Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mountain-Topping??  (Read 2024 times)
WF7BSR

Ignore
« on: November 09, 2012, 09:46:15 PM »

I'm putting together a radio set-up I can take up to some local mountains, and want to know how I would need to modify my call-sign.  I would be approx. 25 miles from my house.  And how would I indicate this new location when sending logs to LoTW...would I need to get a new Certificate for that location? I would not be operating from a vehicle, but a fixed position.

Also, when stations are collecting grid Squares for awards, are they only using the first 2 letters/numbers...for example at my home UTH I am at DM43ej...when I go to the "mountain-top" location I will be at DM43jl or DM43il...will those collecting grid squares care, or still consider it just DM43?

Thank you for your time and assistance;
Raymond - WF7BSR
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 09:56:00 PM by WF7BSR » Logged
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 07:00:32 AM »

I'll take a stab at some answers...

You do not need or want to modify your call sign. This would just lead to confusion. When calling CQ or in the QSO, you may want to indicate your location.

It would be optimal to generate a new LoTW station location for each new grid square so appropriate credit can be given for each. But you only need to do this if the first 4 letters/numbers are different - that's all that matters for grid square awards. The last 2 letters are really just needed for better mapping locations.

LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 07:31:48 AM »

I'm putting together a radio set-up I can take up to some local mountains, and want to know how I would need to modify my call-sign.  I would be approx. 25 miles from my house.
It's advised that you identify as WF7BSR/P (on voice "whiskey foxtrot seven bravo sierra romeo stroke portable"). Some countires require the /P, while in others it's optional.

More people will want to work you if you're portable, and in case SOTA chasers aren't sure if you're on the summit or operating from home the /P should make it clear that you're actually on a summit or otherwise away from your fixed home station.

If you're using less than 5 watts, you might want to use /P/QRP, but many QRP operators just use /P. Some use /QRP if they're running low power from home, while some never use the /QRP suffix.
And how would I indicate this new location when sending logs to LoTW...would I need to get a new Certificate for that location? I would not be operating from a vehicle, but a fixed position.
If you're using off-grid power (battery, solar) and portable antennas, you're still considered a portable station - not fixed. (If you can move the station while operating you're /M in a car, /PM on foot, /MM on the open sea, /M on an inland lake, and /AM in a airplane.)

You would need a second certificate for the /P, but you can do that all online since your non-portable callsign is already approved. No more waiting for postal mail.

Also, you create as many new operating locations within tqsl as you like - you don't need new certificates for each operating location, just for each new callsign and suffix. You end up with a list like
WF7BSR - home
WF7BSR/P - summit 1 and 2
WF7BSR/P - summit 3
WF7BSR/P - city park
etc.
In this list summit 1 and 2 are in the same grid square (and zones) so I treat it as the same location.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 07:38:20 AM by LA9XSA » Logged
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 07:34:17 AM »

First question only: If CW just use /P for portable after your call sign(WF7BSR/P) not a requirement ,just general operating practice.For voice modes just say" portable" after your call sign.
WF7BSR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 08:23:06 AM »

Thank you for the replies and information...it's exactly what I needed to know...I mostly wanted to make sure that if someone made a contact with me they did not get the credit denied because I did not ID my station correctly since I'd not be transmitting from "home".  But the Grid, County, State and Country will be the same.

I will make additional locations in the tQSL...that will keep everything organised properly.

Yes, I will be very low power...the first try will be with a Yaesu FT-817 and a Buddipole antenna kit...I also bought the 80-meter version of the "horse-fence antenna" from this site http://kf4bwg.com/  which I have not tried yet, but will be taking it with me to try out.  Depending on how things work out I may try taking my FT-450D up there at a later date, with the same two antennas.  It will be a gain of approx. 2000 feet in elevation, so we'll see what happens.  If nothing else it will be a nice way to spend time outside.

Thank you all for your time and assistance;
Raymond - WF7BSR
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 09:39:32 AM »

BSR:  "Back in the day" we were required by the FCC to sign "Portable" or "Mobile" when operating from a place other than home.

The personal benefit of doing this was to inform those who you worked that you wasn't working from your home station.  In this day and age, those who hunt grid squares or counties no doubt have looked up your call before calling you to see if they have your area.

By signing, for examples, K8AXW "portable" or "K8AXW/P" your are notifying those hearing you that you just might be in another grid square or county and want to work you.....or not.

Signing /P can be beneficial and the extra effort isn't a big hairy deal.
WF7BSR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 12:23:34 PM »

OK, thank you...I will sign as "portable" any time I go to the hill top area...that's the only time I'd be using the radios other than at home.

Thank you for your time and assistance;
Raymond - WF7BSR
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 12:40:13 PM »

As noted above, if you sign /P, you'll want a LoTW certificate that also includes /P. The catch is that any confirmations uploaded by your contacts must match this EXACTLY. In other words, if they don't log you with /P (as is very often the case), there won't be a LoTW confirmation. I've heard that portable and mobile operators have extremely low LoTW confirmation rates because of this.

I suppose you could upload all of your logs both with and without the /P to better match either case.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: