Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maritime Mobile Station Question?  (Read 1590 times)
WF7BSR

Ignore
« on: November 07, 2012, 05:11:42 PM »

I've a question regarding a "Maritime Mobile" contact I made late this afternoon...at 2347 UTC I worked N1ZZZ/MM on 28.405, who said he was currently, at that time, in North Pacific, in Grid BM14.  What country does a contact like that count for...the home location of the ham broadcasting from the ship, or the country closest to where he's broadcasting from?  And how would the location be verified, if for instance the ship were going across the ocean over a period of time?

I know it's nothing to get overly excited about, nothing rare, etc., but I just got my Tech. Lic. in August, so most contacts I make outside of AZ is a first for me, and I get excited  Roll Eyes...  So I was wondering how this contact will count in my list of locations worked when I get it sent to LoTW?

Thank you for your time and assistance;
Raymond - WF7BSR
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 05:37:58 PM »

Raymond, unfortunately, MM (Maritime Mobile) contacts dont count toward DXCC totals. Always fun to work them tho!

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the DX community. Hopefully, your questions will get answered here.   73, Gene AF3Y
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 05:41:38 PM »

Maritime mobile QSOs don't count for DXCC.  See rule 8.  All stations contacted must be "land stations."

They do count for VUCC (VHF and up grid awards)--water grids are very hard to get--I've never worked FN40 even though it is very close to Connecticut.  UT1FG/mm has put water grids on 6M.
WF7BSR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 06:17:20 PM »

Thank you for the replies and information.  Yes, even if a contact doesn't count towards anything at all, they are all good in my book.

Raymond - WF7BSR
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 06:55:35 PM »

I believe that Maritime Mobile contacts do count for the CQ DX Field Award: http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/cq_awards/cq_dx_awards/cq_dx_field_award/cq_dx_field_award.html

When you load your contact information to LoTW, you do need to make sure the station you worked also participates in LoTW and loads his/her log information.  When a match occurs, LoTW will inform you that you have a LoTW QSL for that contact. 

Chuck  NI0C
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 08:38:42 AM »

I recently worked a British amateur returning from a cruise to the Greek Isles.  I worked him in on successive days off the coast of Portugal as the cruise ship was headed back to Southampton.  I knew it did not count but MMs and AMs are always fun.

Personally, I'd be at the bar or poolside but to each his own. 

Chris/NU1O
WF7BSR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 07:59:37 PM »

Thank you for the information about the CQ DX Field Award...another one I was not aware of.

Raymond - WF7BSR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: