Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monaco, finally!  (Read 3838 times)
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 02:40:59 PM »

Very jealous of those who have worked Monaco and Vatican from the West Coast!!!

Being on the West Coast you have an advantage with working 3A2 via LP, as I did today  Wink  I did check both paths and LP was definitely stronger.  I could barely hear her on SP.

Jonathan W6GX
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 03:27:49 PM »

There is a story about a German Ham who was arrested working portable from 3A a while back, I think it's a tricky place for non locals to operate from,

Trevor
EI2GLB

I hope it wasn't Baldur.  One arrest for operating a ham radio is enough for a lifetime!

Chris/NU1O
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 03:30:41 PM »

Being on the West Coast you have an advantage with working 3A2 via LP, as I did today  Wink  I did check both paths and LP was definitely stronger.  I could barely hear her on SP.

Jonathan W6GX

Yes. Now I just need to retire (I'm 32) so I can be home all day and DX.
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 04:24:30 PM »

Me too. And, I am in Michigan. Smiley
SV1XV

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 09:12:49 PM »

There is a story about a German Ham who was arrested working portable from 3A a while back, I think it's a tricky place for non locals to operate from,

Are you sure it was in Monaco? Perhaps the story is about DJ6SI who was arrested in Greece a few months ago:  The Strange Case of DJ6SI (CQ)
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 09:31:57 PM »

That's a good catch Jonathan.  LP is definitely the way to go for us here in Colorado, as well as for those west of us.

I think one big impediment to working this one is local regulations governing antenna installations.  Monaco, being a city state, regulates antennas much like an exclusive subdivision here in the States.  Getting an effective antenna up, whether for a locals or for a DXpedition, is probably a bureaucratic nightmare.  I think lots of ham visitors use a balcony installed vertical or something similar from a condo or high rise.  Usually these temporary installations leave a lot to be desired for efficiency.

Dr Laura has given lots of us an ATNO.  She's probably the most consistant signal out of 3A.  Good CW op too.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 09:52:15 PM »

I think one big impediment to working this one is local regulations governing antenna installations. 

It's more the case of the gigantic slab o' granite between Monaco and North America than antenna restrictions overall. IIRC, their takeoff angle SP to NA is in the order of 30 degrees!

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 03:53:20 AM »

No problem working 3A2MD on 20 cw and 3A2LF on 30 cw in April and May of 2010.  They were just "there" for a while and almost easy(but for the pileups). I could never hear them well enough prior to that, and dont seem to hear them well enough to work, since then.

73, Gene AF3Y
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 05:02:26 AM »

My one and only Monaco QSO was with 3D2MD. She was very active on 20 meters several years ago to the point there were no pileups. She's not quite as active now but many times she's on 20 cw calling CQ NA LP. Monaco was a bear for me to work. I think it was my last EU country to work.
WS4T

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 06:42:08 AM »

I'm in Europe and I've worked 3A several times, but I still need ZB. I've heard a few ZB stations but have never taken the time to get through. I guess I'm mainly looking for a LotW user from ZB and they are uncommon.

The other one I still need in Europe is (...drum roll...) Mt. Athos. I've heard him a few times in the past but never bothered. Anybody know when he was last on the air?

Gary, ES1WST
SV1XV

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2012, 07:51:44 AM »

I've heard a few ZB stations but have never taken the time to get through. I guess I'm mainly looking for a LotW user from ZB and they are uncommon.

ZB2FX (OP G3RFX) is frequently active from Gibraltar, but he only QSLs via direct. A month ago he was active with special call ZG2FX.

Quote from: WS4T
The other one I still need in Europe is (...drum roll...) Mt. Athos.

Surprise, surprise... This is a really tough one!

« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:00:20 AM by SV1XV » Logged
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2012, 08:02:37 AM »

I'm in Europe and I've worked 3A several times, but I still need ZB. I've heard a few ZB stations but have never taken the time to get through. I guess I'm mainly looking for a LotW user from ZB and they are uncommon.

The other one I still need in Europe is (...drum roll...) Mt. Athos. I've heard him a few times in the past but never bothered. Anybody know when he was last on the air?

Gary, ES1WST

Oops, I forgot about Mt.Athos - 3D2 was my next to last EU country to work.
K0AP

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2012, 08:39:28 AM »

I have two Qso's with 3A and both were long path.

73 Dragan K0AP
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2012, 09:07:03 AM »

Just a reminder on the upcoming dxpedition to Monaco.  I'm very excited to see a dxpedition to this much needed entity from NA.  See you in the pile ups.  GL to all.

http://dx-world.net/2012/3a-on5ur-3a-on8ak-monaco/

Jonathan W6GX
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2012, 09:20:46 AM »

SSB only Sad and no QRO Sad mentioned on their website.  Gonna be a TOUGH catch.

Glad I will only need band/mode fills.

73, Gene AF3Y

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: