About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 24 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTW  (Read 57880 times)
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 11:58:36 AM »

I have a problem with N3FJP's AC Log interfacing with LoTW which nobody in the support forum has been able to solve so I must use the work-around of saving my log, using TQSL to create a T-8 file and then going to the ARRL site to upload my file.

Chris,

Can you expand on the issue you are having...  I had one as well, just like that.  Write me off list, as this is now a support question...  There may be a fix.

Sure, when I try to upload my new contacts using AC Log I get an error which says, "Invalid Procedure Call or Argument". I asked what this meant in the AC Log user's forum and I did not get one reply.  I can still download my confirmations but I can not upload using AC Log so I must create a .TQ8 file and go to the ARRL's site to upload my data.  This computer is about a year old and everything worked fine until one day when I started getting that error message.  I did not change any paths or settings.  I am no computer whiz and do not have a clue what that message means.  I was very surprised when nobody in the forum answered.  Usually, Scott Davis, who wrote the program, is very good at answering questions but even he did not chime in although he makes no attempt to pass himself off as an expert on LoTW.  If this was an AC Log problem I think Scott or some other user would've answered my call for help.

If anybody knows what's causing my problem or if it is a LoTW problem I'd really appreciate the help. 

Chris/NU1O
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 01:00:08 PM »

Sounds like choke to me after they merged CQ WW and WPX awards to LOTW.  I love and use LOTW over eQSL for the awards chasing.  I confirm to LOTW daily and eQSL maybe once per quarter if I'm lucky or if someone emails me to request eQSl confirmation.

I don't use a logger program so input everything using TQSL then upload to LOTW-nothing difficult about that.

73, Delwyn KH6DC

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 01:11:44 PM »

There was talk about ADIF file to Lotw upload and the convoluted process involved.
Yes, it can be a bit complicated for some. Would have been nice if other logging programs had a plugin that did
it direct.

In addition to the Adif->lotw upload, i get the ADIF loaded into DxKeeper at the same time. Dxkeeper will
Sync up with Lotw and will mark QSL's that you have received. It is cool in the sense that it plugs in
to DxView and i can use Dxview to get beam headings, gray line and also see the band fills for
the given callsign. Pretty nifty tool if you need to chase Dxpeds and not make Dupe contacts.

Also make sure you keep the digital certificate safe for Lotw, or else if the computer craps out, you are out of luck.

LOTW is definitely down, since the website says so when one tries to log in.

Krish
w4vku
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 01:29:44 PM »

My original post was not about the complicity or lack of, while using LOTW.   I use a computer logger and have NO problems uploading files, UNLESS the damned system is down from a contest, or whatever, which seems to happen more and more lately.

I am NOT a computer guru, but it seems to me that if the LOTW system needs upgrading, tweaking, or enlarging, or whatever to make it handle the loads, then ARRL should do that. I suppose its a $$ thing? Well, Hell, they are charging us, right Huh? Not enough money? Not enough people?  I dont know, I just know if you need more resources of whatever kind to make your system work, that is what you need to do.

This is not a first time problem.  Happens OFTEN....... Not very impressive, IMHO.  As someone said, if the amount of hams on LOTW now are shutting it down, heaven forbid an increase in users.  I Like LOTW, I just dont like the down time, which should be fixed by ARRL, sooner rather than later if they want more users..

73, Gene AF3Y

AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 01:38:34 PM »

It's my fault that LOTW is down.  I uploaded about 500 Q's from the contest plus my contacts for last 3 weeks.  I also use the HRD LOTW upload feature which might contribute to the LOTW problem but the uploading process is as smooth as silk thanks to HRD.
Randy
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 02:03:25 PM »

It's my fault that LOTW is down.  I uploaded about 500 Q's from the contest plus my contacts for last 3 weeks.  I also use the HRD LOTW upload feature which might contribute to the LOTW problem but the uploading process is as smooth as silk thanks to HRD.
Randy

YEP.... I thought it might have been you. STOP THAT!!! hi

73, Gene AF3Y
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 02:57:53 PM »

"DX World.net has learned that up to “45% of [recently] uploaded logs and delivered awards / DXCC certificates have been lost due to corrupted database / backups”.

It’s currently unknown if the “missing” data can be retrieved. An official update from LoTW developers would, of course, be beneficial – least not to put minds at rest.

As can be seen from the latest message on the ARRL LoTW homepage, the Logbook team is currently investigating the issue."

Wonderful, just wonderful Tongue If this turns out to be true then it seems to me the LOTW team needs to completely revamp their DB Server/backup system so this doesn't happen in the future. There have been too many problems with system slowdowns, lost LOTW uploads, etc. If they expect the user community to use LOTW then it needs to be reliable, period.

John K7KB
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 03:22:06 PM by K7KB » Logged
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 04:40:18 PM »

I have a problem with N3FJP's AC Log interfacing with LoTW which nobody in the support forum has been able to solve so I must use the work-around of saving my log, using TQSL to create a T-8 file and then going to the ARRL site to upload my file.

Chris,

Can you expand on the issue you are having...  I had one as well, just like that.  Write me off list, as this is now a support question...  There may be a fix.

Sure, when I try to upload my new contacts using AC Log I get an error which says, "Invalid Procedure Call or Argument".

"Invalid Procedure Call or Argument" is without question a defect in AC Log.

Dave, AA6YQ
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 05:25:26 PM »

"Invalid Procedure Call or Argument" is without question a defect in AC Log.

Dave, AA6YQ

Thanks, Dave.  I'll send Scott a private email and ask him what's going on.  There is a lot of volume in the help forum and Scott does not always catch them all.  If he can't help me I can always switch to your program.

What I find odd is when I asked the question in the forum - about 5 months ago - not one person said they were having the same problem.

Chris/NU1O
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 06:41:11 PM »

I Like LOTW, I just dont like the down time, which should be fixed by ARRL, sooner rather than later if they want more users..

Even if it takes two weeks to confirm your contacts instead of 12 hours, who cares? The system is "crashing" due to too many logs being submitted, that is a GOOD thing! And I bet the reason they don't "upgrade" is that upgrading will cost MONEY, which would mean ARRL would have to raise money by increasing member dues.

Hams are cheap; we can either tolerate a slow "server" (or whatever it is) OR we pony-up and chip-in to get new ones. I think we all know what the choice will be.

paul
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2012, 07:16:36 PM »

I think that when this incident is resolved, somebody on the Logbook team is going to be a whole lot more knowledgeable.

I don't envy them.
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2012, 07:22:25 PM »

Didn't exactly the same thing happen last year after either CQWW or ARRL DX with day long delays and lost logs? I know I had to re-send MY .tq8 file that was lost back then.

I doubt any head will roll and I doubt they will learn anything.

paul
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2012, 08:03:03 PM »

John, W7KH is at the top of the list for ARRL Mixed DXCC with 398 confirmed.

What makes this especially noteworthy is that he doesn't have a computer in his shack.  Still uses
paper logs only.  He doesn't use the DX spotting clusters, (doesn't use LOTW   Cheesy)

Bob
K6UJ

KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2012, 11:00:08 PM »

My original post was not about the complicity or lack of, while using LOTW.   I use a computer logger and have NO problems uploading files, UNLESS the damned system is down from a contest, or whatever, which seems to happen more and more lately.

I am NOT a computer guru, but it seems to me that if the LOTW system needs upgrading, tweaking, or enlarging, or whatever to make it handle the loads, then ARRL should do that. I suppose its a $$ thing? Well, Hell, they are charging us, right Huh? Not enough money? Not enough people?  I dont know, I just know if you need more resources of whatever kind to make your system work, that is what you need to do.

This is not a first time problem.  Happens OFTEN....... Not very impressive, IMHO.  As someone said, if the amount of hams on LOTW now are shutting it down, heaven forbid an increase in users.  I Like LOTW, I just dont like the down time, which should be fixed by ARRL, sooner rather than later if they want more users..

73, Gene AF3Y

I agree Gene, LOTW seems a bit archaeic compared to some of the databases out there.

73, Delwyn, KH6DC

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
SV1XV

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2012, 02:36:15 AM »

I does not seem archaic, it seems dead.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 24 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: