Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom 7800 Shipping Questions  (Read 3715 times)
N7YV

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2012, 03:32:14 PM »

Hi Elmer,

I still need an Elmer after 52 years!

I have looked for hours to find the dimensions and weight of the box(s) for shipping an Icom IC-7800 I just bought and the owner is not available until Saturday.  If have the specs on the radio itself.

That will be a great help to find the best service and shipping cost.

Thanking you in advance if you can help me.
73, Roger N7YV
I check my work email more often then the forum: sales at JackalopeJunction.com
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 04:49:14 PM »

The weight should be on the spec sheet. He better pack the shit out of it, as it is heavy. Most of those high end radios are not typically stocked by retailers. They are made to order. They are ordered and then dropped shipped by Icom.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 04:52:36 PM by N4NYY » Logged
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 05:37:26 PM »

I don't have one, but the carton and packing should add a lot of size and weight to the base rig.

I'd call Icom on the telephone and ask them for the package dimensions and shipping weight, I'm sure they have it.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 06:01:37 PM »

I don't have one, but the carton and packing should add a lot of size and weight to the base rig.

I'd call Icom on the telephone and ask them for the package dimensions and shipping weight, I'm sure they have it.

I would use a bare minimum of 6" of packing on all side. More if possible.
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 07:57:57 PM »

That will be a great help to find the best service and shipping cost.
It won't be cheap that's for sure.

I packed an IC-746 Pro not too long ago that was going to the east coast from Seattle.

With insurance and all it cost $75 give or take a buck with UPS Ground delivery. It was about 26 lbs. double boxed. I had the original shipping carton and Styrofoam pieces. It was inside a much larger box with a few inches of packing peanuts all around it.

I keep the original boxes and such for everything ham radio related I buy.

A lot will depend on how it is packaged up. It better be done right!!

A couple shipping related comments from the reviews of the 7800;
The cost for shipping and insurance on a 84 pound radio came to $150.00

The box was so big that my wife thought ICOM was sending me a dishwasher. The shipping weight with the boxes is 91 pounds. The UPS girl just wheeled into my garage since it would not fit through my front door. I unpacked it and installed the handles which came in handy since I needed to walk it through the house and into my shack.

It wouldn't fit through the front door...now that's my kind of RADIO!! Grin
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 08:00:47 PM by K7MH » Logged
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 11:26:14 PM »

Icom 7800 Shipping Questions

Check this out.  Next time I need to send my Service Monitor for calibration, this is what I'm going to use.  Not cheap but how much did you pay for that radio again???

http://www.hamradioboxes.com/

Also, check this out in case the shipper tells you it wasn't packed properly after it was damaged in transit.  Again, a bit pricey but well worth it.

http://www.shockwatch.com/monitoring-devices/impact-sensor/impact-indicators/

I've had a few nice electronics purchases literally THROWN about 12 to 15 feet up on my deck when the carrier thought I didn't answer the door quickly enough so I'm a bit more cautious now.  I must admit, however, I probably wouldn't argue with a carrier that could throw a radio that size 12 to 15 feet!
Tom
N7YV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 06:53:51 AM »

To all the wonderful Elmers who shared a lot of really good advice I thank each and everyone of you for your thoughtfulness in taking the time to help me.

It is a joy for me to consider my fellow hams as brothers in our wonderful hobby.

Wishing you all the best, Roger N7YV
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 10:26:48 AM »

Something that expensive you could almost buy an airplane seat for.  Or arrange for someone to courier it for you.  Even if insured 100%, you still have to deal with the bureaucracy, lost time and effort in the event of shipping damage.

After years of getting expensive test equipment smashed in shipping just to get calibrated, my employer finally wised up and had the calibration outfit come to us.  Doesn't take too many $40,000 analyzers to pay for that.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 11:39:51 AM »

A few years ago, I sold my Icom 781, which was another heavy and hard-to-pack rig.  I took it to a professional packing/shipping company (NOT the local UPS store!).  They specialized in custom crates and used foam-in-place techniques, and had a lot of experience packing expensive commercial electronic gear for shipment.  I left it entirely up to them to do it the right way and they took care of the shipping as well.  It arrived in perfect condition and I'd do it the same way again.  For very heavy rigs, I don't think the original manufacturers packing is up to the task of multiple shipments.

73, Floyd - K8AC
K4BNC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 02:04:19 PM »

The ICOM box is efectively 3 boxes nested.  The main tuning knob was placed separately in the box.  I believe this is to prevent a sudden jolt from bending the shaft.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 03:19:46 PM »

The EXTERIOR box for my IC 7600 is about 13" deep and 21" X 24" length and width. There is another box inside which contains the rig and accessories.

Shipping weight around 40 pounds or so total with rig.

That should get you in the ballpark to price the shipping, etc.
Hope this helps. Cool

73, Gene AF3Y
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 03:34:18 PM »

Double box the radio with at least 4" of padding around the radio and the second box. Wrap the radio in at least 3 inches of large bubble wrap. The extra cost of protecting the radio is well worth it. buy the insurance. The radio box will be dropped several times in shipment. Best shipment is Fed-X Air. Less handeling.

The best way to ship is on a pallet. Never gets more than 4 inches off the ground.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 03:36:22 PM »

Double box the radio with at least 4" of padding around the radio and the second box. Wrap the radio in at least 3 inches of large bubble wrap. The extra cost of protecting the radio is well worth it. buy the insurance. The radio box will be dropped several times in shipment. Best shipment is Fed-X Air. Less handeling.

The best way to ship is on a pallet. Never gets more than 4 inches off the ground.

Except when they raise it four feet to get it into and out of the truck. Wink
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 07:28:14 PM »

That just makes it a target for big, heavy, sharp things to fall on IT!  NEVER underestimate the power of the shipping companies to trash anything and everything in their possession.  After all, its in their mission statement!
Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: