Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WTB HEATH HW-16 TUNING DIAL  (Read 2290 times)
W6PJJ

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2012, 12:47:35 PM »

I am restoring a Heathkit HW-16 Transmitter/Receiver unit and am in need of a replacement plastic tuning dial. I have considered fabricating one  and laminating it with a copy of the existing dial reading. I will resort to fabricating this if I cannot locate the original part but, prefer to keep the unit intact with Factory parts. If you have or know where I can obtain a replacement tuning dial for the HW-16 I would enjoy discussing this with you.

73's Don

W6PJJ Cool
WA3JJT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 04:03:29 PM »

Hi Don,
There is a great HW-16 Yahoo group with many members. Someone may have an extra dial for you!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HW16-Heathkit-HW-16/

You will have to join the group, but there is tons of info on the HW16 there!

73!

Steve WA3JJT
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 06:30:56 AM »

If you wind up having to fabricate a new dial disk, consider this:

When you buy writeable CDs or DVDs on a spindle, there is often a clear plastic disk the size of a CD on top of the pile. This disk is about 4-1/2 inches in diameter. I don't know how that compares to the disk used in the HW-16, but if it's close it might work for you. The job would consist of drilling the appropriate holes and making a replica overlay using a computer and printer.

Out of curiosity, how big is the HW-16 dial disk?

73 de Jim, N2EY
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 03:32:30 PM »

Radio Daze now has the ability to fabricate custom dials.
W6PJJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 09:14:07 PM »

Guys:

Thanks for the reply and information... the HW-16 dial is a bit larger. I have a source for good plastic TAP-Plastic I wanted to locate the original McCoy if possible. As for the Link thanks I will check it out and see what I can find.

WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 11:15:52 PM »

Is the dial the only thing you need to restore this fine old cw rig?  I have a radio but was going to use it for parts myself but I have not got around to the project.  If you want the whole radio let me know and we can talk price.

73 de wn2c  Rick
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 09:26:29 AM »

the HW-16 dial is a bit larger.

dang - was hoping those plastic disk things would do the job.

I joined the HW-16 group even though I don't have one any more. Always admired the HW-16 as a masterpiece of engineering. Not that it was a top performer or even SOTA for its time, but that it provided almost everything a 1967 Novice needed and nothing that wasn't, at an absolute rock-bottom price.

The only real deficiencies I see in the HW-16 are:

- it expects a 50 ohm resistive load, and Heath never made a matching ATU for random wires, etc.
- there's no sidetone volume control
- 15 meter rx performance is somewhat iffy
- chirp with some crystals

73 de Jim, N2EY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: