Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Generac information  (Read 4240 times)
AA4PB

Ignore
« on: November 10, 2012, 05:19:35 AM »

Troubleshooting information:

My Generac electric start generator starts perfectly but quits after about 10 seconds. Then it won't start again until it sets for about 1 minute. After a minute it starts on the first try, runs 10 seconds and then quits again.

My first thought was a sticking float in the carburetor. New carburetor - same thing. It turned out to be the oil pressure sensor switch stuck. The control board has a 10-second timer that kills the ignition after 10 seconds if oil pressure is not detected by the switch.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 07:44:13 AM »

Troubleshooting information:

My Generac electric start generator starts perfectly but quits after about 10 seconds. Then it won't start again until it sets for about 1 minute. After a minute it starts on the first try, runs 10 seconds and then quits again.

My first thought was a sticking float in the carburetor. New carburetor - same thing. It turned out to be the oil pressure sensor switch stuck. The control board has a 10-second timer that kills the ignition after 10 seconds if oil pressure is not detected by the switch.

Good info, it will likely apply to others too.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 12:42:48 PM »

It would have been nice if they had had an indicator that came on to show you that the shutdown was due to no/low oil pressure.  I hate 'safety' features that are silent, how are you supposed to know where the fault is?!
KD8NGE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 07:45:25 PM »

My Generac propane powered outdoor generator has the same problem.
I have not conducted troubleshooting as my skills with the infernal combustion engine are limited, however my nephew is a whiz with such devices and I will hand the problem over to him.
Generac is normally a very reliable system; this low oil pressure shut-down problem, however, is one of their more common gripes.
BUBSMASH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 09:06:16 PM »

With me having about eight years small engines mechanics under my belt as a rental mechanic this is a very common problem with most all makes and models of Generators. It also happens to many other types of small equipment such as plate tampers, Pumps, Trash pumps even some ride on mowers have those on the sides of the block and the same thing happens at times to them also.
From what I have seen over the years it is all in due to corrosion or from the engine heating and cooling the small circuitry. If you were wanting to find it on the engine they are usually more towards the bottom of the block and are usually round with two wires coming out of them.

If you go to this link here: http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/images/low_oil_shutdown/honda_oil_alert/2_wire_float_switch.JPG

That is on a Honda Generator. Most all low oil shut down switches I have seen look very much the same hope this helps some of you. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: