Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 24 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTW  (Read 60270 times)
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2012, 10:39:43 AM »

Hi Chris,

The WX nets may be putting into practice a training process...  In MARS, we run traffic, which is in essence traffic about how much traffic we have run...  i.e. a report on the number and type of messages which are sent and on which nets.  This is done to promote training in the procedures which may someday be needed.  A good number of folks will run this traffic, they are net control stations, so they report net status almost daily.  That traffic, gives them a practice on running traffic.  At least that is all I can think of...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2012, 08:10:29 PM »

I run a weather station at home. A Davis Vantage PRO-2. It's calibrated against the precision instruments at KCDW, less than two miles away. I upload my data to Weather Underground ever 2.75 seconds and it in turn is broadcast everywhere. I also send every 5 minutes to the FINDU system. Most serious weathergeeks do the same and the NWS automatically gathers and verifies the (relative) accuracy of the data.

About all I can think of is that the data sent over weather nets could be of use within a storm's circulation when it knocks out power to the region. For example, during and after Sandy the official weather station at KCDW was down for over a week, as was Fairfield OEM's private station. I was one of the very few in western Essex County able to generate accurate reports of temperature, humidity, pressure, precipitation and wind direction (and to a lesser degree wind speed, which is hampered by trees).

I also upload official precipitation reports to a volunteer network called CoCoRAHS, which collects NWS-level accurate reports from around the country.

If you're curious, my WX station data is http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KNJWESTC2 and my precipitation reports can be found at http://data.cocorahs.org/cocorahs/maps/?country=USA&state=NJ&lat=40.879633&lon=-74.227041&date=.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: November 21, 2012, 05:27:32 AM »

Back to LoTW processing times, for anyone interested.  Based on a couple of recent QSO's in my log, the processing time is roughly 107 hours, about four and a half days. 

Chuck  NI0C
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2012, 05:44:48 AM »

Back to LoTW processing times, for anyone interested.  Based on a couple of recent QSO's in my log, the processing time is roughly 107 hours, about four and a half days. 

Very odd. I'm still not getting anything after CQWW, and I know I've uploaded at least three valid .TQ8 files since.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: November 21, 2012, 05:47:05 AM »

Very odd. I'm still not getting anything after CQWW, and I know I've uploaded at least three valid .TQ8 files since.

I have had a single confirm in the past week, got it last night...  I uploaded maybe 20 new contacts 4 days ago, and no validation that they have been accepted yet...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: November 21, 2012, 06:07:24 AM »

The LoTW 'Find Call' tool shows: Last upload for K9AIM: 2012-11-19 00:37:10Z

That seems odd given that the LoTW site has a post on 11/19/2012 that suggests the system is 6 days behind and given that uploads by me from before 2012-11-19 at 00:37:10Z do not seem to have been processed yet ...   Huh
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: November 21, 2012, 06:31:08 AM »

The LoTW 'Find Call' tool shows: Last upload for K9AIM: 2012-11-19 00:37:10Z

That seems odd given that the LoTW site has a post on 11/19/2012 that suggests the system is 6 days behind and given that uploads by me from before 2012-11-19 at 00:37:10Z do not seem to have been processed yet ...   Huh

I think their use of language dates back to when a 4 hour delay in processing was news.

I show "Last upload for AB8MA: 2012-11-19 21:27:24Z". This isn't an actual upload, but rather the date the file I uploaded  ‎November ‎14, ‎2012, ‏‎20:50:54Z was finally processed.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: November 21, 2012, 07:20:40 AM »

My last upload date shows as 10-25, but I have uploaded a couple small files since then. Does this mean, they never got the files.  When I uploaded them, it said they were accepted.

Either way, LOTW kinda sucks. They either need to fix/upgrade it, or just discontinue it Huh

Why am I getting the feeling that they dont give a damn? They must have some kind of plan in mind
to overhaul or at least tweak the thing.

73, Gene AF3Y
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: November 21, 2012, 08:42:53 AM »

Gene, you might want to get any uploads done before this weekends CQ WW CW contest.
Randy
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: November 21, 2012, 08:44:02 AM »

Why am I getting the feeling that they dont give a damn? They must have some kind of plan in mind
to overhaul or at least tweak the thing.

73, Gene AF3Y

So far it seems they are dealing with the bottlenecks by kicking the can farther down the road a little.  And, they are not communicating the details of the problem(s) nor the proposed solution and timeline.  That pattern can lead one to believe they don't give a damn...

And that leads me to wonder about who originally came up with the LoTW system and whether they are not as frustrated as anyone?  What was once shiny and had a wow factor now has started limping along. 

LoTW has saved me hundreds of dollars I don't have for QSLing and thus allowed me to attain DXCC and also helps me enthusiastically continue to fish for DX on a daily basis.  So while I do appreciate it, I would love to see the ARRL make it state of the art...
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: November 21, 2012, 09:27:57 AM »

I upload just about everyday that I am on the rig and today's LoTW confirmations are for QSOs on November 12th. We will have a real mess if the backlog from Sweepstakes is not cleared out by the time the uploads for CQWW start coming in.

I believe I read LoTW generated $900,000 in revenue and the claim was made they are not charging market rates. I have invested in small local banks for years and that sounds like more than some spend on data processing. I'm talking about banks with $500 million to a $1 Billion in assets.

I can't recall when and where I got that $900K number from but it had to be somewhere on the ARRL's site.

Chris/NU1O
ND4X

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: November 21, 2012, 11:01:09 AM »

Can anyone explain how uploads from some stations (PT0S for instance), show upload times of today - while normal users have multiple uploads that are not showing up yet from days ago?

Paul - ND4X
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: November 21, 2012, 11:05:04 AM »

Gene, you might want to get any uploads done before this weekends CQ WW CW contest.
Randy

Thanks..... I am uploaded thru last nite as of this morning.  73, Gene AF3Y
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: November 21, 2012, 11:30:46 AM »

Can anyone explain how uploads from some stations (PT0S for instance), show upload times of today - while normal users have multiple uploads that are not showing up yet from days ago?

Paul - ND4X

I do not think LoTW knows when a file is actually uploaded. The "upload times of today" was actually the timestamp for the last time a file was Processed, not Uploaded.

again,

I show "Last upload for AB8MA: 2012-11-19 21:27:24Z". This isn't an actual upload, but rather the date the file I uploaded  ‎November ‎14, ‎2012, ‏‎20:50:54Z was finally processed.
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: November 22, 2012, 03:46:07 AM »

Just received from the LoTW several confirmations - the latest one confirmed occurred ~100 hours ago (I upload once or twice a day depending on the number of QSOs that I make).

Re: PT0S - I've received confirmation (2 so far) for my later QSOs - in other words, my earliest QSO isn't yet confirmed by LoTW (but it is listed on the PT0S site).

So who knows exactly the mechanism of why certain stations' QSOs appear before others when it is supposed to be a FIFO (first in, first out) [rhetoric question].

GL 73, Rich, K3VAT
Pages: Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 24 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: