Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any DX-ers use an Elecraft P3?  (Read 5180 times)
IK0OZD

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2013, 02:34:05 PM »

easy demo the pileup in P3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueom6SiGs48
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2013, 03:32:52 PM »

Got it hooked up - man, I love this thing.

The Elecraft K-Line is truly the most amazing bit of ham gear I have had in the 40 years I have been a ham.

Maybe I don't want the Kenwood TS-990 after all - hi hi . . . .
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2013, 10:18:41 PM »

I have the K-line including the P3.  It's a valuable tool to locate the least busy portion of the split ops.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2013, 04:55:00 AM »

I have the K-line including the P3.  It's a valuable tool to locate the least busy portion of the split ops.

Yep, but......... that does not mean that 2 seconds later, that least busy portion will still be least busy. I like scopes but on a rare DX, I dont see it helping that much. Just my opinion from using the scope on my ProIII (And before someone yells, I KNOW it is not the P3.).

I actually dont use it that much chasing DX.  Listening seems to work much better for me anyway.  I do like to look at it and see how active a band is or isnt, without dialing around. Great for lazy people like me Cheesy.

73, Gene AF3Y

WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2013, 05:33:40 AM »

Yup. The K3's CW decode has never been particularly useful for me, though, so I leave it off.

-WX2S.

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2013, 05:47:18 AM »

At 335/331, the P3 doesn't do anything for me as far as working split in a pileup. I can do it so fast just tuning and hitting the A/B button - and I don't even have a separate sub receiver (I did on my OrionII in years past).

The best thing about the P3 is that I can clearly see the effect of the filters and how I can separate very close in stations. The reason this is important is because my ears need to "adjust" to separating out signals from noise and signals from signals. It almost seems that it takes a few seconds for my ears and brain to "hear" a tiny signal that has two or more loud local signals blasting the smaller signal into oblivion.

An example is hearing JT1DX during the 160M contest this morning. I had to really work the filters to be able to hear his tiny signal on my K9AY loops - while all of the locals beat his signal into oblivion. The AGC was limiting his signal - my guess is that without the loud locals - JT1DX might have had a reasonable signal. The P3 really helped me narrow a slice down to something usable.

Also - as others mentioned - seeing noise is pretty cool. (Well - maybe not  Grin)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 05:49:47 AM by KY6R » Logged
IK0OZD

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2013, 07:05:23 AM »

It also helps to 349/340 , It's a fun all the time.
It is very useful when dxpedition use 20 khz high frequency
It is very useful to monitor the 50 mhz or the 28 mhz bands almost always deserted,
It is also nice to look at the various forms of psk, rtty signals, filters etc etc.
serves absolutely SVGA card
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2013, 07:07:20 AM »

It also helps to 349/340 , It's a fun all the time.
It is very useful when dxpedition use 20 khz high frequency
It is very useful to monitor the 50 mhz or the 28 mhz bands almost always deserted,
It is also nice to look at the various forms of psk, rtty signals, filters etc etc.
serves absolutely SVGA card

I'll try all of these things - thanks for the tips.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2013, 08:33:10 AM »

WX2S wrote:
Yup. Definitely get the SVGA adapter.

How does this adapter work?  Do you need a separate monitor in addition to your computer monitor?  Or does the SVGA adapter share screen space with your logging program application? 

TNX & 73,
Chuck  NI0C

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2013, 09:26:57 AM »

Maybe I don't want the Kenwood TS-990 after all - hi hi . . . .

I was looking at the brochure for the TS-990.  The TFT display on the 990 also displays a waterfall like the P3.  You could QSY by tapping on the touch-sensitive screen.  Pretty slick.  Don't you wish Elecraft made the P3 screen touch sensitive.  It's technically feasible and with some smart software it will know which signal you want to QSY to. Or one could interface the P3 to an Apple iPad via bluetooth and have the iPad as the graphical interface.

Jonathan W6GX
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2013, 10:26:42 AM »

WX2S wrote:
Yup. Definitely get the SVGA adapter.

How does this adapter work?  Do you need a separate monitor in addition to your computer monitor?  Or does the SVGA adapter share screen space with your logging program application?  
The intended use is to run the SVGA output into a monitor. I put up two monitors and an SVGA switch that switches the second monitor between the PC and the P3. Works fine for me.

If you had a way to snag the SVGA output and display it in your PC, you could probably display the SVGA output on your PC screen. This critter might do the trick:

http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-610-USB-Live-Digitizer-Capture/dp/B0036VO2BI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359311744&sr=8-1&keywords=video+capture+device+vga

You'd need a VGA to RGB cable, but those are cheap.

- WX2S
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 10:41:11 AM by WX2S » Logged

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2013, 11:23:40 AM »

WX2S,
Thanks for the info!
Chuck  NI0C
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print