Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 22 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PT0S active  (Read 47867 times)
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: November 14, 2012, 05:07:28 AM »

Congrats to Paul, K3STX, K5JZ and others who have made it on Top Band!

I hope to be QRV on 160m by tomorrow night.  This morning after breakfast, I'm planning on re-assembling my MA160V 160m vertical in the back yard so I can be ready when a couple of my friends from the Mississippi Valley DX & Contest Club come over tomorrow morning to help me put it up in place of the MA8040V.  Our roving antenna committee is one of the best features of our club, and I'm proud to be a part of it.

Chuck  NI0C
KA1J

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: November 14, 2012, 05:35:17 AM »

The on-line log still says:

Sorry no QSOs found for KA1J!

There are 533 QSOs in the Database

Last QSOs in the Database: 0927 UTC 11 November 2012

I hope they get their on-line log up to date soon, I'd like to stop chasing them. I think I've worked them twice but each time I listened for the acknowledgement, lid/QRM stepped on their frequency.

Gary
KA1J
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: November 14, 2012, 05:52:50 AM »

My chances on a 160m qso are near zero...

Not true. I have found the op goes QRX not infrequently (overactive bladder? Grin) and seems to leave his RX frequency EXACTLY where it was when he left; I got him just as he returned. I use 400 watts and a inverted L 70 feet vertical/60 horizontal with about 10 radials (none longer than 35 feet). By the way, my wire antenna is right at a fence line with my neighbor, NONE of my radials go on his property, they are all in a small "half-moon".

I had to listen on my Europe-oriented Pennant! The inv. L was too noisy. Even on the Pennant I had the attenuator in line so I could clearly hear PT0S.

paul
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: November 14, 2012, 08:08:36 AM »

Not Yet Angry .  I tried a couple hours this AM...... first 12m and then 15m.  Nadda.
I find it very hard to believe that George and Tomi are in charge of this show. I
have worked them before on several of their trips. This is NOT the way they operate. Unruly
pileups not being managed as they USUALLY manage them. Maybe its the other ops in the daylight and
George and Tomi at nite.

Never saw any operation change bands so quickly/often (Maybe they cannot hear, according
to their web site... I cannot think of any other reason.) 599+ here, and then they are GONE to another band which is readable, but not nearly as loud.  ADD to that.....QRX after QRX after QRX.(Pissalot??)
HUGE splits.... Working SA 5 min, ASIA 5 min, JA 5 min, AF 5 min, EU 5 min, etc. etc. Makes no sense to me.
And NO, before you ask......... I could not do any better, but that does not change things.

And of course, the larger than usual pile of dickheads jamming or sending on the DX freq, or
just tapping their keyer or tuning, running their keyer full bore on dahs.........etc.

I may try again this afternoon.... I am not too sure I am going to worry if I dont get this
one.  I have better things to do than to sit here and send my call for hour upon hour. I believe Peter said he spent 14 hours calling when they first were QRV.  No offense, but hell would freeze over before I would ever do that.  An hour or two at a time is more than enough for me. So maybe I wont get them, if it takes 12 - 14 hours constant calling.
I think I may have made it this AM, but unsure, as the TUNER started up when the DX was giving my call back to me.  I doubt it tho. Roll Eyes

GL..... 73, Gene AF3Y

UPDATE:  They started on 10m CW around 1600.  Guess what at 1610?  You got it....... QRX  Roll Eyes  QRX... still not back at 1635.  I am done until tonight or whenever I have nothing else to do.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:35:48 AM by AF3Y » Logged
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: November 14, 2012, 08:22:29 AM »

Congrats on the 160m catch, Paul.
My chances on a 160m qso are near zero, unless their noise levels drop and everyone else stops transmitting.  Tongue

I hear ya, man. I'm in the same ballpark. A zillion calls made thus far and at best a partial. I'm hopeful, I guess. They're improving their TX antenna today, which could be more problematic. The louder they get, more people will call just making the pileups even deeper. I'm really hoping their online log gets updated soonishly. I bagged them on 10m CW easily this morning, and if all my contacts were legit (and if I'm in the log on 160) then I'm done with St. P&P everywhere and every mode.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: November 14, 2012, 08:40:46 AM »

You feel lucky if you can spot the last Q. People call even when the Op is calling out another station and everyone
replies. What the heck.

Now, this makes it hard for those without pan adapters(like me). One choice is to sit on a freq, call and hope
the op scans and picks you up , ie if the pile does not advance and clobber you at that time.

Just need the logs posted online and can push back and take it easy for another week until the ZL9 comes online
and the zoo starts all over again Smiley

Krish
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: November 14, 2012, 08:44:31 AM »

You feel lucky if you can spot the last Q. People call even when the Op is calling out another station and everyone
replies. What the heck.

Now, this makes it hard for those without pan adapters(like me). One choice is to sit on a freq, call and hope
the op scans and picks you up , ie if the pile does not advance and clobber you at that time.

Just need the logs posted online and can push back and take it easy for another week until the ZL9 comes online
and the zoo starts all over again Smiley

Krish

Krish..... the scope on my rig is useless in that mess. With the behavior you describe above, when no one ever stops calling, it is probably just best to pick a spot and sit and call........ and hope for a little luck.

GL/73, Gene AF3Y
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: November 14, 2012, 08:53:26 AM »

It would be nice if another log update would appear. I realize their problems and hope an upload happens soon. I am tired of calling!

I would like to see another 80 meter opening like we had earlier here in my area when I could hear them strong on my 40 meter antennas! I lashed up an 80 meter dipole in hopes of hearing them the next day. It's still up there waiting!  Smiley

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
W1ITT

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: November 14, 2012, 09:07:53 AM »

I was 100% impressed with the PT0S 160m operator last night.  QRM was thick, but he was persistent, getting the TT, then calling me W1STT...after a couple minutes of my repeating W1ITT we made it.  All that over a single dit! A lesser op would have given up and gone on to another call.  I understand it's noisy and half the free world was calling, so they had a tough job to persevere.  The pileup antics have been deplorable, but PT0S soldiers on....  Thanks, guys!
Norm W1ITT
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: November 14, 2012, 09:14:13 AM »

It would be nice if another log update would appear. I realize their problems and hope an upload happens soon. I am tired of calling!

I would like to see another 80 meter opening like we had earlier here in my area when I could hear them strong on my 40 meter antennas! I lashed up an 80 meter dipole in hopes of hearing them the next day. It's still up there waiting!  Smiley

Also waiting here for an 80m ssb Q and a confirmation of the 80m cw and praying that the call is not bursted.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: November 14, 2012, 09:19:02 AM »

No luck yet here. Worked at it several hours last night on 40 ssb despite the frequency fighting (that was a lesson in frustration with the lids on the dx tx frequency). Been at it a few hours today with no luck yet either. They've been very strong here on just about every band so far but no luck getting through. I actually took a walk outside earlier just to check if my antenna is still up!

I'll be happy with just one QSO at this point.
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: November 14, 2012, 10:03:57 AM »

Gene, try 40m around 08:00 or so. The pileups aren't near as bad/big/full of idiots.

Paul/Peter, my 160m antenna is a dipole at 35 feet. It kinda sorta "works", I have 35  confirmed on 160, but that is certainly due to good setups on the other side of the qso.

Until I get something better going, I don't expect much on 160. Which is what I usually get, not much.   

I have heard them well enough to call, one evening/morning, but I'm not placing any bets on them hearing me.

12m ssb and 40m cw/ssb so far, but I'm off Friday, so a late night Thursday is lined up. Hoping they show up on 80m.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: November 14, 2012, 10:15:32 AM »

Not true. I have found the op goes QRX not infrequently (overactive bladder? Grin)

I noticed the exact same thing. Many short breaks. Maybe Flomax hasn't reached Brazil yet, or they ran out already.  Wink

Chris/NU1O
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: November 14, 2012, 10:17:59 AM »

Band conditions aren't too good right now, with a K index of 4, which means that now may be the best time for USA stations to work them--our paths aren't as impacted as much as over the pole paths.  
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: November 14, 2012, 10:39:18 AM »

YESSS!!!!!! Got em' on 17m cw.... whew!
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 22 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: