Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Post Sandy Inspection  (Read 1501 times)
NJ3U

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2012, 07:34:01 AM »

Now that Sandy has moved through the SNJ section, I've had the chance to perform hands on and visual inspection of my outside UHF/VHF and HF antennas.  Thankfully no damage was sustained to either the Mosley TA33jr or the Hustler 4BTV. Hope all other amateurs in the path had similar outcomes!

Keep in mind a couple of tips;

Water intrusion into coax is possible given driving winds, check SWR for changes
Check mechanics of your antenna and any guys for sagging or signs of stress after such winds
Inspect ground points and junction boxes
Ensure rotators are able to move freely and without binding
Visually inspect with binoc's for missing end caps, elements, top cap spiders
Any threatening branches nearby to antenna elements or wire

Above all stay safe as surfaces are splippery when wet or covered with leaves.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 12:44:42 PM »

Glad to hear your antennas survived Rory.

I have been watching the news on the Boston channels (Satelite ) and I am shocked at the devastation along the coastline and inshore too.

I feel sorry for the people down that way, years of hard work and money gone in less than 12 hours. It will take a long time to recover from that storm.
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 05:36:19 PM »

My 2 element low band quad and 4 element homebrew 6 meter quad made it, no problems. My 80 meter extended double Zepp did not, it was up at 70 ft and one end was connected to a tree that, at times, was almost bent to 70 degrees. The good news is the tree survived and everything is on pulleys so it will be an easy repair once I get settled back down. Been around a lot of years and have never seen such high sustained winds for hours on end or so many plus 80 mph guests. I have been through 3 tornados (not here) and at least they leave in a hurry. Sandy really wore out her welcome!!
N2LWE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 07:52:21 AM »

I have a Hy-Gain DX-77A sitting directly on the ground leaning between the branches of a tree in the backyard. I haven't had a chance to install the antenna in it's permanent location. I thought it would be safe there since the branches actually protected it from whipping around and falling over. I was right. Antenna is right where I left it unharmed and working. I also live at the Jersey Shore 10 minutes from Long Beach Island that still has 4 to 8 feet of water on the roadway, not to mention total destruction. My heart goes out to all that suffered losses. I was very lucky to say the least. I am truly grateful.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 12:30:41 PM »

I have a Hy-Gain DX-77A sitting directly on the ground leaning between the branches of a tree in the backyard. I haven't had a chance to install the antenna in it's permanent location. I thought it would be safe there since the branches actually protected it from whipping around and falling over. I was right. Antenna is right where I left it unharmed and working. I also live at the Jersey Shore 10 minutes from Long Beach Island that still has 4 to 8 feet of water on the roadway, not to mention total destruction. My heart goes out to all that suffered losses. I was very lucky to say the least. I am truly grateful.

I am glad to hear antennas survived down your way.
 I do have a question that maybe you can answer for me Joe.

I have seen video of the amusement park that is right on the shore of the ocean in NJ. The video shows the water right up to the rides etc. Was there a berm of some sort on that shore at one time? Reason I ask is I wonder why the rides are so close to the shore. Those videos were taken after the storm passed through, that is why I ask about the water being so close to the rides etc.

The news reports, video and still shots I have seen of your area show the devastation. My thoughts go out to anyone who is dealing with that situation. Homes have been destroyed, lives have been lost and it will take a lot of time, effort and money to restore the area.

All the best to you and the rest of the residents in NJ and other areas that suffered great damage.

73, Rick VE3FMC
N2LWE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 05:24:02 PM »

Believe it or not, those rides weren't as close to the shore as you may think. I know that area very well, actually I was there 2 weeks ago doing some work. It's just incredible what happened. I do a lot of work in the Seaside area as well as Long Beach Island and realize that these home owners take a chance being so near the ocean. I often think about them getting water in their homes but never would have thought of something to this magatude would happen since I've never seen anything even close. Thank you for your kinds thoughts, 73, Joe N2LWE.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 06:16:42 PM »

Joe anytime people build near bodies of water they run the risk of having storms hit like Sandy.

However that was the storm of the century, and it was devastating. The more I watch the news the more shocked I am when I see the damage. It will take a lot of resources, manpower and money to rebuild that area of your country.

One can not imagine what it must be like to lose everything you have worked hard to own and build over a lifetime. Or worse to lose a loved one in a storm like that.

My heart goes out to those who have lost homes etc. Be strong, life does go on.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 07:29:13 PM »

Here is a series of photos of Seaside Heights before and after the storm.

https://www.google.com/search?q=seaside+heights+photos&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=wQp&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvnsu&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=MoGUUJHrKIrc8ASSooGYBA&ved=0CB8QsAQ&biw=1024&bih=716

73 james
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: