Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna configuration  (Read 982 times)
AG5T

Ignore
« on: October 29, 2012, 03:24:27 PM »

I made a graphic of my current antenna configuration and wanted to see if anyone had any comments. You can view the graphic at http://www.qsl.net/ag5t/antennas.JPG - Until I can get a tower and mini-beam back up, this is what I am using. I have not been able to hear Southern Sudan with this setup and barely heard Macao for the first time during the WW contest. I was able to hear and work Kosovo during the contest. -- My back yard is a typical city lot with overhead power lines. If anyone can spot anything in the configuration, let me know. I've also considered possibly getting a vertical antenna with a counterpoise, since there is very little room for radials. == I'm just trying to consider my space and what would work best. For example, I worked Yemen on 20 ssb using the 80 meter dipole and a tuner. -- In the other direction, I ran psk31 on 20 meters and was on the 40 meter dipole by mistake and I started smelling smoke. So trying to trick the antenna doesn't always work. I have one tree in the backyard that I can use for dipoles, but that's it. So what do you think? - Marty, AG5T
I'm not able to copy VU, 9N, XZ and barely copy A9. I would think I should have better copy.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 05:09:26 PM »

First thing, you need to find out what was smoking and repair it before you proceed using the equipment. If you are using switch boxes, label the antenna switch positions so you don't make the same mistake twice. If you are swapping cable, label them with tape!  Shocked
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 04:07:48 AM »

If you are swapping cable, label them with tape! 

That's VERY good advice.  (I found it out the hard way.)
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 08:19:12 AM »

I am reading your post and......Are you troubleshooting the antenna system??? It reads that you are now no longer hearing any DX stations? What was once readable is no longer available?
How high are these antennas?
20M is where dipoles become directional.
160-40M at less than 1/2 wavelength high are cloud burners. DX would be accidental.
The burning sounds like you had an antenna terminated with a radio while you were transmitting with another radio on another antenna. Probably burned up the front end of a radio.
Good luck let us know what smoked

Fred
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: