business day is absolutely essential, and much more important than paying the electric  bill because customers have less patience than the electric company.  You can pay your electric bill a month late in most places without any penalty.  

WB2WIK/6
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 05:00:10 PM »

Doesn't it seem that no matter how dreadful the service is from ham suppliers, someone here will rush to defend the company?

And No... "going on a 2-week vacation with the kids" in July (if that happened) doesn't excuse 9 months of terrible service.

--
Just had yet ANOTHER botched ham product arrive (not from Idiom): Ordered some finished coax jumpers with connectors installed. They arrived with the dimensions correctly labeled on each. But each jumper was far too long. For example, one 15' length actually measured 22'.

I paid a substantial premium for those finished cables and had to redo them myself. Good thing I didn't discover the problem at the top of a 150' tower.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 08:43:05 AM »

You're correct. It is not good business practice.

My thoughts were only selfish such that my order would get completed sooner.

But, I do like to see small businesses survive.

I would (subjunctive case) make a comment about the store known affectionately as "Wally World," and how it is ruining the small business world and destroying diversity, quality and service, but I don't want them to litigate and bankrupt me.

Someone else already made that mistake.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: