Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any creative ideas to working SV2ASP/A from West Coast?  (Read 6439 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: November 01, 2012, 05:05:47 AM »

I've tried emailing and even sending a hand written letter to try to get a sked - but nothing heard back from Elder Monk Apollo.

I do know that he is extremely busy and can appreciate that. I also know he is active a couple times a year - so in a way, this is "sort of" like 1A0 being activated occasionally.

The problem is from the West Coast - we have the East Coast wall and the EU to contend with. I have only ever heard him once - I think his operating hours do not favor the West Coast.

I think P5 is almost less rare than SV2ASP/A, which is kind of funny.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 05:35:10 AM »

I've heard him twice.  The first time was maybe 12 years ago in a hopeless simplex pileup on ten meters SSB.  Once I heard him on 40m CW, but alas he went QRT after only working a few stations.

You might look at spot histories on this one, to see if there's a pattern to his activity.  I seem to recall May as a good month to catch him  (I should take my own advice, as I still need this one, too!)

73 & GL,
Chuck  NI0C

AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 06:04:37 AM »

I worked and cfmed him on 12 last January 7, 2012 and a friend of mine did that same day on RTTY.  I worked him on 17 meters CW in April but I wasn't in his log.  I read somewhere that he has someone else also use his station but I'm not completely sure about the info.  GL!
Randy
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 07:08:33 AM »

He's very difficult to work from the east cost; I can't imagine how bad it must be from 6-land! The last few time's Apollo's been QRV he was on RTTY. Thankfully split, but always with an absolutely killer EU and NA pileup. He also works fairly slowly with long macros. I only need Mt. Athos on 80 and 160 now so you won't need to compete against me in the pileups Cheesy. Well, maybe once for the DX Marathon next year, but that's it.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 08:37:44 AM »

The only time I remember hearing Monk Apollo was on 10 meter RTTY one day, but the pileup was a monster. And usually when he's been active, I'm at work. So I don't think I will ever have a chance until I retire, he comes on during the weekend and the East Coast/EU waits until us on the Left Coast gets to work him first (fat chance), or both Smiley

John K7KB
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 09:48:13 AM »

I think its going to take a long long time. I think 17m is the best bet based on propogation, and his fondness for the band. I think stacked 5 element 17m monobanders and 1500w would be ideal. And If you sit infront of the radio 24/7 for a year, you MIGHT get him.

My plan involves waiting till I can hear him (I have never heard him) and then telling my SV2 friend to call him, and tell him to work all the W6's calling him (and especially KF6's)   Tongue
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 10:18:42 AM »

I think its going to take a long long time. I think 17m is the best bet based on propogation, and his fondness for the band. I think stacked 5 element 17m monobanders and 1500w would be ideal. And If you sit infront of the radio 24/7 for a year, you MIGHT get him.

My plan involves waiting till I can hear him (I have never heard him) and then telling my SV2 friend to call him, and tell him to work all the W6's calling him (and especially KF6's)   Tongue

I think you are right - and I like your idea a lot - very creative!  Grin
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 11:05:17 AM »

I think you are right - and I like your idea a lot - very creative!  Grin

I MIGHT have him throw in a please work the KY6  Cheesy

I think its going to be super, SUPER hard to work him regardless. It's not a great path from here, It's super rare, we are fighting everyone for it, and we have about the worst chance vs. the rest of USA, EU, AF etc. He also is only on briefly. Hei s not on enough to even satisfy most of the active EU ops. The pile ups are nuts, he wont even hear us.
SV1XV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 11:39:25 AM »

If it is of any help, I have noticed that Father Apollo is frequently active in the period before and after Christmas, according to the Julian Calendar, roughly from late December to mid January.

BTW, I have had only two QSOs with SV2ASP/A many years ago, on 80 and 40 m SSB, both confirmed and credited to my DXCC. While I am not located far away, I am within the skip zone for the frequencies and times he operates and signals are very weak. There is no way I can ever have a QSO on 20 m, unless I am the first one to hear him calling CQ.

73 Costas SV1XV

KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 12:04:28 PM »

If it is of any help, I have noticed that Father Apollo is frequently active in the period before and after Christmas, according to the Julian Calendar, roughly from late December to mid January.

Thanks very much, Costas. I will keep my fingers crossed. Working Father Apollo surely would be a wonderful Christmas gift -  Grin
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 12:25:47 PM »

Rich,

Here's an idea.  Create an ally with an East Coast big gun such as W2IRT.  If by chance both of you are in the same pileup and W2IRT makes a contact, have him relay to Apollo that KY6R is calling him.  I have seen this happen on few occasions with big pile ups.  And I have personally helped a friend in CA get an ATNO this way  Grin

Of course if you get that 7dbd antenna on the air you could help us all who need SV2  Cheesy  Please keep me on the top of your SV2 'friends and family' list  Wink

Jonathan W6GX
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 12:50:06 PM »

Rich,

Here's an idea.  Create an ally with an East Coast big gun such as W2IRT.  If by chance both of you are in the same pileup and W2IRT makes a contact, have him relay to Apollo that KY6R is calling him.  I have seen this happen on few occasions with big pile ups.  And I have personally helped a friend in CA get an ATNO this way  Grin

Of course if you get that 7dbd antenna on the air you could help us all who need SV2  Cheesy  Please keep me on the top of your SV2 'friends and family' list  Wink

Jonathan W6GX

Hey - that's a pretty durn good idea!

I will finish riveting the two antennas tonight (see my QRZ.COM page for a picture of the drill press in action!).

It will go up either late tomorrow or Saturday at the latest.

Then in a couple of weeks - the C3 goes up on "Tower 2".

I'll be ready  . . . .

AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 03:17:51 PM »

Well, my (AHEM!) two contacts with Father Apollo were both just a matter of being there when he was there. While at the SC QTH, with a beam antenna on a 50' tower, delta loop and a couple verticals and wires, I never could hear him. Both of my QSOs were from here in Florida with the wire vertical, but I did feed it with around 1KW or so. I heard him quite well both on CW and SSB, and for some reason the pileups were not that heavy. I think it took less than 5 calls each time. For a while, I thought I had worked a slim, it was so easy. Shocked (Sorry, guys.....)

Only similar things were the band (17 meters for both) and the time (1928z on SSB and 1924z on CW). i worked him on SSB on April 19, 2012 and CW on May 27, 2012.

Suggestions on how to work Father Apollo?  Well, considering who and where he is, you might pray harder!  Roll Eyes(For more reasons than one. hi hi) Roll Eyes

GL to all of you who need him.  73, Gene AF3Y
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 03:22:54 PM by AF3Y » Logged
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 11:53:36 PM »

Rich,

Jonathan W6GX

From what I have learned about Apollo I don't think he would go for that East Coast-West Coast relay. 

I know you have done a lot of work getting every last dB possible by building better antennas, but I don't think you run a legal limit amplifier.  If you don't, go and buy a used Alpha at some hamfest or from HRO.  Brute force is about the only thing that's going to work with him from California.

Chris/NU1O
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 12:20:38 AM »

Brute force is about the only thing that's going to work with him from California.

For brute force power you need the Tsunami amplifier.

http://www.dc9dz.de/en/index.html

Jonathan W6GX
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: