About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 24 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTW  (Read 58020 times)
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2012, 10:22:24 AM »

Given that each new single log submission requires cross-checking that entry with every other entry in the system (right?) --
Why? Isn't the QSO database indexed at least by callsign?

Embarrassed ok, i stand corrected ...

The site is now saying the system is 48 hours behind and has a large queue to process...  sorry if this info is somewhere i've missed, but is there any info on upgrades that have taken place in the past and will take place in the future and how well they will speed up the processing power and capacity of the system?
V47JA

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2012, 04:30:16 PM »

Hi,

I Uploaded about 6000 Q's to LoTW today. Anybody have any idea as to the current processing time for LoTW?

73 and DX,

John  V47JA  -  W5JON
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2012, 04:46:27 PM »

Nov 15, 2012: LoTW Log Processing is About 4 Days Behind -- The system is processing log data a little slower than usual, but is working.  There is a very large number of logs in the queue -- thanks for your patience and for using LoTW, and we will continue to work to streamline the system.

From the LoTW page
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2012, 06:12:49 AM »

LoTW Log Processing is About 4 Days Behind

I don't believe their estimates anymore; they are always obsolete and optimistic.  I'm still waiting for my 80m QSO with PT0S to show up in my QSO's list, let alone QSL's.  I uploaded that QSO early Sunday morning, so it's been over five days now.   

The PT0S team has uploaded some QSO's several days ago, but when you search for PT0S, the LoTW website returns "No log data." 

I've been a fan of LOTW since its inception.  However, LoTW has rapidly deteriorated from a fine running machine to a sputtering, stalling jalopy.  It needs to be fixed very soon.

Chuck  NI0C
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2012, 07:17:17 AM »

thanks for your patience and for using LoTW, and we will continue to work to streamline the system.

I would be interested to hear more details on what is meant by this statement, and what steps are planned. As others have mentioned, an article in a future QST regarding LoTW implemented and planned changes would go a long ways toward recovering any lost confidence in LoTW.
N1AM

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2012, 11:12:01 AM »

This is certainly turning into a real embarassment for the League. Now processing is 4 days behind and Sweepstakes SSB is on this weekend.  I agree that an in depth explanation should appear in QST however, in addition, the League should immediately post an extensive explanation on their web site regarding what is really going on with LOTW.  Hey ARRL please hire a full time
DB Manager.
John N1AM 
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2012, 01:19:27 PM »

This is certainly turning into a real embarassment for the League. Now processing is 4 days behind and Sweepstakes SSB is on this weekend.  I agree that an in depth explanation should appear in QST however, in addition, the League should immediately post an extensive explanation on their web site regarding what is really going on with LOTW.  Hey ARRL please hire a full time
DB Manager.
John N1AM 

I don't know if the league has enough money to pay for one. I think that is a big holdback. Maybe if they started charging a monthly fee for LoTW it would be better. I would chip in a few bucks if they did that. But I can see how it would discourage some people who already have a gripe about the system. So I think what you're seeing here is you get what you pay for.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2012, 02:24:07 PM »

I don't know if the league has enough money to pay for one. I think that is a big holdback.
Maybe if they stopped funneling a huge percentage of their resources into the Hamsexy/Shack-on-a-belt  Emcomm crowd they'd have a little something left in the kitty for a program that adds to their international stature. They've built the DXCC program up to be the pinnacle of lifetime achievement DXing, yet they keep treating it like the red-headed stepchild of ham radio.

Maybe if they started charging a monthly fee for LoTW it would be better. I would chip in a few bucks if they did that. But I can see how it would discourage some people who already have a gripe about the system. So I think what you're seeing here is you get what you pay for.
If they did that you'd see participation fall like Wile E. Coyote off a cliff. Especially internationally, which is the avenue where it needs the most promotion. LoTW currently has just north of 50,000 contributors and 455M individual QSO records. Is that a big enough database to warrant a full-time DBA? Especially given that it really only bogs down severely between the end of October and the end of November and again after the spring contests. Beyond that it's just the odd upload throughout the day.

Still, it does need more resources than it's receiving at the moment. IMO, what it really needs is a ground-up rebuild. Let the shack-on-a-belters go elsewhere and funnel some cash to one part of the hobby that's got a proven track record of being extremely active, will be around for more than a year or two and has money to spend.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2012, 03:55:02 PM »

LOTW was a solid system 3-4 years ago but I agree, it's being overwhelmed and wasn't built to withstand the demand it currently undergoes. Having had to manage SQL databases on limited budgets, it's doable but very hard to make them scalable. As long as you have limited demand and routine usage it's not a big deal to do something like that on the cheap. But once your system grows like LOTW has it takes more horsepower on both the front and back ends to keep everything running smoothly.

So I can empathize with whoever is running the technical side of things, as they obviously only have so many resources to keep the system going. They are probably doing as good of a job they can with what has been provided to them. I'd be great if the league would agree to rebuild the system on one of the cloud-based providers so that extra resources can be given to it based on demand, but that costs $$$$. While they did that, they could also look into overhauling the current technical aspects of the "paper" DXCC system so that it integrates more seamlessly with LOTW. Might as well make it part of the same project.

IMO the League did a great thing with LOTW, but they need to keep following through to make sure it stays the defacto logging/award system for DXers, full-time paper chasers and casual operators alike. It would be a shame if it became a victim of it's own success.

ex W4HFK
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2012, 05:55:05 PM »

I hear talk about hardware upgrades. That's all well and good but there's so much that can be done with software. I deal with terabytes of data all the time. Have been for the better part of 10 years, from state Government to large financial companies, and now with high traffic websites and CMS systems... you'd be surprised what I do with little hardware.
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2012, 11:07:28 PM »

LoTW definitely working and I'm now seeing more and more confirmations come in.  Latest confirmations are still ~6 days ago, but this is progress.  They'll probably get down to a 1 or 2 day delay before another 2.5 million (guestimation) QSOs hit from the ARRL SS.  73, Rich, K3VAT
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2012, 09:36:21 AM »

Maybe this has been covered before but I don't feel like looking around for it.  A while back I read somewhere that LOTW has 50,000 users +/- but does anyone really know how many users there are currently with LOTW?  And if so, how many?
Randy
SV1XV

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2012, 12:39:01 PM »

Have a look in the site of HB9BZA:  http://www.hb9bza.net/lotw-users-list

AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2012, 01:03:31 AM »

Thanks Costas for the info.  I guess I'm trying to figure out why eQSL has so many unique users (203,566) but yet has a lot fewer interruptions in service.  I know they're 2 completely different services but still have a common goal, providing QSL to amateurs.  When looking at LOTW, what comes to mind is the computer I used when going to college.  In order to boot it up, you had to use a 5 1/4" floppy disk and it had no hard drive.  Something is wrong with the current system used at LOTW.  ARRL, quit being so cheap and update/upgrade the system or whatever else needs to be done!!!
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2012, 08:11:13 AM »

So there are 58,093 calls in 339 current DXCC entities.  I don't think I need to tell anybody the only entity/person (he's is really both a DXCC entity and individual user) who is not using LoTW is Apollo on Mt. Athos.

Chris/NU1O

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 24 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: