Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any DX-ers use an Elecraft P3?  (Read 5104 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 12:51:43 PM »

I'm not a K3/P3 owner, but do love the band scope on my IC-7600. Here's another real life example of how the band scope can be useful:

I was listening to a DX station on some band when he said "QSY 17m". So I hit the 17m button and waited. In less than a minute I saw a signal pop up. I tuned to it and was the first QSO. No waiting and I caught him before any spots.

-Jeff

Ah - there's a good "use case" . . . thanks!
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 01:04:35 PM »

I added the P3 to my K3 about 6 months ago.  There was not a significant savings so I bought it built. I have not bought the SVGA adapter yet so I'm just using the small scope built into the P3.

I have not become very adept at using it in pileups yet but I spend most of my time on 10 meters and when the band is just opening or closing it allows me to easily find the few stations on the air.  It is also helpful on 15 meters where I rarely tune above 21.350 except during a contest. I also like to see who has the really strong signals and that recently led to an interesting QSO with Ivor, GI0AIJ.

The P3 helped me track down two noise sources.  On 20 meters I was getting spikes of the same amplitude at about every 18 kHz.  It turned out to be an old analog TV in one of my guest rooms.  That TV will be tossed out and replaced very shortly.  On 15 meters I was also getting regularly spaced spikes but not as strong as the signal from the TV and those turned out to be from a desktop PC that I always kept on.  That PC now gets shutoff when not is use.  When 20 meters was dead one night and after calculating the frequency separating the spikes it was very obvious the offender was a TV. I think it is either the horizontal or vertical sync generator which causes those signals but I forget as I read about it many years ago in an ARRL published book on RFI.  Luckily this was in my own house as those signals can travel a good distance.  With the P3 the picture of those signals spoke volumes.

Recently I was also able to track a noise source making 20 meter CW all but unusable to Radio China International.  They were broadcasting on 13.970 in the morning and their signal was heard as high as 14.070! 

When I remodel my basement next spring and have more space I will add the SVGA option and pickup a good sized monitor.

The P3s are not required but they make a very nice addition to the station and they can provide very helpful information.  When I get more adept at using them in a pileup it will just be icing on the cake.

Chris/NU1O
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 01:29:42 PM »

The P3 helped me track down two noise sources.  

Another excellent use case. Thanks!
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 02:44:44 PM »

Fixing the noise source is another matter!

Jonathan W6GX
N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 02:52:55 PM »

I think a panadapter with a display like CW Skimmer (with or without callsign decoding) is much more useful than a spectrum or waterfall display for cw operating. See http://www.dxatlas.com/cwskimmer/ for a picture of what I mean. Basically, it scrolls like a waterfall, but is oriented horizontally and moves much faster so you can "read" the cw visually.

I do find this very helpful in split pileups. I don't have a P3, but use a LP-PAN with my K3.

Tor
N4OGW
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2012, 03:07:13 PM »

I don't have an Elecraft or a P3, but I do have the LP Pan from Telepost.  If the P3 works as well as the LP Pan, you will love it.  It isn't perfect, but it does save some time in figuring out where the DX is listening.

Again, like any other DXing tool, it isn't replace the raw skill of listening.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 03:38:12 PM »

I also have an LP-Pan.  Love it.  Also since I run my K3 station remotely, I can access the LP-Pan remotely via LogMeIn.  Having a remote panadapter is way cool.
IK0OZD

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2012, 11:50:13 PM »

mah ...
I also have lp-pan in the station,

the visibility and usefulness that the P3 is connected to the CAT of the k3 not on can imagine no if you don't try, without taking anything away from the LPPAN the P3 + SVGA is another story
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2012, 02:09:37 AM »

I bought a used P3 earlier in the year to add to my K3. Since I have the second rx in the K3, I normally listen to the pileup with one ear and to the DX station run frequency with the other ear. That was a huge leap forward, so having the P3 is only an incremental gain, but I have found 3 DX uses cases where I rely on the P3:

1. Some DX ops randomly hop around listening in the pielup, vs. go up or down regularly. With the P3 it is easier to see that than to try to keep twiddling VFO B to find who they came back to this time.

2. With really weak DX stations, listening to the pileup in the other ear makes it too hard to hear the DX station so I switch to using the P3 to spot who he came back to.

3. RTTY split pileups - this has been really fun with the P3, since listening to RTTY is always torture and looking at the P3 display it is really easy to spot who he came back to.

Plus, its purty...

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2012, 06:26:22 AM »

Fixing the noise source is another matter!

Jonathan W6GX

Luckily the noise generators were in my house and the solution was just to shut one off when not in use and replace the other with a modern TV.

In the old days prior to cable TV those sync signals would travel up the twinlead and be radiated by the TV antenna.  They could cover a large distance and often you'd be dealing with somebody you didn't even know.

Chris
AB3CX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2012, 11:12:43 AM »

I think there was a similar post to this a while back.  I use the SDR-IQ/Spectravue with my Yaesu FT-2000.  I don't think a Panadaptor is that big of a help with DX pileups, because so many lids keep calling in the pileup while not listening  to the DX and not stopping their calling when the DX is working someone specific, or trying to.  The pileup is disorderly, so the visual representation is also disorderly.  I find a sub receiver essential to find out what is going on.  Panadaptors are useful in contesting to find the outliers in search and pounce and to quickly determine where open frequencies may exist for running, and to find out which bands have activity or are open.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 04:29:38 PM »

Just ordered a P3. Now I will have a full "K-Line". IMHO - like a Collins "S Line"  . . .

Damn - I just realized, this is my 40th year as a ham . . . . I received my novice license - WN2QHN on my birthday in 1973. Pre PC and Mac days - hi hi. No internet or cluster or even "packet" or hell - repeaters then. Tubes and crystals and Hallicrafter / Heathkit. I'm an antique!

Crap - I have a son whose 21 years old and is KG6MXR. How in the world did all this happen so fast?

KE8G

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 04:36:12 PM »

Rich - KY6R,

Congrats on getting the P3, you will find it a welcome addition to the shack!

BUT, a bigger congrats on your birthday and 40 years a ham.... time sure does fly by!  If it makes you feel any better, my oldest son is 42... bet that makes you feel young again.  Hi! Hi!

73 de Jim - KE8G
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2013, 04:47:51 PM »

Rich - KY6R,

Congrats on getting the P3, you will find it a welcome addition to the shack!

BUT, a bigger congrats on your birthday and 40 years a ham.... time sure does fly by!  If it makes you feel any better, my oldest son is 42... bet that makes you feel young again.  Hi! Hi!

73 de Jim - KE8G

Thanks Jim! Even though I was out of ham radio from 1977 - 2001 (with one or two years around 1991 where I built a bunch of QRP rigs and upgraded to Extra and got this wacky California call), Ham Radio has certainly been a wonderful part of my life. (Wish I would have become a DX-er in 1991 . . . oh well) . .

In fact, so much so - I have been having a total "second childhood" as a Little Pistol DX-er . .

Rich
KY6R
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 05:19:51 PM by KY6R » Logged
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2013, 01:09:08 AM »

Yup. Definitely get the SVGA adapter.

- WX2S

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print