Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: splitting  (Read 1576 times)
KB3WUR

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2012, 08:37:13 AM »

I want to run two rigs. One is a 70cm/2m that is set up with 100' of rg8x and a jpole. The other is a n hf rig using a dipole tuned for 6m-40m. Can I use the same piece of rg8x and put a splitter at the end of it that connects to both antennas and still get good performance with both rigs? I really dont want to run another 100' of the rg8x as the wife was not happy with the first run of wire.

thanks for any thoughts
kb3wur
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 09:03:22 AM »

Sure you can, but you'd need an antenna switch in the "shack" to switch the main coax line going to the antennas between the two rigs, and then a diplexer up on top to connect to the 6m/HF antenna and the 2m/70cm antenna.

The Comet CF-530, CF-530C or CF-706A will do this:

http://www.cometantenna.com/products.php?CatID=1&famID=6&childID=0

I have these things in service for many years, and they work fine.
KC9Q

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 09:59:15 AM »

With the parts given you probably don't need a RF switch.  Install the CF-503 at the antenna end and the CF-706A and the radio end.  Use one coax to connect them and then the duplex features to split the RF betweeen the J-Pole and the HF antennas (CF-530) up top and the 70cm/2m and HF radios (CF-706A) in the shack.

Mike
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 12:52:52 PM »

the wife was not happy with the first run of wire.

Tell her about something you're not happy with and call it even.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 07:17:48 PM »

A diplexer will work , with a switch on one end  to select the radio and a diplexer on the other end to feed the proper antenna. Another way is to use something like a SGC 236 at the far end to do it for you. Or even get a single rig , like and ft 857, with a diplexer on both ends.  but running 2m/440 for 100 feet is a bit lossy, but not so much on HF.  perhaps a 2m/440 mobile mag mount on a rain gutter or up hidden in the attic  with a much shorter coax will do and the rg 8x  is used for the  HF rig.

Another way is to run 2 coaxes, perhaps hidden inside a stragically placed garden hose, or under the house and up behind the rain gutters, or my favorite is for the wife approval problem , is to start collecting pictures of the most, biggest and uglest antennas and tower setups you can find and show them to her, saying wow, it would be so cool to have this, then when you "settle" for only a sceond coax, she can feel fortunate.  but don't take my advice for it, I have been married and divorced 4 times, , so I am no expert.
KF7ATL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 05:56:56 PM »

That sounds like a great idea, Mark. Too bad it doesn't work that way! HI HI.

Garth
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 07:29:24 PM »

I used a splitter to use a common coax for 6m and 2m beams. It worked at first, but the weather got to it.
Better idea - use a Remote Coax switch outdoors, and a manual coax switch in the shack. Some coax switches
send the switch signal up the coax, but I think they're not good at UHF. I used indoor/outdoor Cat-3 wire
to connect to my outdoor switch.

Fred, KQ6Q
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 03:39:34 AM »

That sounds like a great idea, Mark. Too bad it doesn't work that way! HI HI.

Why not?  Marriage is supposed to be a partnership.  It's too bad that some wives think that partnership is all hers to say what to do--and his to do it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: