Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Opinion on Single Lever Paddle  (Read 1057 times)
K0WA

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2008, 06:41:40 PM »

I am seeking the group's opinion Single Lever Paddles.  

I do not use Iambic key and do not feel iambic keying makes sending CW easier or more efficient. YMMV.  My opinion after 40 years of CW traffic handling and contesting.  Again, your mileage may vary!

So, who makes or has a nice single lever paddle out there?

I currently use a Vibroplex non-iambic paddle and a Bencher Iambic paddle (which I never use as an iambic paddle).

Just curious as to what is being used out there.  Lets not turn this into an iambic vs non-iambic issue.  After all when the CW gets to the receiver it is not labeled as iambic or non-iambic.  I am looking for a paddle.

Lee - K0WA
9V1VV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 07:34:43 PM »

Hello Lee,

Like you, I use a single paddle key.

I have tried a few, and also used dual paddles as a single paddle.

Last year I bought a Begali Simplex Mono - you can see it on the Begali site and read reviews about it on eham. Actually it is two paddles joined mechanically to feel like dual paddles.

It feels very light and natural. If you go for it, I recommend to order the optional small metal paddles - they are much better for sending faster.

John
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 12:18:11 AM »

I have two single-lever paddles:

1.  An Autronic, which I like -- it's crisp even with small contact spacing and light tension.  40 years old, and nicer than the Vibroplex single paddle.

2.  A Bencher SP-2 (chrome plated base) which I don't  like as much.  It doesn't feel as nice as the Autronic.  I suspect that the pivot bearings are worn, or mis-aligned, or something -- "center" isn't quite as definite as it should be.

The Autronics show up occasionally on eBay, and they're (usually) reasonably priced.  

Charles
W8ZNX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 12:51:53 AM »

Hello Lee

Your right
iambic doen not make it easier or faster

see

" Iambic Keying Debunking the Myth "
by Marshall Emm N1FN
at
www.morsex.com/pubs/iambicmyth.pdf

single lever
go for broke
get the best

ex Schurr now Scheunemann Morsetasten EINHEBEL
morse express has them

also like the GHD keys but im not so hot on lots of chrome

single lever Vibroplex is crude clunky and a pain to use
had one and never liked it
mind  i do love my 75+ year old Vibroplex Lightning bug
but thats a bug not a paddle

yours truly
Mac
WQ3T

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 06:34:03 PM »

Start out with a hacksaw blade on some wood with screws as contacts. This works surprisingly well and will give you a feel before dropping the big bucks. A single lever paddle will allow you to send like a bug without the timing problems you might have with a bug's moving pendulum. With a bug, the dits gradually change timing as friction takes over, but with a single lever paddle you can send dits at the same rate forever. You can use a single lever paddle for SKCC and nobody will notice, but it might be against your own personal standards. You can send American Morse with a single lever paddle but not with an Iambic. I think you might like a single lever paddle.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 12:34:51 AM »

I'm new to the Morse code CW thing, but already I find that I prefer the dual paddle. I'm not any good at it, but I like it. Maybe it's a "chocolate" vs. "vanilla" argument?

The article discussing the myth of iambic keying was interesting. He points out that even the term "iambic" is a misnomer for the dual paddle key. A more appropriate term might be "iambic-trochaic."

Whereas, Mozart's Requiem Mass "Dies Irae" and Edgar Allen Poe's "The Raven" are more stimulating than perhaps the metrical feet used by (ho-hum) Longfellow, Tennyson or Shakespeare, I hereby declare that my Kent dual paddle shall be known from this moment forward as, "trochaic." and cease to be known as "iambic."

Something about "QUOTH the RAven NEver MORE" is more enchanting than "i SHOT an ARrow IN(to) the AIR."

It seems that in Morse code only the letter "A" is purely iambic. "R" might qualify as an incomplete iamb. The punctuation period "." is also iambic.

The myth article mentions also the letter "D" is a dactyl and the letter "U" is an antidactyl, while the letters "N" and "C" are the complement to the iamb: the "trochee."

This is probably something I was to have learned in English class many years ago. Were then only I'd known the educational value of forums such as this, I would have slept through even more of those college lectures, guiltlessly and without qualm.

Nonetheless, I did learn the meanings of "facetious," "jocose" and "droll."

:-)
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 06:13:27 PM »

Chocolate or vanilla. I think that's a good way to put it. In my case it was easy to transition from a bug to a single lever paddle when electronic keyers first came on the scene, and I never mastered the use of a dual lever paddle. To each his own.

W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 02:07:42 PM »

single lever only way to go.

I have a Begali mono and a Kent SP-1

I like the Kent better than the Begali

73  W9OY
DJ1YFK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 05:44:16 PM »

I recently switched from iambic keying to a single lever paddle.

Although having used squeeze keying for nearly ten years, the transition took a few days only and I quickly felt very comfortable with the single lever paddle.

At slow speeds, there wasn't really a difference, but I noticed that my sending at higher speeds, near my personal limit improved in accuracy.

You will have to do a few more movements with your fingers, but I that's weak argument for iambic keying.

My observation is, that with iambic keying at high speeds (and that may be 15wpm for someone, and 60wpm for someone else) most errors occur due to the squeeze technique.

Although the average ham is not quite competing at that level, it's worth mentioning that all the current IARU world records in sending high speed CW (e.g. 283 real characters in letters, that over 70wpm PARIS, by Andrei Bindasov, EU7KI) were set with single lever paddles.

NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 03:05:57 PM »

Since 1959, I've gone through the full gamut of keying devices-- straight keys, bugs, an early non self-completing element keyer (MonKey), Eldico and W9TO self-completing element keyers, to the extremely versatile K1EL WinKey.  

Although I've never consciously applied any "squeeze" or iambic techniques, I prefer to use a dual lever paddle.  I also seem to prefer my WinKey setup for iambic "B" mode.  I think I am subconsciously picking up some shortcuts available with the dual lever paddle.  The last time I tried a single lever paddle, I didn't like the results. (Too much motion involved in sending, with less accuracy.)

The best single lever paddle I ever used was the old heavy gray Ultronic (circa late 60's).

Chuck  NI0C
K8WV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 04:00:25 PM »

I have, and use a Bencher single lever paddle and a Brown Brothers dual.  I'd be hard pressed to say which is my favorite.  I like them both.

But . . . the single lever paddle is much more forgiving, and as I get older (45 yrs a ham), I find I like the single lever a lot.  I have a touch of carpal tunnel and the single lever is MUCH easier to use when it flares up.

Dan, K8WV
N2UGB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 07:58:24 PM »

Looks like I may be alone here, but on the rare occasions when I go electronic I love my Vibroplex Vibrokeyers. Have the same feel as my bugs with very similar wrist motion. Solid as a rock too.
AE5I

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 08:04:16 AM »

They haven't been made since the 90s, but if you happen to see a Jones single lever key available, you might give it consideration.  I have one and the fit and finish are excellent.  The base is very heavy and it stays put very well on the operating bench.

It has a very different feel from Bencher, Vibroplex, Mercury etc but it works beautifully.  I don't use it much anymore but would never get rid of it.

I got a Mercury last year and don't know what I could ask for beyond that...  ;-)

73 and good luck shopping!

Tom AE5I
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 02:16:31 PM »

In my August 12 posting here, I referred to an "Ultronic" single lever paddle.  That should have been "Autronic."

Chuck  NI0C
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 11:34:19 AM »

I use the Kent singal lever at home, and a Vibroplex single lever at my best Ham friend's house.  Both are great.  I like the lower profile of the Kent better, and you can make the settings so light as to be amazing.  You just have to be patient when you first try to set the Kent.  I've hit 60 wpm on the Kent, so it must be doing something right, hi!  Great tactile feel on both paddles.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: