Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VHF radio in a 2010 Explorer  (Read 1499 times)
KD7RAT

Ignore
« on: November 03, 2012, 01:28:47 PM »

Hi.  I just bought a new to us, 2010 explorer.  I am trying to figure out how to install a 2 meter radio in it.  We had one in the previous explorer, a 2000 but this one has a lot less room in it in front.

who can help me

thanks

dick
KD7RAT
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 03:22:25 PM »

You can mount any radio in any vehicle if you take enough time to figure out how.

I don't think there is a 2010 Explorer in my Photo Gallery, but it is worth a look: http://www.k0bg.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=250

W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 12:01:49 PM »

My business-band 900 MHz two-way radio is installed in the glove box of my 2006 Jeep.  The last four cars I've driven have had mobile radios installed in the glove box.  Sometimes this required removing a small portion of the back of the plastic glove box with a Dremel tool.  That is easily patched or replaced (or ignored) when trading the vehicle.  I remoted the microphone to the driver's side of the center console.  The remote speaker is up under the dash.  It's the type of installation we've done for years in undercover police cars.

Your two meter radio is, no doubt, smaller than my commercial radio.  And, keep in mind that business band and public safety radios tend to stay on the same "channel" for long periods of time, so access to the front panel being limited is often not really an issue.  If you monitor the same repeater frequency most of the time, this could be a mounting option for you.  If not, it might spur some creative thinking.

Terry, WØFM
KC2BUN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 03:12:04 PM »

I have a yaesue ft2800(2meter) n I wanted to know if it's safe/ok to mount 2 hustler buck busters on top my 2005 Nissan Xterra. Where I want to mount them is beside my light bar(federal signal 3pod vector) using the bolts that mount the lightbar down, the bolts r bout 18"+/- apart. Can any fellow hams help me out? Thank you
KC2BUN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: