Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PT0S - LotW!  (Read 1985 times)
K3TN

Ignore
« on: November 23, 2012, 03:05:03 AM »

My first three QSOs with PT0S (160, 20, 15 cw) were confirmed this am in LotW! Another compliment for, and thanks to, the PT0S team.

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 03:16:33 AM »

You're absolutely right, PT0S did a fantastic job.  Too bad LOTW can't keep up with the workload.
Randy
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 04:00:05 AM »

LotW keeping up fine here - seeing LotW confirmations within days is fast enough for me. Getting LotW confirmations before the DXpedition is even over is just phenomenal. I fully expect there to be slowdowns this coming week, after everyone dumps their CQWW logs in - but by the end of next week all will flushed through - plenty fast for me.

John K3TN
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 05:35:14 AM »

LotW keeping up fine here - seeing LotW confirmations within days is fast enough for me.

I'm with K3TN....I can wait. 

Perhaps someone can answer me this:

You send for a card through the mail and you're ecstatic if the return shows up in a week or so.  "Wow....fantastic turnaround....thank you!!"

Yet if LoTW doesn't show matches a minute and a half after you upload your log everyone gets bent out of shape.  "Lousy system....needs to be updated....c'mon ARRL, get with the program."

Why exactly does it matter whether you get an instantaneous hit or you have to wait a couple days or so?
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 06:38:44 AM »

K9NW,
That's a fair question.  As one who has complained in these forums (and also to his ARRL Director) concerning LoTW performance, I'll try to answer.

I do frequent uploads of my QSO's from my logging program (DXKeeper) simply because it is very easy to do so.  Up until recently, these uploads were accepted by the system pretty quickly (almost always within less than 24 hrs.).  I'm not so much looking for instant matches as confirmation that my QSO's are in the system.  But this one day window level of performance has been the norm since LoTW was first launched nearly a decade ago. Now it seems the system is experiencing peak data upload rates that it can barely handle.  Those of us who have benefited from LoTW want it to remain viable and capable of a healthy growth.  There's a lot at stake with nearly a half billion QSO records in LoTW.  Breakdowns in the system (such as the recent one, that was quickly addressed and fixed by ARRL) can cause a loss of confidence. 

I hope that others concerned about LoTW will also contact their ARRL Directors and offer constructive input. 

Back to PT0S, I congratulate them on their decision to provide LoTW uploads during the expedition.  My QSO's are all matched already, and I have just submitted them for DXCC credit-- before the guys are even off the island!

Chuck  NI0C

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 07:10:13 AM »

But this one day window level of performance has been the norm since LoTW was first launched nearly a decade ago. Now it seems the system is experiencing peak data upload rates that it can barely handle.  

I have to disagree that one day window is the norm for November (but maybe that just proves your point). I've only been using LOTW for 4 years. Every time November (contest season) comes around, LOTW bogs down by a week or more, sometimes is unavailable over a weekend or maybe longer, it eventually mostly catches back up, sometimes I have to resubmit some logs.

LOTW deserves a huge amount of credit... thanks to its high availability and high participation, I've been able to bring my recordkeeping to the point that I have 5BDXCC with my puny little 100W+wire station in just a few years. That's a huge achievement and I fully credit LOTW's availability and the organization that it has brought to my DX efforts. Just in the past few months, I learned DX clusters that indicate LOTW status of the DX, and they are a big part of wrapping that up too.

Now onto the WARC band DXCC and 160M DXCC! Someday, 9 band DXCC via LOTW!!! And I already have PT0S on 160! Woohoo!

Tim.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 10:17:23 AM »

N3QE wrote:
And I already have PT0S on 160! Woohoo!

Tim, congrats!  I also saw your comment on the TopBand Reflector.  I believe you're getting hooked on160m.  Good luck in the contest,
Chuck  NI0C
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 10:49:47 AM »

I have one contact on 11-11-12 that wasn't confirmed on LoTW.  However the contact is in their online log.  And I have contacts made after 11-11-12 that have been confirmed on LoTW.  So it would appear that their log in LoTW isn't complete.  Has anyone experienced the same problem?

Jonathan W6GX
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 11:19:52 AM »

I posted about this in the main PT0S thread but apparently they were doing uploads to lotw whenever they did a log update. I got some of mine confirmed already including 160.
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 11:20:43 AM »

I have one contact on 11-11-12 that wasn't confirmed on LoTW.  However the contact is in their online log.  And I have contacts made after 11-11-12 that have been confirmed on LoTW.  So it would appear that their log in LoTW isn't complete.  Has anyone experienced the same problem?

Jonathan W6GX

My qsos on the 11th and 12th are there, the 15th is not, one on the 16th isn't, 3 are. I'm sure it will all get sorted out.

I re-uploaded my qsos from the 14th, they weren't even showing in my "recent qsos" list.

Kudos to PT0S.
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 03:47:47 PM »

Saw my one QSO confirmed just now. Was afraid my call had gotten munged. Many thanks to the four who went out on those rocks!

- WX2S

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 04:41:36 PM »

One of mine is there, too. That makes 200 on LoTW, 35 of which are LoTW-only. I had sent for their card earlier today. I needed to send a donation so thought I might as well get the card since it was painless with OQRS.

Make that 34. I just got a card from D64K, although I don't remember requesting it. Must have been the same situation.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 04:52:54 PM by WS3N » Logged
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 05:14:03 PM »

Spoke too soon... the QSO is there, but not the QSL. Sad

- WX2S

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: