Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any DX-ers Out There Have a KPA-500?  (Read 3687 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2012, 09:10:41 PM »

Best of luck with the new amp Rich, hope to work you some day,

Trevor
EI2GLB
Yes - a QSO would be great!
Rich
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2012, 11:22:39 PM »

Good luck with the amp.  Let us know your initial impression.  I'm sure you'll be using it for ZL9HR!

Jonathan W6GX
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2012, 04:00:23 AM »

Good luck with the amp.  Let us know your initial impression.  I'm sure you'll be using it for ZL9HR!

Jonathan W6GX

Its fantastic - I love it. This K-Line is the best I've ever had. The P3 and new ATU would be icing on the cake - maybe next year  Grin
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2012, 09:15:59 AM »

Its fantastic - I love it. This K-Line is the best I've ever had. The P3 and new ATU would be icing on the cake - maybe next year  Grin

I had a Palstar HF-Auto and I had problems from the get-go.  I was one of the first to purchase it and I wound up as a beta-tester while they worked out the bugs. I like Palstar's products and I'm sure Paul has worked out all the bugs but I prefer the Palstar AT5K manual tuner.  I have all my settings written down and the most time it takes me to tune up is about 30 seconds.  A manual Transmatch is really just 3 parts (2 variable Caps and a roller inductor) when you eliminate the meter circuit.  

The HF-Auto started out as (I think) a 2 kW tuner with a 10 to 1 matching range and the maximum power and matching range have been reduced - twice I think.  I can throw everything the Alpha can generate at the AT5K and it can handle it.  I don't think you can do that with any automatic transmatch currently on the market.

Rich, you are not running legal limit so this does not apply to you but for those who are running the limit I think they will be hard pressed to beat the Palstar AT5K.

Chris/NU1O

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 09:25:21 AM by NU1O » Logged
AE6Y

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2012, 12:55:39 PM »

I've had mine for a quite a while (its serial number is in two digits), and it puts out 500-650 watts off 120v with no problems, virtually no noise, and instant on and instant band change.  Although I have a K3, I don't have them hooked together for the amp to follow band changes, as there is just no need -- the amp changes bands with the first dot on CW or first sound on phone.  The protection seems foolproof, as I have overdriven it on occasion.  For mild overdrive it automatically switches in an attenuator, and for major overdrive, it just faults and goes into Standby.  I don't use ALC with it.
I also have an 87A, which I occasionally use when the extra wattage seems needed, but for normal operation and light contesting, the KPA 500 is just great. I highly recommend it.
 73, Andy ae6y
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: