Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Universal Radio, Inc. = EXCELLENT!  (Read 25016 times)
WB2SCT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 12:19:19 PM »

I would rate them as POOR.  I bought a used Collins 32S3 from them over the summer and it arrived DOA.  No output at all.  I was assured that their technician went over it,  and it was rated as "Good condition"on the website.  They are slow to respond to email so I ended up bringing it to a highly recognized by eham repairman in the NY area.  He told me that the bandswitch was corroded, and it was obvious that no one had bothered to inspect or test the unit out.  They have a nice selection of used gear but buyer beware from this place.
WA8KIW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 06:23:05 PM »

During my 50 years on the air, I think I've purchased from all of the major players who have brick and mortar locations.  I find only R & L has better customer service and inventory than Universal but Gigiparts could be a close second for customer service, but not inventory.  Product returns to both taken without question.  Was in AES-Cleveland Monday.  They bearly said HI.  Too interested in doing something on the Internet.  Went to buy an item and the price they wanted to charge was higher than the price tag on the product stated.  My last trip there.
KC9YTJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 07:32:48 AM »

I have ordered several times from Universal Radio and like them most of the time, but right now I've been waiting two weeks since my most recent order confirmation for any indication that my order is actually going to ship.  So I sent them an email today and am waiting to hear back.  This is the second time I've had an order hang fire in their system, although the first time at least they backordered the out of stock item and let me know about it immediately.  This time the airwaves have been silent and I don't know if they lost the order or what.

As a software engineer, I find their website clunky but usable; I do wish that they had some concept of online customer accounts so that, as a returning customer, I didn't have to enter the same information every time I want to make an new order.  I've been in the showroom once, during a trip east, and I'd happily stop in again; problem is, I don't go east that many times a year and they are three and a half hours away from my home, so online ordering is pretty much my go-to option.
WB4IVF

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 02:26:35 AM »

I've placed orders with Universal Radio and am a happy customer.  Yes, you may have to wait a couple days or so for order acknowledgement and shipping notifications, etc., but they've always come thru for me.  They still have a neat printed catalog to browse thru, and carry items that are getting hard to find elsewhere.  The site is very easy to use, and it contains a lot of information on actual "sold" used equipment prices, etc. that you won't easily find elsewhere. 

BTW, if you've never heard of "Shortwave Receivers, Past and Present" , written by the owner, look it up!  It is available (used) on Amazon and often on Ebay.  The book is a gold mine of information on shortwave and ham receivers from the 1940's to the '90's, exact years depending on the edition.  My (most recent) edition has almost 500 pages packed full of specs, pictures, new/used prices, etc.  Great reference book!
VK3DWZ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 06:50:30 PM »

You Amateurs in America are very lucky.  I tried to order some products from Universal a while back, and was promptly in-formed that they do not export.  Of course, they have their reasons but with the American economy in its present state I would have thought that they would be eager to export and make a few more Dollars.

And don 't complain about orders taking too long -- I recently "won" a book on the Amateur Radio Relay Leage (A.R.R.L) on-line auction.  The money was quickly "removed" from my Credit Card but, as of this morning, nothing has arrived.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 06:52:58 PM by VK3DWZ » Logged
KB1WCV

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2014, 02:38:32 PM »

Had my first bad experience with ordering HAM equipment.  I didn't think it would come from Universal Radio, but it did.  I needed a TSU-8 CTCSS Tone Decoder for my Kenwood TM-261.  They had it listed.  I ordered it and within a week they sent me an email stating that it was on back order.  The email stated that they would be in touch with me when the order was filled.  I emailed them requesting an update and was told that there were none available.  (Unfortunately, I watched two pass me by on e-bay for a little less $$. They could have purchased one and had it sent to me, I wouldn't have even cared but for crying out loud, get one from somewhere people are waiting on you!)    So anyway, I was told that the part wasn't in stock and I could cancel at anytime and no transaction had occurred.  Then for some reason, it was stated that the parts on the list under the Kenwood TM-261 were those that they carried and they apologized for the inconvenience.  I thought it was funny that they consider it "carrying" the part even if they know they are so scarce.  Oh well. Such is life and I will take the positive reviews from you folks and shop there again.  No harm done. Just dis-appointed.   
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: