Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to remove scratches and gouges from Radio Front Panels  (Read 1669 times)
W7ARX

Ignore
« on: November 09, 2012, 06:37:31 PM »

I was wondering of a good process to remove deep scratches on the top (or sides/bottom) of a plastic front panel you see on the radio's face.  Mine has some scratches and a couple of deeper ones, but afraid to rub it down with any kind of sand paper (any grit) as it would be obvious, etc.  Any ideas?  Drop me a note if you would....
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 03:22:42 AM »

If it's available on your side of the pond try something called T-Cut, it's used on car bodywork but I used it to take out a scratch on my bike helmet.

Tanakasan
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 06:02:33 AM »

Gouges cannot be removed as such but, you can lessen their visual impact.  Light scratches can be removed with one of those kits for polishing plastic headlight lenses.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 08:45:34 AM »

Novus Plastic Polish
http://www.novuspolish.com/

The Container Store (HQ in Texas) carries this product in their stores.

Coated Plastics
Some plastics are coated with a thin film which may be damaged by the abrasives in the polish.
NOVUS No. 2 and No. 3 Polishes are not recommended for use on coated plastics or eyeglass lenses.

Polishing Cloth
The type of polishing cloth you use will make a difference. The ideal cloth is nonabrasive, absorbent and lint free. To eliminate any chance of scratching, use only disposable cloths. Reusable cloths can retain abrasive particles, but you won't know for sure until the damage is done. Use a soft cotton cloth (such as a diaper), avoid using polyester or rayon wipes which can scratch unprotected plastics.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 07:11:45 PM »

Novus 1, 2, 3
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: