About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 24 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTW  (Read 57905 times)
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: November 22, 2012, 03:59:43 AM »

Just received from the LoTW several confirmations - the latest one confirmed occurred ~100 hours ago (I upload once or twice a day depending on the number of QSOs that I make).

Re: PT0S - I've received confirmation (2 so far) for my later QSOs - in other words, my earliest QSO isn't yet confirmed by LoTW (but it is listed on the PT0S site).

So who knows exactly the mechanism of why certain stations' QSOs appear before others when it is supposed to be a FIFO (first in, first out) [rhetoric question].

GL 73, Rich, K3VAT

Thank you for posting that... I am waiting for a contact with them to show on both LoTW and on their web site...  What you are saying leads me to believe they are uploading in parts, and not in the monotone increasing time intervals...  I have hope again!!

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: November 22, 2012, 04:13:00 AM »

Very good Dave,

So you might want to revise your QRZ.COM page and perhaps change that wording "instant QSLs" hi hi. Grin

GL, 73, Rich, K3VAT
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: November 22, 2012, 04:24:32 AM »

Very good Dave,

So you might want to revise your QRZ.COM page and perhaps change that wording "instant QSLs" hi hi. Grin

GL, 73, Rich, K3VAT

That was put in when I could upload, and wait a few moments, then get a confirm back, not days, or weeks like now...  It has been changed...  Thanks for catching that.  I also added eQSL to the list.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 04:27:22 AM by NK7Z » Logged

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: November 22, 2012, 04:45:31 AM »

About all I can think of is that the data sent over weather nets could be of use within a storm's circulation when it knocks out power to the region.
That's a good point, but trained weather observers can also provide something that radar and automated weather stations can't: Actual human observation to see if that hook on the radar image is actually a tornado, size of hail, damage reports, and readings from non-automated weather stations that happen to be in a particularly interesting part of the storm (like the eye for example).

I'm not saying shut down ARES (does ARES even need the League to function?).
Yes, even though it uses a bottom-up approach, they need the local coordination and sometimes they also need help from neighboring sections or HQ, whether that be coordination of mutual aid, resources, or legal and regulatory issues.

They pay lip service to serious DXers and contesters at best.
We shouldn't fall into the trap of thinking that our niche of amateur radio should be the only one. If there's a big cover story about DXing, do the ARDF enthusiasts grumble about that? If an SSB contest is featured, will PSK fanatics be cutting their keyboard cables in protest?

It's not like the ARRL stays on the same topic all the time either: They used to have a campaign about digital communications, then it was "when all else fails" (emcomm), and now it's "The DIY magic of amateur radio" (hacking and buidling stuff). Maybe the next promotion could appeal to radio orienteering or international friendships? The general public, politicians and media are understandably more responsive to information about emcomm than many other niches though, so don't expect that to go away.

Trust me, if there were any component of LoTW that had to do with giving PR to emcomm, the League would be on it like white on rice and they'd have their platinum-plated quadruply-redundant bulletproof system in place.
Of course they should, but no component of LotW should be part of emcomm anyway. If the system was something like the Red Cross "Safe and Well" system or another system handling emergency and disaster welfare communications, it would be especially important that it stayed up in an emergency.

LotW is not critical infrastructure, nor was it meant to be. It's just a neat way to confirm a QSO for awards. And I've got QSLs ticking in here. Faster and cheaper than paper (though I like paper too).
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: November 22, 2012, 06:11:37 AM »

In the past 10 hours 21 minutes on LoTW,

53,559 QSO records have been entered into the system.
906 User files have been processed.

In the last 10 minutes, there has been no activity.

I think what this means to me is that I'd best quit looking. Smiley

W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: November 22, 2012, 06:12:28 AM »

For the most part, however, amateur radio itself isn't part of the critical infrastructure, outside of tornado alley and other sparsely-populated regions. There are a great many emergency organizations that have little to no use for hams, especially in urban areas. I don't have a problem with local groups coordinating with local agencies and providing service if requested by said agencies. I have a problem with the disproportionate share of the pie that emcomm gets today. Read QST today, then look through the archives and see what it was like 15, 25, 30, 40, 50 years ago or more. It was more of an advanced technical hobby back then, and required a certain dedication and intelligence level to get in the door. The League was focused on what I consider should be the core competencies of the hobby -- sound fundamental electronics knowledge, good HF operating practice, design, construction and component-level repair of gear and so on.

Now it's the opposite. Populist "Oh, anybody can do it" touchy-feely nonsense that caters to non-technical hams (a contradiction of terms if ever there was one), glorifies emcomm, field day and selling books/merchandise. I'm not saying DX/contesting should be their focus. I'm saying the League is focusing on the segment of the hobby who may not be quite so serious in the hobby. I have to wonder, how many shack-on-a-belters are still heavily active after the first couple of years, and what is their participation level in the hobby beyond chatting on the local repeater coming home from work every day.

To my way of thinking, DX and contesting themselves shouldn't be the focus of the League, but rather reaching out and bending over backwards to cater to those with serious stations or who wish to someday have them. LoTW is one such way. It provides a great service to a higher calibre of hams.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: November 22, 2012, 09:56:29 AM »

To my way of thinking

Exactly.

N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: November 22, 2012, 12:49:44 PM »

To my way of thinking, DX and contesting themselves shouldn't be the focus of the League, but rather reaching out and bending over backwards to cater to those with serious stations or who wish to someday have them. LoTW is one such way. It provides a great service to a higher calibre of hams.

If the league were to adopt this strategy, its membership would quickly drop to zero, or close to it.

The league by its nature needs to be a "big tent." It needs to cater to everyone, both the beginner and the veteran. It needs to cater to everyone, from the guys on 2m repeaters to worked 'em all on every band, mode and power level.

As for LoTW, it provides a service to everyone it seems. DXCC for me was partially LoTW credits, and it was great not to have to go and send cash through the mail to get a QSL card to confirm that I worked a common entity like Germany or Italy. It also helps contesters (and others) who view QSLing as a chore. Honestly if it were just the elites in LoTW, it would fall flat on its face.

Now all of this said, there's really not much of a reason to leave the system let it languish. The CQWW organizers used cloud computing to process all of the logs for CQWW in 45 minutes. This includes, I believe, more matching of QSOs than there would be with LoTW.

The digital edition of QST is also pretty much done "halfway" versus CQ magazine who has an excellent digital product. I am not strictly talking about features, but stability. With CQ I can view the magazine on the web or my iPad with little trouble. This probably boils down to cost, given that the league has to do more with the dues money than just the magazine.

It's not even these recent things. The website redesign crashed for days and they even had to roll back.

I don't really know what's up with ARRL but I think technology wise they need to do things differently.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: November 23, 2012, 07:12:58 AM »

I'm not so sure it would kill membership. You can be "big tent" without the complete dumbing down that they embarked on when emcomm became their BigDeal. Take a look at a QST from the 60s or 70s or 80s and the calibre of material and its presentation were aimed at a different "level" of ham than it is currently. At least the few I perused last week when this first came up.

I'm not saying become an engineering journal, but certainly higher than it is now. But therein lies the problem. They need to keep growing revenues, and J. Random Ham has become less savvy than those of a generation ago. I don't know the answer--hell, I wish I did--but I'm convinced that when they sold their soul to emcomm, everything changed.

Now with all that said, I do strongly support the League in their mission of lobbying and representing our interests before the ITU, etc. They do good work there. As to QST, reduce my subscription rate and let me have just the digital version of QST. I have ZERO interest in dead-tree magazines. I'd like my dues to be uses less for layout and production of a glossy magazine than into the core issues that need our help.

They absolutely need to ditch their IT personnel, I suspect. I think they need not just new tech, but new ideas and a new way of looking at their problems. They need to realize that they're just putting band-aids on an arterial gash.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
WF2S

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: November 23, 2012, 07:35:35 AM »

I fully agree with K2QB. I have 40+ years of dxing and started in high school. QSLing has become expensive for dxers all over the world. The League came up with LoTW, and despite the occasional slowdown, I prefer it to spending $3 o rmore for a paper card that has to be mailed to ARRL for credit. If anyone feels that the LoTW program is so poor and lacking, fine, use an alternative !
Many  have had confusion setting up their account but staff, paid for by ARRL members, are available as well as a Power Point presentation to walk you through.
I was a complainer until I went into management, then I learned to not complain until I was prepared to offer a solution to the problem. Yes, it is not perfect, but I could not do better.

Wink
SV1XV

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: November 23, 2012, 07:47:08 AM »

Take a look at a QST from the 60s or 70s or 80s and the calibre of material and its presentation were aimed at a different "level" of ham than it is currently...  I'm not saying become an engineering journal, but certainly higher than it is now.
Back then some articles from QST and The Radio Amateurs Handbook were used as reading material in colleges. Some really good QST articles of the period got citations (were listed as references) in scientific papers and symposia presentations.

W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: November 23, 2012, 10:31:48 PM »

Take a look at a QST from the 60s or 70s or 80s and the calibre of material and its presentation were aimed at a different "level" of ham than it is currently...  I'm not saying become an engineering journal, but certainly higher than it is now.
Back then some articles from QST and The Radio Amateurs Handbook were used as reading material in colleges. Some really good QST articles of the period got citations (were listed as references) in scientific papers and symposia presentations.

Exactly. Some of the material they're presenting today are, I swear, aimed at those who ride the short school bus and wear helmets walking to the playground. "This is how you cut a dipole. This is how to solder."  Lips sealed

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: November 24, 2012, 06:03:47 AM »

I wonder if there is a way to query LoTW to see what the queue size is.
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: November 24, 2012, 06:30:32 AM »

Exactly. Some of the material they're presenting today are, I swear, aimed at those who ride the short school bus and wear helmets walking to the playground. "This is how you cut a dipole. This is how to solder." 

If you get on 2m these days most of them don't even know how to do that...land of the might J-pole...hi hi .

The conversations go something like this...how are you doing...I am doing OK...how are you doing?...I am doing OK....and then they talk about food !!

Mark N1UK
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: November 24, 2012, 06:41:18 AM »

Exactly. Some of the material they're presenting today are, I swear, aimed at those who ride the short school bus and wear helmets walking to the playground. "This is how you cut a dipole. This is how to solder." 

If you get on 2m these days most of them don't even know how to do that...land of the might J-pole...hi hi .

The conversations go something like this...how are you doing...I am doing OK...how are you doing?...I am doing OK....and then they talk about food !!

Mark N1UK

At least they knew how to work SPLIT!! Smiley
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 24 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: