Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 30 meters is HOT!  (Read 995 times)
W1VT

Ignore
« on: November 10, 2012, 03:42:10 AM »

Just exchanged R-04/-5 reports with VK3XQ in QF22 running 5 watts to the flagpole vertical on 30 meters!

(mode JT65)

Signals don't get much stronger than that when working such long paths!

Zack W1VT
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 03:48:47 AM »

Just realized that he might be running some serious aluminum--sure enough, his QRZ page says he has 3 elements on 30 meters, which would account for signals being much stronger than normal. 
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 04:39:24 AM »

Just exchanged R-04/-5 reports with VK3XQ in QF22 running 5 watts to the flagpole vertical on 30 meters!

(mode JT65)  Zack W1VT 

JT65 is an amazing mode.  More and more folks are achieving DXCC and individual band DXCC using this mode and QRP.  Quiet band condx (nil or very low QRN from electrical storms/man-made noise & low A/K indices) are ideal for these types of modes.  Watch for more and more testimonies of the DX capability at QRP for JT65 (HF).  73, Rich, K3VAT
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 05:10:33 AM »

Isn't it true that VK's can apply for a special license that allows them to run 2kW on 30m?

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 09:20:53 AM »

That is what fooled me!  If he was running 25 watts he would have been significantly  louder!  But, his report was almost the same as mine, which means he was probably also running QRP--which is actually a wise move on JT65.  If you are too loud or too rare you generate a pileup that isn't handled very well by the usual JT65 protocols.
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 03:54:09 PM »

Isn't it true that VK's can apply for a special license that allows them to run 2kW on 30m?

The current power limits for VKs are very conservative: 10w for the Foundation license, 100w PEP (30w CW) for the Standard license and 400w PEP (120w CW) for the Advanced.  There is trial period for Advanced stations to apply for a 1 KW license as part of an inquiry whether that class should be permitted higher power in the future.  The ACMA (Australia's version of the FCC) was initially sceptical of granting higher power licenses, but is however allowing a trial period.  I believe a decision is scheduled for 2013 regarding implementing permanent rules.  I doubt there are many (any?) 2 KW 30m CW or digital stations on the air.  They may allow 2 KW PEP SSB under the special license.  Doesn't look like they prohibit SSB on 30m, "any mode up to 8 kHz bandwidth."  But all in all, it sounds like the ACMA is a very conservative organization.

Most countries make no special power exceptions for 30m and are not limited by the 200w restriction in force in the USA.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 04:27:40 PM by K0RS » Logged
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 05:16:22 PM »

Most countries make no special power exceptions for 30m and are not limited by the 200w restriction in force in the USA.

What is the rationale for our 100 Watt limit on 30 meters? We can use that band on a secondary basis limit with 1 kW just as well as 100 watts.  I'm not so adamant about being able to use 30 meters for Phone as I rather like an all CW or digital band but I want the rules to be the same for EVERYBODY!

I would like to see the US on parity with every other country with regard to mode restrictions. I'm talking about out SSB prohibitions on parts of 80, 40, 30, 20, 15 and 10 meters.  It seems each band has a place where non-US stations can go to so they can avoid US stations and that has always bothered me.

I will wager the US taxpayer is picking up the bulk of the expenses for the international regulatory agencies which govern spectrum and mode allocations but we are not an equal partner with respect to frequency usage.  Actually, we are second class citizens.

If somebody has some data which shows the US is not the main donor nation I'd love to be proven wrong.

Chris/NU1O

KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 05:20:41 PM »

40M also was really smokin' last night and this morning.

The high bands have been really anemic the past couple of days.

However, with the new stack - EU in the morning and OC-PAC in the afternoon.

But not as strong as a couple weeks ago - that's for sure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: