Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any creative ideas to working SV2ASP/A from West Coast?  (Read 7220 times)
IK0OZD

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2012, 01:51:59 PM »

I've tried emailing and even sending a hand written letter to try to get a sked - but nothing heard back from Elder Monk Apollo.

I do know that he is extremely busy and can appreciate that. I also know he is active a couple times a year - so in a way, this is "sort of" like 1A0 being activated occasionally.

The problem is from the West Coast - we have the East Coast wall and the EU to contend with. I have only ever heard him once - I think his operating hours do not favor the West Coast.

I think P5 is almost less rare than SV2ASP/A, which is kind of funny.

have you tried to contact the author of this video with convincing arguments?
Monk Apollo is good operator in any mode , cw , ssb and rtty for sure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWOcoXpML1A

N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2012, 06:29:44 PM »

Hard from W6? Try from the Pacific.  In nearly 6 years total in KH2, I have never heard SV/A on any band, at any signal level.  Usually I see him choosing some band/mode combination that is impossible for anyone but EU to work, such as 80m RTTY.  The few times he has been on a band/mode combination when there is propagation from the Pacific, I hear nothing while other SV and I stations are loud.  This is with a station that made 6K plus QSOs in the last WW DX SSB and WW DX CW contest.  Meanwhile, I've heard both his huge Eastern EU pileup and JA pileup at the same time - both areas much closer along the path than I am.  I have written off ever working this entity from here.

I've only ever been able to work him a couple times from the East Coast - even from there it is a challenge.  To give him some credit, I've never had a problem getting those couple QSOs confirmed.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2012, 06:43:17 AM »

How about adding E skip tracking/propagation reports to HF propagation modeling programs--in an effort to find all the workable paths to a particular DX entity--not just the most common ones?
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2012, 03:14:33 PM »

Lack of propagation in NOT the issue here. Working Greece is easy from the West Coast. Getting into Monk Apollo's log book is what is virtually impossible from the furthest reaches of the globe.

Some DXers are satisfied to only work the strongest signals, while others like to dig out the weaker signals and give others a chance for a new one. You can guess what is going on here.....
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2012, 03:40:43 PM »

I listened to the video on DX-World.net and granted I don't know what band it was, but I didn't hear much out of zone 15 getting worked. Maybe a DL or 2 and a LZ.
The funny thing is there could be a huge dxpedition from SV/A and there would still be big demand for SV/A after they left.
IK0OZD

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2012, 04:16:29 PM »

guys another problem could be the location,
mont athos is under a mountain in your direction

A 3 element steppir antenna is at sea level, very difficult for radio waves to bypass those mountains :
maybe for the west coast is better long path if the propagation is good

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Athos_dochiariou_axb01.jpg

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2012, 06:51:19 PM »

I have come to the conclusion that the only thing I need is luck.  Like being able to hear him call CQ.  By the time he has been spotted my chances go to nil.  I might as well try to work him in afterlife.

Jonathan W6GX
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2012, 02:59:01 AM »

You don't need to be loud to work stations with big pileups.  Sometimes, you just need be lucky.  It certainly helps to practice--one way to practice is to get your QRP DXCC.  You could make it doubly difficult by only working stations with big pileups.  I was particularly pleased at working JY8KG--my only contact with the Colvins, on 20M SSB running QRP--despite an enormous pileup.  Grin
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 03:01:59 AM by W1VT » Logged
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2012, 10:38:45 AM »

W1VT, are we still discussing Athos?

Yes, let's all add to the West Coast challenge, we can all try calling Monk Apollo while QRP. That will really help solve our challenge.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2012, 12:18:14 PM »

I'm just pointing out that it isn't impossible to work station through a wall of stronger stations--a few weaker stations can get lucky and make it though a huge pileup.  Of course, if the pileup is so intimidating that you stay one the  sidelines--then it is obvious you can't make the contact.  I did find that when I was making lots of QRP DX contacts, technique became very important.  I remember operating at QRO with a big W3GM and having a station point out that I wasn't calling him on the right 40M SSB frequency--but it didn't matter because I was so loud (I didn't quite spin the dial fast enough when he turned it over for callers)  In this case I got away with inferior technique and still got a valid contest contact.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2012, 02:33:18 PM »

Aeronautical Mobile at 3:00 am with a 2000 watt amp and an RTTY  set up on board the aircraft!..... Shocked....Good luck.....as for this quote: "Getting someone to ask the DX to listen for you is about as bad as working him on a net"
.......Irony can be bretty ironic sometimes!... Roll Eyes.......

V
KA3NRX

« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 02:55:21 PM by KA3NRX » Logged
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2012, 03:32:29 PM »

Aeronautical Mobile at 3:00 am with a 2000 watt amp and an RTTY  set up on board the aircraft!..... Shocked....Good luck.....as for this quote: "Getting someone to ask the DX to listen for you is about as bad as working him on a net"
.......Irony can be bretty ironic sometimes!... Roll Eyes.......

Except that being /AM wouldn't count for DXCC Cheesy

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2012, 07:10:21 PM »

If you want to work SV2ASP/A from anywhere, you must find him and work him before the cluster hordes arrive. That requires two things:

1. knowing where and when he is likely to show up

2. knowing when you're likely to have a reasonable opening (there's no point monitoring a band that's not likely to be open)

Monk Apollo tends to be active in bursts. If he's QRV one day, there's a good chance he'll be QRV the next. Keep track of when and where he's first spotted and how long he stays, paying attention to the day-of-the-week. His work assignments do change, but if you look for him at the times and places he's previously been QRV, you'll increase your chances of getting a pre-horde opportunity. If one or more fellow DXers also need a QSO with SV2ASP, you can work together to find him, further increasing your chances; whatever you do, don't spot him until you and your friends all have good QSOs in the log.

I specifically designed DXLab to help work "difficult" DX like SV2ASP/A: its Spot Database automatically maintains a history of when, where, and for how long a needed DX station has been QRV, and it includes the ability to predict and monitor HF propagation.

Dave, AA6YQ
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2012, 12:24:32 AM »

Finally heard SV/A on 20m LP today - not strong by any means - but for the 1st time ever.  Half of Japan and Oceania (VK/ZL) were calling.  He was working only IK's and other EU.  Must be nice to be your own DXCC country.

Hopeless case.
G4AYU

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2012, 03:52:18 AM »

I just worked Monk Apollo at 10:20 today on 10 RTTY  Smiley .
Theres no info on his QRZ page about what should accompany a QSL card..should I send an IRC or Green Stamps (and how much would you recommend).
73s
Norman G4AYU
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: