Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is QRP really about and do you truly exercise QRP?  (Read 6576 times)
N2RRA

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2012, 06:12:32 PM »

We all know QRP is partially building QRP units and being creative doing it, but QRP isn't about just the build. Its about how you exercise the power of QRP under a variety of conditions. Those conditions are based on antenna choice's, because that is the primary base's for any station QRP ,or up to QRO levels.

So I started searching YouTube and was able to discover a few OM's showing off a variety of creative ways to build QRP units ,or show case QRP configurations for portability. What I'm not finding are too many people exercising the power of QRP. So instead of just showing off the equipment I started making videos exercising the power of QRP in different locations using a variety of antennas.

Reason for this was because I was fed up with seeing forums where guys swore running QRP mobile, or with inefficient antennas in the field weren't gonna amount to nothing. I've read people saying that 3,000, 4,000 and 10,000 mile QSO's QRP weren't likely ,or were far few in between. I wanted to show that I could do it and do it breaking pile ups with guys running kilowatts and stacked beams frequently.  Wink

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=n2rra&oq=n2rra&gs_l=youtube.3..0l2.24310.25066.0.25409.5.4.0.1.1.0.39.114.4.4.0...0.0...1ac.1.rezhDQiB6X0

So here's a link above that I thought might give QRP'ers idea's that are stuck home thinking their limited to running QRP with high efficiency Yagi's and dipoles an alternative. Get out and enjoy the outdoors and a multitude of things like a Barbecue, or beach on a frequent bases with out leaving home with out it. You get to get out more with the kids, XYL and still have fun operating with out them complaining all you do is stay stuck at home operating, contesting, or DX'ing and don't participate in family functions.

How about this one better!

Get exercise while operating and get to enjoy the views and scenery's that come along with it. At the same time you actually promote and get to expose folks to amateur radio. Once they see the wires, verticals and variety of directional antennas swaying in the wind their sure to come and ask a load of questions.

If that link stops working try this one: http://www.qrz.com/db/

Either or will direct you too viewing QRP in parks, beaches, in woods, inside a home literally still working that good old propagation and reviews and performance on different equipment.

Hope it may inspire others to do the same and get creative with their antennas ,but from different locations, times, bands and modes.

73!
Eric
N2RRA
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 06:16:09 PM by N2RRA » Logged
KW6LA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 07:12:10 PM »

QRP is more about antennas than building anymore. Bad enough at 100w some of the ridicules antennas Ham run on HF with the Fix-all antenna tuners.
Last weekend in the Mojave Desert I used a mobile setup for a sked at 300watts. Conditions were so good I QRPed to 8 watss SSB on 17 meters and maintained
contact for 20 minutes. Did I do this for the thrill…………..No I didn’t want to kill my battery! The mobile antenna is BIG,  10 feet long with a 5 inch loading coil and
#10 wire. Home Brew and a flame thrower on 40m. I do this a lot camping to save power. I could start the engine and QRO to 400 pep, but why if you don’t have to.
Just another reason for low power and not to feed my ego when someone copies my / QRP/ M with their co-phased Beams on a tower. Get real about antennas
and QRP gets a lot sweeter !

KW6LA / T2
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 07:43:18 PM »

QRP is more about antennas than building anymore. Bad enough at 100w some of the ridicules antennas Ham run on HF with the Fix-all antenna tuners.
Last weekend in the Mojave Desert I used a mobile setup for a sked at 300watts. Conditions were so good I QRPed to 8 watss SSB on 17 meters and maintained
contact for 20 minutes. Did I do this for the thrill…………..No I didn’t want to kill my battery! The mobile antenna is BIG,  10 feet long with a 5 inch loading coil and
#10 wire. Home Brew and a flame thrower on 40m. I do this a lot camping to save power. I could start the engine and QRO to 400 pep, but why if you don’t have to.
Just another reason for low power and not to feed my ego when someone copies my / QRP/ M with their co-phased Beams on a tower. Get real about antennas
and QRP gets a lot sweeter !

KW6LA / T2

LOL! HMMM!

Running low power QRP as an option when that's all necessary for the QSO is another option and just that. Except, Thats not QRP!

So pertaining to true QRP'ers running QRP on a 12v 7ah battery, solar, wind, or generator is the thrill in it all. Taking the time to get ones fat self out of the mobile and setting up a portable antenna they had to hump across the Mojave desert ,or up a mountain is the thrill and worth the pat on the back and ego boost.

I do agree guys do use crappy antennas and loaded up crap antennas with tuners which is even more a reason they need to get their lazy ass's out the house and doing something worth while.  Wink

Experimenting with a lossy antenna and using it to bust the pile up ,or make the same contact you did with your big luxurious sitting in AC/heated mobile makes the ego that much sweeter.

The point and reason for the thread is too get out with high efficient dipoles, verticals and even compromised ,but useable antennas can be fun and a thrill to test.

Anybody can do it from a mobile with a $400. antenna and with 400 watts ,or 8 watts. Even a monkey!

Can you do it humping it and in compromised ,or not so compromised locations to show the power of a watt?

Thats the thrill!

N2RRA / QRP
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 07:46:07 PM by N2RRA » Logged
KW6LA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 08:37:19 PM »

How did you know I was Fat LoL !

Can’t say you are wrong on what QRP means to you but picture this. After build the antenna myself $ 40.00 not 400 and 4 wheeling  20 miles into the Mojave interior @ midnight. I set up a cot and bag under the stars.
Temperature was   37f  and creepy when you are all alone on the back side of the moon. The coyotes hunt rabbits at night and its sounds like a woman being murdered with a knife. Didn’t sleep all that well cuz they had
about 4 kills that night. After hiking the desert most of the day I did park my butt in the SUV and made the contact 8 watts and fun. Point is yes I have backpacked qrp, but have had some very rugged trips with a QRP set
up at base camp. I went to the Quick mobile set-up years back, because BLM and the Rangers give you a nice talking to when you put a dipole up in THEIR TREES ! !  A lot of work goes into building one of these antennas and
I would do the hike rather than build another one. You might join me next time ?

KW6LA 
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 09:13:05 PM »

I went to the Quick mobile set-up years back, because BLM and the Rangers give you a nice talking to when you put a dipole up in THEIR TREES ! ! 

And watch out for the Tree Huggers!  Grin

One time I was at the Wawona campground in Yosemite
putting up a 300 ohm TV line fed doublet antenna.
Using a Wrist Rocket to get a pull up line over tree branches.
This crazy hippie earth mother type chick got in my face about
"Trying to kill birds and squirrels" and that she was
going to contact the Rangers. Fine by me.

I was all setup with my battery, solar panel, K2,key and logbook
when the Ranger approached me. He was quite fascinated
with the whole setup and said that he'd never seen anyone do
what I was doing before. He said I was fine (though technically
using the wrist rocket was prohbited in the park) and said
"Just make sure you take everything out of the trees"
when I left. Oh yeah, he said next time I might move
another hundred yards away from the campground
with my setup. It was the last time I operated from
a proper campground.

73 Ken  AD6KA
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 09:14:25 PM »

How did you know I was Fat LoL !

Can’t say you are wrong on what QRP means to you but picture this. After build the antenna myself $ 40.00 not 400 and 4 wheeling  20 miles into the Mojave interior @ midnight. I set up a cot and bag under the stars.
Temperature was   37f  and creepy when you are all alone on the back side of the moon. The coyotes hunt rabbits at night and its sounds like a woman being murdered with a knife. Didn’t sleep all that well cuz they had
about 4 kills that night. After hiking the desert most of the day I did park my butt in the SUV and made the contact 8 watts and fun. Point is yes I have backpacked qrp, but have had some very rugged trips with a QRP set
up at base camp. I went to the Quick mobile set-up years back, because BLM and the Rangers give you a nice talking to when you put a dipole up in THEIR TREES ! !  A lot of work goes into building one of these antennas and
I would do the hike rather than build another one. You might join me next time ?

KW6LA 

LMAO!

I know the sound because when I was camping on one of the two properties I own in the catskills the first time I heard them Coyotes I went into panic mode  Shocked around 1:am by the fire even though I had my 12ga. cocked and loaded. LOL!

As far as joining ya'! As long as you're not planing on gutting me while I sleep ,or try something funny.....I'm down! LOL! Serious!

Never operated from the mojave and I'm sure it would be interesting to see the stars from there. Maybe might catch a UFO or two!  Wink

Would love to see you post a video on that home brew antenna and what it can do. That was what I was hoping would inspire others with this thread.

N2RRA

N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 09:18:54 PM »

I went to the Quick mobile set-up years back, because BLM and the Rangers give you a nice talking to when you put a dipole up in THEIR TREES ! !  

And watch out for the Tree Huggers!  Grin

One time I was at the Wawona campground in Yosemite
putting up a 300 ohm TV line fed doublet antenna.
Using a Wrist Rocket to get a pull up line over tree branches.
This crazy hippie earth mother type chick got in my face about
"Trying to kill birds and squirrels" and that she was
going to contact the Rangers. Fine by me.

I was all setup with my battery, solar panel, K2,key and logbook
when the Ranger approached me. He was quite fascinated
with the whole setup and said that he'd never seen anyone do
what I was doing before. He said I was fine (though technically
using the wrist rocket was prohbited in the park) and said
"Just make sure you take everything out of the trees"
when I left. Oh yeah, he said next time I might move
another hundred yards away from the campground
with my setup. It was the last time I operated from
a proper campground.

73 Ken  AD6KA

People should mind their business!!  Angry

At least inquire if it would hurt the tree and rationalize the situation. I would've told her take a hike!

Never let that prevent you doing what you like to do. Just giving that idiot her satisfaction. That's why verticals are becoming my choice of antenna, but never leave home with out a good old dipole in my back pack.

N2RRA
KW6LA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 09:58:24 PM »

http://www.k0bg.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1743

Take a look at the antenna I am on this page of K0BG site. All handmade and I use very large cap hat on the lower bands for even more efficiency.
Yeah………. I pack a Mossburg 590 trench gun with 9 rounds out there. Coyotes are one thing , but I have see Mountain Lions out there. Goggle
Last Chance Canyon, Mojave and you can see what hell looks like and my sand box. Long as I know we are both packing we should get along fine.

KW6LA/M/QRP 
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 10:10:14 PM »

That's why verticals are becoming my choice of antenna,

Yes, I've found that I like wire verticals when
portable in the woods. Easier to erect as they only
require one support and can be fed with mini coax.
(A couple years ago I got a GREAT deal on 100 feet
of RG-316, the MILSPEC Silver Teflon version of RG-174.)
I like to, when I can, put the feed point 6-7 feet
up and keep 2 or 3 radials in the air for efficiency.

but never leave home with out a good old dipole in my back pack

I don't always take a dipole in the field, I figure
I can fashion one in the field if I want.
BUT...I always keep a very sturdily built
10m-15m-20m fan dipole and 50' of RG8X in my
Emergency Go Bag! No Ham Sticks in an emergency
for me.

I've spent quite a bit of time in The Mohave (near Boron
mostly) with a nature photographer friend of mine. Have had close
encounters with scorpions, tarantulas, and the Mohave
Green Rattler (the most venomous rattlesnake in North
America, their venom is a Neurotoxin, not a Hemotoxin
like other rattlers). Also ran into a lot of "Desert Rats", the
often odd folks who chose to live out there.  Cheesy But I have
 found that all of the above pretty much leave you alone...
IF you leave them alone.  Grin

73, Ken  AD6KA
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 10:15:15 PM by AD6KA » Logged
SV1XV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 11:13:28 PM »

QRP is a well known sexual disorder, and according to phychiatrists its proper name is Masochism. It is named after Leopold von Sacher-Masoch, JE0RK, who was trying to work the Clipperton DX-pedition with a Ten-Tec Argonaut when all his friends used various models of the FT-101 with external amplifiers.

SV1XV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 01:01:20 AM »

Frustation leading to depression is another medical disorder related to QRP. It is also attributed to Leopold, JE0RK, during the 3Y0C DX-pedition. As he was trying for 5 hours to work the DX in SSB on 10 m with his Argonaut, there were some lids causing QRM. The operator at 3Y0C lost his temper and shouted "shut up jerk". Now Leopold though that he finally got through and hastily replied "59 73". At that time there were no on-line logs etc., so he just sent a direct QSL with a Green Stamp. Three months later he got a reply "Not in the log". The same day he was admitted in  a psychiatric hospital, where he was diagnosed with a special type of depression. He died in the hospital many years later. His case was the subject of a scientific paper and was discussed in many medical symposia.

After these tragic events, the word "jerk", derived from JE0RK's callsign, was added to the English language, and originally described a ham trying to contact DX with very poor equipment, especially with very low power. Later the meaning was extended to cover anyone with foolish or provocative behavior.

N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 04:39:49 AM »

Cheesy

LOL! Pretty funny Costa's!

Except I think it also caused delusional tendencies and psychiatric issues to people who hated that his Argonaut QRP signal made contacts on all bands with NH8S.

Signs were rants about his QRP signal from an Argonaut and talking about themselves as they were a third party. That's called split personality which is a scary psychiatric symptom.  Roll Eyes

Hmmmm!  Wink

From QRZ bio:

"Costas got his ham license as SV1XV in 1985 and also held callsign G7AHN between 1987 and 1994. His main amateur radio projects in the past were TCP/IP packet radio (AMPRnet, KA9Q NOS) and APRS.

Nowdays he is mostly active in RTTY on HF, plus 50 MHz SSB and CW. Costas is also intrerested in the Low Frequency bands, below 500 kHz (although he cannot erect the proper antennas for transmission).

QSL cards for SV1XV can be sent either Direct (address above) or via the QSL bureau. No return postage is necessary for direct QSL cards.

Electronic logs for all QSOs are uploaded regularly to the ARRL Logbook of the World (LoTW). Logs are also uploaded to eQSL.cc"

Costas is a member of RSGB, BARTG and LWCA (Longwave Club of America).
SV1XV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 09:04:08 AM »

We saw in the previous story that trying to work DX using QRP (i.e. less than 2.5 KW for SSB and 1.5 kW for CW/RTTY) can be dangerous for the mental health of a ham.

Fortunately the German phychiatrist Burkhard Baumgartner, DF5XV, discovered a cure, which is called project tsunami therapy and consists of a 15 kW HF amplifier using a 4CX10000D tube. After treatment the patiend can easily work the missing DXCC entities and win the Honor Roll in about two years.

Most State and private health insurance funds cover the cost of this special cure, if it is prescribed by a psychiatrist affiliated with a national amateur radio society member of IARU or with a recognized DX club.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 09:45:51 AM by SV1XV » Logged
GILGSN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 01:29:08 PM »

I operate QRP only, never used more than 15W. I don't even own a radio that can output more, my favorite being my K1, and that's 6.5W top, I run it at 5W. I have no idea what that frustration you guys are talking about is.. If you care too much about making QSOs I can see how it could happen, but QRP is not about logging QSOs. The motivation is different. Some people will love QRP, others will not. There should be no question however about a few Watts being enough to work the World. It works, just not every time.

Gil.
ND6P

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 07:20:56 AM »

One time my brother and I set up portable near a lake in a group of pine trees here in Southern California.  After a while, a couple of forest rangers pulled in and treated us very rudely.  They inspected everything, looking for an infraction.  Fortunately, we had not used any nails in the trees or they would have wrote us up for that.  Apparently, a brush fire had broken out nearby a week before and they were trying to tie us to the crime.  We did not know about the brush fire.

So with QRP, it's possible to hike uphill where ranger vehicles cannot travel to be left alone to do some operating.  I've had some great contacts on 20 meters doing this.  Most rangers are not going to hike uphill to see what is going on.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: