Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smoke detector chirping  (Read 4430 times)
KC6SLA

Ignore
« on: November 04, 2012, 02:32:24 PM »

I am getting back into ham radio after being way for a few years. I set up my Hustler 4BTV ground mounted with 16 radials that are 20 feet long. I was able to get the SWR down to about 1.5 to one on 10 and 15 meters (haven't tuned for 20 or 40 meters yet). I made an attempt to call CQ on 15 and caused one of my smoke dectectors to start chirping. The detector is about 30 to 35 feet from the antenna and is at the same level as the antenna. It did not trigger any other detector and they all wired so if one goes off, they all go off so I am assuming the RF is getting into the detector but not the whole system. What should I do to stop it from chirping?
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 05:51:27 PM »

A weak battery can cause them to chirp. I`ve had that happen.
KC6SLA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 06:20:41 PM »

So if the battery in the detector is weak and I transmit on my HF radio, that could cause the chirp? It doesn't chirp when I am not transmitting like it would when the battery is getting low.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 06:24:02 PM »

That is a problem that is sometimes best solved by replacing the smoke detector with another model or brand.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 06:57:03 AM »

Replace the battery.  After all, what does a battery cost?  It could be that the signal is interfering with the detector battery sensor if the battery is starting to get low, but not low enough to trigger the sensor on its own.  If the detector keeps on chirping, replace it.  If the detector is hard to get at, probably best replace it to begin with.  

One way or the other, problem solved.  73!
KC6SLA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 09:41:58 AM »

Sounds good. replacing the battery is easy (and I like easy fixes) so I will start with that. Kinda makes sense as none of the other smoke detectors are giving me any trouble. I hope it is just a battery issue. Guess I will find out tonight when I get home.
If anyone else has ideas, please post them just in case this doesn't solve it.
N4UJW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 09:44:45 AM »

I had a similar problem with my smoke detector/s chirping. One in particular was driving me crazy.

Although not related to rfi...all I did was replace the battery in the offender...it was the only oe that was still chirping every now and then....so I took it down...cleaned it well with a can of high pressure air....problem solved.
You might try this..and while you are at it...clean all of them and replace the batteries as I did! So far so good after a couple of years!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 05:14:30 AM »

Blowing out those detectors with a can of pressurized air may well stop the chirping, but you can't clean out the detector adequately--and still depend on it for full protection--if that is what's causing the chirping.  Best if the detector was replaced. 
KC6SLA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 07:24:16 AM »

I think I found the problem. It was the carbon monoxide detectors not smoke detectors that were chirping (they are near each other). They just plug into the wall so when I want to work 15 or 20 meters (the only bands that make them chirp), I just unplug them. It is nice when it's an easy fix. Haven't used the radio much since I figured it out but it seems to work so far Grin
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 12:22:22 PM »

Hi Kyle,

While the solution you describe aboves provides an immediate (albeit temporary) fix to your problem I would urge you to work toward a more permanent solution.  Should you ever uplug the carbon monoxide detectors to operate your ham station and forget to plug them back in, it could cost your or someone you love their lives.

Keep hunting!

Terry, WØFM
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 10:57:48 PM »

I have those CO detectors too and I think they are the source of the chirps that I hear when I run a high duty cycle mode.  I wonder if I could somehow shield the RF sensitive circuit...

Jonathan W6GX
N7EKU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 11:10:35 PM »

Top this  Cheesy

If I am within about 10' of my CO detector, it chirps when I take off my sweater (from the static electricity)!  I think they are pretty sensitive to RF.  Glad we don't use spark transmitters anymore!

Mark / N7EKU
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: