Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mars mod for FT-60 ?  (Read 11179 times)
SWMAN

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2012, 09:41:24 AM »

I just was a bit curious again maybe for future reference. Has anyone done the MARS mod for the Yaesu FT-60 talkie? I have read about doing it on mods.dk but never attempted it. It looks a bit complicated to get to the board for the resistor removal. But maybe not really that tough of a job. I would really like a few comments on this if possible. I just thought of doing the mod but for no real reason. I knoe that it opens up the receive also. Hope you dont mind me asking, sometimes these Mod questions can be a little touchy here on eham.  Thanks and 73, Jim  W5JJG
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 12:05:59 PM »

Are you a registered MARS member?  Which one?
What frequencies do they use in your state for that FT-60 ?
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 12:11:45 PM »

Since this radio covers 108 - 137 MHz (Air Band), 137 - 520 MHz (AM/FM) and 700 - 999 MHz (FM), what frequency range are you looking to receive?
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 12:29:52 PM »

Since it already  receives  amost every where  and   you can not, in  reality ,, ever use it to transmit outside of the ham bands,,  why mess it up..

SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 12:53:22 PM »

No, I am not a Mars member, I was just curious as I stated in my question if anyone who ever did the mod thought that it was easy or difficult to do. I like to tinker with things but I may not ever even do it. Just asking thats all. 73  Jim  W5JJG
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 06:32:51 AM »

I don't think there are may  hams that consider removing a resistor''tinkering'

Building  an  SWR meter or a field strength meter, or maybe just a simple  'on th air'
light, tied with a relay  to your transitter,,,
Thats  tinkering......

SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 09:11:16 AM »

KLI,  Just like I said 2 times here so far !!!   JUST CURIOUS !!!  Thats all  !!
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 05:30:34 AM »

Jim -

This was a very common question in 1990s (before 9/11 attacks) on Internet Forums by the CB/Freeband and Pirate Operator community asking how to modify various commercial and amateur radios for MARS/CAP usage.

MARS usage was never their intention, it was to trespass on other frequencies allocated to military, government, and fixed operators for their personal usage.
MARS and CAP eliminated many radios used for amateur radio operations in their MARS/CAP operations.  They published a list in late 1990s.

Whether some of these individuals were involved in domestic terrorism or the illegal drug trafficking in the US, we will likely never know.
--
Since 9/11, these questions will produce queries of real intentions, in other words: WHY?

An individual in Chicago area used his CURIOSITY (opened up a commercial radio) to disrupt CTA commuter operations in Chicago area (thousands travel each day).  Last I heard, Homeland Security has changed his life.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 05:47:19 AM by W9GB » Logged
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 04:36:31 AM »

Thanks for all of the input here. The strange thing is that it is all explained step by step at several places on the internet.A terriost would not even ask here on eham. Actually I already knew how to do the mod months ago, I just wanted to know if it was easy or not. Mainly taking the HT apart and putting it back together again. 73 Jim. W5JJG
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 09:17:22 AM »

In that case   why ask  here.
Just get out your  tiny phillips screwdriver set  and a
cake pan  plastic lid to  work in and take it apart...
the plastic lid  keeps the tiny screws from getting lost.

thats what tinkering is about..    dont ask-----just   do-it...

N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 10:28:37 AM »

To answer your question , it is VERY easy and works afterwards. You can download the info from www.mods.dk or google it because it is all over the place...
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 11:04:24 AM »

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the info and for being honest and right to the point. That was all that I was asking, easy or hard to do. Thanks and 73 Jim W5JJG
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 08:21:38 AM »

If somene tells you its easy   or   hard   its just their opinion with 
'their expertise'  ,   It would have been easy  for me, but I have been  building stuff for
nigh onto 50 years.

So you are back to ,, how good are you at   this..
The only way to know if its easy  or hard  is to    do it...
Asking some one else  , is to get  basic  useless information, as its only an opinion..

Which , this may also be ,,, usless information..

N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 08:59:01 AM »

"If somene tells you its easy   or   hard   its just their opinion with 
'their expertise'  ,   It would have been easy  for me, but I have been  building stuff for
nigh onto 50 years"

Well , I have not been doing them for 50 years as you , 30 for me....if an Amateur Radio Operater can't do a simple 3 step procedure , its hard for me to believe he is a ham..

These MARS/CAP mods can be done in the dark as most are so easy IF you follow the simplistic step by step procedures posted worldwide...

All you need to do is "Google it"
MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 09:06:13 PM »

Jim, sometimes it is very hard to get a straight answer to a simple question here on eHam (without the Spanish inquisition that is, or a lecture).

I've done this mod to the FT-60 and found it to be quite simple. If and when the time comes, have at it.

-Chuck
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: