Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flexible rubber coating sealant  (Read 2034 times)
K2OWK

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2012, 03:46:09 PM »

Just some useful information. A product called "Mighty Sealer" (seen on TV) is excellent for sealing antenna connectors. It sprays on, dries to a rubber coating in 15 minutes and after drying the connector can be removed if necessary buy turning. The rubber peals away when cured. I purchased a can in my local Big Lots for $8.50 and should last a lifetime when used for sealing antenna connectors and waterproofing exposed wire connections.

Another excellent product for this is Plastic Rubber used to cushion tool grips. It dries to a soft plastic coating and also allows the removal of the connector. It is available at most hardware stores, but has to be brushed or pored on, as it is not available as a spray. It is available in a verity of colors for coding if necessary. The spray rubber is only available in black.

Hope this helps someone. Sure is better then trying to wind electrical tape on a connection and having it come loose high in the air.

73s

K2OWK
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »

I have been VERY pleased with the "Raincoat Tape" sold by High Sierra Online--take a look at their website for details.  The stuff is easy to use, seals superbly, and is re-usable to some extent (you can use it a few times if you're careful.)  It is GREAT stuff.  Seals water-tight with very little fuss, comes off fairly easily, and it's pretty inexpensive if you buy it when High Sierra has it on sale ($5/roll vs $10/roll for "rescue tape" at my local hardware store.)  It works for antenna and power connections, antenna elements, and it's also handy for labeling cables--put on a bit of the yellow and mark it with a sharpie. :-) 
N8CMQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 06:20:53 PM »

Remember, anything that keeps water out, can keep water in as well.
Watch for drain or weep holes that allow water to exit don't get plugged,
or you may end up with split tubing and corrosion.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 09:22:50 PM »

Hello again. The reason I recommend the liquid or spray rubber is that my connectors are located where putting any kind of tape around the connector is very difficult. If there is easy access to the connector the Raincoat Tape is excellent. The other way for an excellent seal using electrical tape is to coat the connector with noncorrosive RTV rubber (available at Radio Shack), and then wrapping the tape around the connector so the RTV oozes out. I have used this method on ship antennas and it has kept the connections like new for many years in a salt water environment. The two methods for the use of liquid spray rubber is just an alternative if taping is difficult.

73s

K2OWK
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 03:31:57 AM »

Excellent tips on the rubberized paint and sprays.
And, of course, make sure the connection is dry and ready for your last step of sealing.
Sure beats the 20 year seal tower companies use to seal coax.

Fred
VE1IDX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 02:13:07 PM »

Just some useful information. A product called "Mighty Sealer" (seen on TV) is excellent for sealing antenna connectors. It sprays on, dries to a rubber coating in 15 minutes and after drying the connector can be removed if necessary buy turning. The rubber peals away when cured. I purchased a can in my local Big Lots for $8.50 and should last a lifetime when used for sealing antenna connectors and waterproofing exposed wire connections.

Another excellent product for this is Plastic Rubber used to cushion tool grips. It dries to a soft plastic coating and also allows the removal of the connector. It is available at most hardware stores, but has to be brushed or pored on, as it is not available as a spray. It is available in a verity of colors for coding if necessary. The spray rubber is only available in black.

Hope this helps someone. Sure is better then trying to wind electrical tape on a connection and having it come loose high in the air.

73s

K2OWK

Plasti-Dip is also available in a spray can and is known as Plasti-Spray. No kidding hey? LOL It works great and stands up to winter weather,road salt, and scorching summer sun.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: