Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EIGHTY METER BAND  (Read 3575 times)
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 02:52:03 AM »

When is 80 meters gonna pick up.  I need a LOT of 80 meter action for my 5BDXCC. All of the others are within 5 or 10 more to be confirmed.  Even after getting my vertical to tune pretty well on 80 now, I dont hear much action.

Anyone having much luck on 80?

>>>Worked T6LG on 80m CW two weeks ago for #304 on that band. Lots of QRM and QRN, but Ilian confirmed via LotW.

Dave, AA6YQ

Now that's a nice 80 meter contact! I too would like to know what antenna you were using.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 01:00:27 PM »

For transmitting on 80m, I use a quarter-wave vertical suspended from the end of a 15' boom attached to the top of my 80' tower. For transmitting on 160m, I use an inverted L suspended from the end of the same boom; its vertical section is separated by a foot or so from the 80m vertical. Both of these antennas are over a ground system of 48 130' radials.

For receiving on 80m and 160m, I use a DX Engineering RX 4-square about 100' on a side - the compromise setup for 80m and 160m reception. It often produces workable copy on signals that can't be heard with the vertical or inverted L.

My QTH is ~15 miles west of Boston, so there is no saltwater enhancement.

Dave, AA6YQ
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 02:11:51 PM »

During the sunspot doldrums when 10m and 15m were dead and only a few stateside stations were heard on 20m, there were a lot of stations to be worked on 80m. In fact a ham friend achieved DXCC on 80m in one season. He was running a 1/4 wave vertical and an amp.  I worked a bunch too with a G5RV at 45 feet, even VK and ZL

I would enjoy the higher bands while we have them. The time for 80m DX will be upon us too soon.

Mark N1UK
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 03:38:46 AM »

For transmitting on 80m, I use a quarter-wave vertical suspended from the end of a 15' boom attached to the top of my 80' tower. For transmitting on 160m, I use an inverted L suspended from the end of the same boom; its vertical section is separated by a foot or so from the 80m vertical. Both of these antennas are over a ground system of 48 130' radials.

For receiving on 80m and 160m, I use a DX Engineering RX 4-square about 100' on a side - the compromise setup for 80m and 160m reception. It often produces workable copy on signals that can't be heard with the vertical or inverted L.

My QTH is ~15 miles west of Boston, so there is no saltwater enhancement.

Dave, AA6YQ

That sounds like a nice set up Dave. Certainly much much better than I have here. I have to think about any improvements I can fit into this city lot (although it is almost an acre lot.), and do some reading. I think I've pushed the windom about as far as it will go, although I could get it a bit higher and/or possibly put one up perpendicular to the one I have now. I have worked 22 zones on 80 with the windom. The best has been Zone 39 to the east (VQ9LA) and Zone 32 to the west (ZL8X).
Working T6 on 80 must have been a real thrill.
It looks like we will have alot of time to experiment with low band DXing with the way this cycle is unfolding.  Grin
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 10:08:58 AM »

80 was a real pain for DXCC from here (WA state). It took me a few years to get there.
If there was a contest, I would be on 80 as far into the night as I could and back on it during the morning grayline time.
CW was the only way to go and you better be good with very weak signals, sometimes a whisper. I worked B7P on 80 and it was the weakest nothing signal I have ever worked. If there is a DXpedition going on that you think you should be able to work on 80, take every opportunity to try to work it. I was leaving the computer on all night on DX watch for 80 meter spots.
If I got up for any reason during the night, I'd take a look to see what was spotted and maybe a quick listen.
I probably only have 5 or so SSB contacts for 80 DXCC.
Perseverance pays off. You have a big advantage on the east coast. You'll get there.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2012, 11:28:17 AM »

80 was a real pain for DXCC from here (WA state). It took me a few years to get there.
If there was a contest, I would be on 80 as far into the night as I could and back on it during the morning grayline time.
CW was the only way to go and you better be good with very weak signals, sometimes a whisper. I worked B7P on 80 and it was the weakest nothing signal I have ever worked. If there is a DXpedition going on that you think you should be able to work on 80, take every opportunity to try to work it. I was leaving the computer on all night on DX watch for 80 meter spots.
If I got up for any reason during the night, I'd take a look to see what was spotted and maybe a quick listen.
Perseverance pays off. You have a big advantage on the east coast. You'll get there.

Well, I hope so.  I have 20m and 15m confirmed, and within 5 or so on 10m and 40m, just waiting for the confirmations.......
I have 32 QSOs in the log on 80m (24CW and 8SSB) with 26 confirmed.
I do have at least ONE toughie, RZ0AF, Asiatic Russia, in Zone 18 confirmed on 80CW.... tough from E coast Shocked
90% of these, including the zone 18 were worked on a little 6BTV vertical!
73, Gene AF3Y
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2012, 02:31:31 PM »

Well, I hope so.  I have 20m and 15m confirmed, and within 5 or so on 10m and 40m, just waiting for the confirmations.......
I have 32 QSOs in the log on 80m (24CW and 8SSB) with 26 confirmed.
I do have at least ONE toughie, RZ0AF, Asiatic Russia, in Zone 18 confirmed on 80CW.... tough from E coast Shocked
90% of these, including the zone 18 were worked on a little 6BTV vertical!
73, Gene AF3Y

Zone 18 is a nice catch on 80.
The way I figured it was there are about 51 common NA entities that are easy to pick up either with ham populations or activated during contests. (This includes northern SA). Then there are 22 Zone 14 countries (including TF in zone 40). I counted 12 west coastal African countries that are usually on the air. Adding 4 mid SA countries (PY, OA, HC, HC8) that brings you up to 88. That only leaves 12 and I didn't count NA/SA entities like TI9, XF4, CY9/0, KP1, KP5, HK0M, etc.. that are uninhabited and we need to wait for expeditions. Stations like KH7X, 4O3A, and similar stations should be easy pickups because they hear everything. The last few came from zones 15, 16, some PAC expeditions, and a couple surprises. Once I broke it down like that 80 didn't seem so bad.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2012, 04:10:33 PM »

Don't forget western Africa. Lots of relatively-small entites there too and once a DXpedition fires up they're quite easy to grab. Also includes the usual contest stations on EA8, EA9, CU3, D4 and CN. Getting 100 on 80 isn't all that difficult, and a modest station on the east coast should be able to pull it off in two seasons, one if propagation is good and you're on the air at both greylines.

I agree about Zone 18 being a great catch on 80...that's one of the five zones I still need for my complete 5B-WAZ.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2012, 04:11:03 PM »

Of the (Only) 39 TOTAL 80 meter QSOs I now have in the log, they are : NA 12, SA 1, AFRICA 2, EU 21, ASIA 1 AND OCEANIA 2. (26 on CW the rest on Phone)
Interesting, as I would have expected more SA, but nope.  SA should be easy of course, but I just dont hear much 80 meter traffic from there Huh

73, Gene AF3Y
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2012, 04:17:02 PM »

Of the (Only) 39 TOTAL 80 meter QSOs I now have in the log, they are : NA 12, SA 1, AFRICA 2, EU 21, ASIA 1 AND OCEANIA 2. (26 on CW the rest on Phone)
Interesting, as I would have expected more SA, but nope.  SA should be easy of course, but I just dont hear much 80 meter traffic from there Huh

73, Gene AF3Y

WOW, you have more EU than NA.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2012, 04:41:09 PM »

I have done almost nothing on 80m since catching the DX bug last winter.  I have 7 total, all confirmed.  I figure while 10, 12 and 15 are good, I should probably try and get those bands filled up as much as possible.  If I hear something on 80 cw, I will probably try and get it too.  Since I did not have my extra until late spring, I did not get anything good yet.  I'll keep plugging away, since I am still very young (30), I feel I should have a couple of solar minimums get 80m DXCC.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2012, 06:50:53 PM »

I have done almost nothing on 80m since catching the DX bug last winter.  I have 7 total, all confirmed.  I figure while 10, 12 and 15 are good, I should probably try and get those bands filled up as much as possible.  If I hear something on 80 cw, I will probably try and get it too.  Since I did not have my extra until late spring, I did not get anything good yet.  I'll keep plugging away, since I am still very young (30), I feel I should have a couple of solar minimums get 80m DXCC.

If you can hang an 80m quarter-wave vertical or inverted L from a tree over 4 raised 60' radials, 100w will give you a good shot at 80m DXCC between now and the spring solstice. You can roll up the radials in the spring if they become a geopolitical liability...

Dave, AA6YQ

N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2012, 09:40:44 PM »

Not sure if anyone noticed but conditions on 80m over the past few days (SFI=95, K=0) were spectacular.  Over a couple nights last weekend, I worked over a hundred NA on 80m, many with excellent 579-599 signals, up into W1 and Maine.  Last night I worked K8GU on a sked who was 579 here while he was running 100W into a vertical from Maryland.  Unfortunately, there were not many W2's who called in - a product of Sandy I suppose.

We are supposedly at the sunspot peak, but cyclically there are times now when activity is low - resulting in low absorption and low aurora - and good low band conditions.  I suspect solar activity might be bouncing upwards again for another 2-3 weeks, but I'll keep an eye on the low bands and will be QRV when things sound good, usually on my Friday/Saturday evenings when I don't have to wake up early in the AM.  As long as there isn't much tropical WX around, I generally hear pretty well with a 1000ft Beverage pointed at W3.

73, Dave KH2/N2NL
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2012, 05:40:21 PM »

Not sure if anyone noticed but conditions on 80m over the past few days (SFI=95, K=0) were spectacular.  Over a couple nights last weekend, I worked over a hundred NA on 80m, many with excellent 579-599 signals, up into W1 and Maine. ... 73, Dave KH2/N2NL

Yes, great condx.  Thanks Dave for the 80M CW QSO just after sunrise here!  Hopefully, they'll be many more condx like this one.  We'll be looking for you a bit later in the season when 160M condx peak.  73, Rich, K3VAT
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2012, 07:01:36 PM »

Hi Dave.  Thanks for your low band activity.  I worked you on 80m last Saturday morning here just after my close neighbor, AA0FT, worked you. I heard you answering a K8's CQ the other morning as well. 
Chuck  NI0C 
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: