Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Indelible pen for marking cable shrink sleeving?  (Read 7346 times)
2E0ILY

Ignore
« on: November 05, 2012, 02:58:32 AM »

The cost of the shrink bands for my sleeve printer is ridiculous and I am considering using some form of fine indelible ink pen to hand mark shrink tube to ID larger conductors. I have plenty of ex UK military connector leads with ID done in this way, by hand. Anyone know of a suitable marker pen? Thanks.

Best regards, Chris Wilson.
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 05:02:58 AM »

I use silver Sharpie pens for marking black cables and black heat shrink.

Phil - AD5X
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 10:34:39 AM »

Sharpie makes a "metallic silver" permanent marker that shows up well on dark surfaces. You should be able to find it at office supply stores, although I found mine at Walmart and have seen it at Big Lots, etc. GL
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 04:47:46 PM »

if you're talking about the lacquer pens, they are imported from a japanese manufacturer, and the indentical pens are also availiable.  I got a couple at an art store, and they work the same.

over time, that metallic lacquer will dull, also.  it has on ice cube supplies for me, mostly.  nothing is perfect, but I'm using more and more Brother TZ labels folded against themselves sticky to sticky.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 05:23:48 PM »

REQ:  After years of trying various methods of cable identification I finally settled on the label maker tape method, sticky against sticky.

Very visible and long lasting.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 06:58:15 AM »

Well the best is the cable-labeling printers that make printed sleeves. Not cheap to get started! But free when you use them at work!

With regards to markers... I like the Dykem "Brite-Marks". The Japanese paint markers in art stores are similar and almost as good.

Dykem brochure: http://www.dymon.com/catalogs/catalogue_727830681.pdf

Machine tool shops, McMaster-Carr, Grainger, etc. carry the Dykems.
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 08:16:03 PM »

Silver Sharpies are cheap - pick 2.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 12:34:22 PM »

We've tried a lot of markers for labels in the greenhouse, where many "permanent"
markers fade out by the end of the summer due to exposure to the sun.  Our
current favorite is the "IDenti Pen" from Sakura Color Products, which has two sizes
of tips on one pen.  I think we got those from an art store.

Previously we used a Sharpie INDUSTRIAL with SUPER PERMANENT ink.  They
still fade over time in the sun, but not as bad as most other types we have
tried.

Writing on heat shrink tubing is still iffy, however, as the ink can soak in after
it has been shrunk.  You might try marking it BEFORE shrinking and see if that
holds up better.

2E0ILY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 02:29:09 PM »

God knows what the British military used, I have tried carbon tetrachloride and cellulose thinners on these hand written ID's on shrink tube, and neither has any effect on the ink. Maybe it's because it's been allowed to "mature" since about 1955 Smiley I tried whatever permanent markers i could lay my hands on today, and everything immediately succumbed to either or both the above solvents. Not a very fair, or practical critique, I know, but whatever they used "Permanent" is a totally appropriate term!

Thanks, will try a few other suggestions if they are available locally here in the UK. I just get fed up with the cost of the shrink tube cartridges for my Dymo printer, they really are extraordinarily expensive.

I have used normal Dymo tapes doubled on themselves, but on small dense cable layouts it's messy and ugly.

Cheers everyone, have a good weekend.

Best regards, Chris Wilson.
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 03:18:33 AM »

Another option for you,  place a printed label on the wire or cable length wise, and then cover the label with clear heat shrink tubing.

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 09:04:58 AM »

4D:  That sounds like an interesting option but I've never seen "clear" shrink tubing.  Can you suggest where to find it?
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 01:40:54 PM »

4D:  That sounds like an interesting option but I've never seen "clear" shrink tubing.  Can you suggest where to find it?

Below is a link to one of many companies on the net that carry clear PVC shrink tubing, this one sells in bulk, but others have smaller quantities available. I have some in my collection of electrical supplies, that I purchased locally.  A quick Google search yielded many more sources available on-line.

http://www.buyheatshrink.com/heatshrinktubing/ultra-thin-wall-pvc.htm

« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 01:45:50 PM by AB4D » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: