Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any DX-ers use an Elecraft P3?  (Read 6133 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: November 07, 2012, 04:23:32 AM »

I am not a contester and have no interest in contests. I am 2 away from Honor Roll and the one skill I am proud of is being able to track the DX in the split and "know" where they will be next. I do this by listening to the split and measuring how far they are working up and then back down through a range of frequencies. I also know when they "jump around" and on very rare occasions - where they also listen down.

I can do this very fast - its become a second sense.

At Pacificon I saw Nirvana - it is the entire K-Line, and I mean _everything_

I'm not convinced that the P3 would make me more competitive or better in the pileups tracking splits that I do now.

The ONLY thing I do in ham radio is work toward DXCC HR and #1 - otherwise - I just test my antennas and futz and putter around.

I can see where the P3 would be really superb for a contester though.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 04:26:47 AM »

No...... but I DID just buy a new ICOM IC-7600 Grin.   UPS says it will be here Friday. Replaces my Pro III, which will probably get offered up for sale. I dont need a backup rig.

I actually considered a K3, but by the time all the goodies were added, the price was about the same (around $3650), and I am used to the ICOM layout/ergonomics, etc.  My ham sized hands would be a little large for the K3 layout.

73, Gene AF3Y
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 04:30:38 AM by AF3Y » Logged
IK0OZD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 04:33:53 AM »

the P3 is the best tool you can buy,
It's a shame that cannot communicate with other radios as with the K3,

I think the Elecraft if creates a CAT to work with most popular radios would have a huge success

in my youtube channel there are loads of videos of P3,
Since then I put the SVGA in P3 it is amplified greatly,
You can have a monitor long 45 cm,

You can see 5 KHZ to pileup in 45 centimeters of space if you have an external monitor suitable
if you look on qrz.com here is info from my youtube channell , there is much much video for the P3
Tony IK0OZD
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 04:51:47 AM »

the P3 is the best tool you can buy,
It's a shame that cannot communicate with other radios as with the K3,

I think the Elecraft if creates a CAT to work with most popular radios would have a huge success

in my youtube channel there are loads of videos of P3,
Since then I put the SVGA in P3 it is amplified greatly,
You can have a monitor long 45 cm,

You can see 5 KHZ to pileup in 45 centimeters of space if you have an external monitor suitable
if you look on qrz.com here is info from my youtube channell , there is much much video for the P3
Tony IK0OZD

Thanks Tony - you know I want one - I just wonder if it will really make a big difference since I am already pretty good about finding and working the DX in big nasty pileups.
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 05:07:11 AM »

If you set up the P3 with the averaging set to show signals that pop up and stay on the screen a little while, the P3 is a great tool in spotting who has come back to the DX station. Of course, not only one station comes back, but often the sequence of the DX station calling and the one he picks can be easily figured out.

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 05:22:25 AM »

The P3 becomes even more useful when you use the SVGA adapter and add a large monitor.  Greater resolution.
I wrote software that allows you to control the P3 and view the video on your computer screen.  You do need a video capture board though but this really makes the P3 useful.  The software is free, you can check it out at va2fsq.com
Working on a remote access version if there is some interest.

VA2FSQ
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 05:46:29 AM »

The P3 becomes even more useful when you use the SVGA adapter and add a large monitor.  Greater resolution.

I use a 19 in. monitor. It is more than big enough for good resolution, and does not take up much room on a setup.

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 07:26:50 AM »

I operate CW almost exclusively, using a K3/P3 combo.  Like you, I'm pretty good at tracking the pileup by ear.  I have to admit I don't always use the P3 for this purpose, but it helps, especially for large pileups that are spread out. 

I think the most useful aspect of the P3 is in assessing a relatively dead band for activity.  I tend to do my hamming in little slivers of time, preferring to keep my wife company in the evenings.  But I can go to the door of the radio room, take a quick look at the P3 display, and get sense of what's going on. 

The P3 seems to be least useful for me in finding DX stations, at least on the low bands.  Because DX on the low bands is often near my noise level, I often find that I can copy stations that are barely visible, even invisible, on the P3 display.   

Chuck  NI0C

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 07:37:50 AM »

I know that the P3 is popular among the members here, but I have the LP-PAN and I'm 100% happy with it.  I use it on a 27" monitor and I could see 200khz of the band in very high resolution.  My total cost is substantially less than a loaded P3.  To QSY I just use a mouse and click on a particular signal.  One downside of the P3 is a lack of a mouse interface.

No offense to the P3 owners as I'm sure the P3 is a great tool.  I just thought that the LP-PAN is a better implementation of the SDR concept.

Rich- what rig. do you have?

Jonathan W6GX
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 07:39:38 AM »

I operate CW almost exclusively, using a K3/P3 combo.  Like you, I'm pretty good at tracking the pileup by ear.  I have to admit I don't always use the P3 for this purpose, but it helps, especially for large pileups that are spread out. 

I think the most useful aspect of the P3 is in assessing a relatively dead band for activity.  I tend to do my hamming in little slivers of time, preferring to keep my wife company in the evenings.  But I can go to the door of the radio room, take a quick look at the P3 display, and get sense of what's going on. 

The P3 seems to be least useful for me in finding DX stations, at least on the low bands.  Because DX on the low bands is often near my noise level, I often find that I can copy stations that are barely visible, even invisible, on the P3 display.   

Chuck  NI0C

Thanks Chuck - this is what I have been suspecting. I some day will probably have the entire K Line, but for now - the P3 isn't going to make such a big difference for working on DXCC related stuff that I have to have it "right away".

But my dream is to have the entire K-Line because to me its like the modern day equivalent  of the old Collins S Line  Grin
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 07:41:56 AM »

Rich- what rig. do you have?

I have the K3 as my main rig and the Kenwood TS-590s as my backup rig. I use a Palstar AT-2K when needed and AL-811H only for pileups where its an ATNO. For band mode fills I use 100 watts . . . .
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 09:11:23 AM »

Chuck  NI0C

Ditto.  I find the panadaptor not that useful in a pile up.  The ears are better for that purpose.  The panadaptor is a useful tool to see the band activity, and for contesting when you're looking for a clear frequency.

Jonathan W6GX
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 09:14:29 AM »

and AL-811H only for pileups where its an ATNO.

So that meant you have only used the AL-811H a total of five times this year?  Sorry I just couldn't help it  Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX
IK0OZD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 10:49:52 AM »

the green bar is the dx station,
the Fuchsia bar is the vfo B

Have possibility also with marker A and mark B in the P3 for clik and go in the pileup
the span in this case is 20 Khz
please image the  resolution if the span is 5 usually Khz

sorry for italian language in the video ,
using italian dinamic antenna ultrabeam up30 meter on top of my house , i 'am 350 meter up on the sea level
the radio is k3 with p3 the monitor is in this case 21" using the SVGA from elecraft in the P3 ,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4xS49f524r0
N6DZR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 12:16:46 PM »

I'm not a K3/P3 owner, but do love the band scope on my IC-7600. Here's another real life example of how the band scope can be useful:

I was listening to a DX station on some band when he said "QSY 17m". So I hit the 17m button and waited. In less than a minute I saw a signal pop up. I tuned to it and was the first QSO. No waiting and I caught him before any spots.

-Jeff
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: