Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 22 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PT0S active  (Read 46164 times)
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: November 14, 2012, 10:53:05 AM »

Now, this makes it hard for those without pan adapters(like me).

You surely don't need a panadapter or dual watch/dual VFO to make this work! I have never had such luxuries. Just listen to when he gives out a COMPLETE call, then listen for the guy coming back with the "tu 5NN" or whatever by swirling the XIT and listen to where your XIT is. That is all I have ever done. I can pretty easily cover 3 kc doing it that way. If the split it too big or he is jumping around alot (or if I cannot hear the callers like on the high bands) it is harder. But on 80/160 with a 5 kc split: I think I heard EVERY guy he worked last night while I was in there.

MOA. I agree, with a dipole at 35 feet I think I would not jump in the fray. I think you are right, not a chance of ZERO, but pretty slim! I suspect lots of KW+ guys are not getting through.

paul
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: November 14, 2012, 11:38:04 AM »

I think I may have gotten them on 160, I caught my suffix or what I thought was my suffix but QSB took over. I've got it in the log and will keep all appendages firmly crossed until confirmed in the online log.

Exactly the same thing happened to me on 160m.  I clearly got the "...RS," but in my case it was thanks to the band cops, "up,up,uppers," tuner uppers and lids in general that caused me to miss my prefix.  "RS" isn't exactly a rare suffix with DXers, with AA0RS, N2RS, K9RS (who I'm often mistaken for) all active.

I've got two solid QSOs, on 80 and 17, and two iffy ones on 160 and 12, all CW.  The 12m SSB pileup this morning was a real moron's melee, with a bunch of pig farmers holding court on PT0S's transmit frequency.  Every time I get involved in an SSB pileup, I feel like I need a shower afterward...yecch.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: November 14, 2012, 11:39:29 AM »

I've never used a panadapter, I've always gone to the other vfo to listen for the 5nn tu if trying to find where the dx is moving their vfo. With so many who don't listen and just keep sending and sending and sending and sending even when the dx is transmitting it would probably be darn near impossible to "see" the 5nn tu on the adapter. I could be entirely wrong as I've only really played around with panadaptors at other QTH's.

As far as the dipole at 35 feet.. well, you won't know unless you try! PT0S is pretty strong here on all the bands I've listened so far, you should be able to work them. My center fed zep dipole and "mighty" 100w just got through a little while ago on 17m. It was by no means easy.. chased em around on 40 ssb last night, 10m cw, 12m cw, 15m cw and finally was able to work them on 17m today for my first QSO with them. Now just to wait for the log upload and cross the fingers!! I think I'll stay up tonight and try to get them on 80 or 40 or 30 cw depending on where they're at. Good luck!! It's definitely a challenge..
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 11:42:49 AM by KB2FCV » Logged
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: November 14, 2012, 11:54:25 AM »

I've never used a panadapter, I've always gone to the other vfo to listen for the 5nn tu if trying to find where the dx is moving their vfo. With so many who don't listen and just keep sending and sending and sending and sending even when the dx is transmitting it would probably be darn near impossible to "see" the 5nn tu on the adapter. I could be entirely wrong as I've only really played around with panadaptors at other QTH's.

It is damn near impossible to hear the station he is working with a panadapter. I tried to work him for nearly two hours this morning on 17 CW and when he picks out a call most of the spikes remain on the panadapter.  Many just keep sending their call OVER and OVER.  Also, the pileup is extremely wide and it's really impossible to catch somebody sending 5NN TU. 

The Panadapter was useless this morning.

Chris/NU1O
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: November 14, 2012, 12:12:16 PM »

http://dx-world.net/2012/pt0s-st-peter-and-st-paul-rocks/

This web page has a very informative post--delayed online log and tips for low bands dated 14 November.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: November 14, 2012, 12:17:53 PM »

I'm really hoping their online log gets updated soonishly. I bagged them on 10m CW easily this morning, and if all my contacts were legit (and if I'm in the log on 160) then I'm done with St. P&P everywhere and every mode.

I have two 15 meter contacts.  One CW, and one Phone when I clearly heard my call but once I see I am in their log I am onto other things.  I agree with Gene, AF3Y, one or two hours is about my limit for sending my call ad nauseum.

When I've looked at the leader boards on ClubLog for past DXpeditions and have seen many stations with six, seven, or more bands, and all modes, it makes me wonder where they get the patience.  I find no enjoyment in participating in a pileup.  I'd rather have a relaxed QSO, or watch a classic movie, even a movie I have seen many times previously like most of the Hitchcock films.

Chris/NU1O

AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: November 14, 2012, 12:19:53 PM »

YESSS!!!!!! Got em' on 17m cw.... whew!

Me TOO!  Finally.......... It's about damned time.   I probably have a total of 4 or 5 hours invested
to get these jacklegs! In my log at 2005z on 17cw. Grin
Having a glass of my favorite Yellow Tail Shiraz at 3 in the afternoon.  That is unusual too!
73, Gene AF3Y
N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: November 14, 2012, 12:21:58 PM »

It is damn near impossible to hear the station he is working with a panadapter. I tried to work him for nearly two hours this morning on 17 CW and when he picks out a call most of the spikes remain on the panadapter.  Many just keep sending their call OVER and OVER.  Also, the pileup is extremely wide and it's really impossible to catch somebody sending 5NN TU. 

The Panadapter was useless this morning.

This is why I recommend a panadapter with a display like CW Skimmer http://www.dxatlas.com/cwskimmer/ . I use http://code.google.com/p/so2sdr/. Instead of just seeing spikes you actually see the morse code letters. Even without skimmer decoding (which I don't use) it is easy to pick out someone sending '5nn' from a bunch of other stations.

Tor
N4OGW
K5JZ

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: November 14, 2012, 12:25:38 PM »

Congrats to Paul, K3STX, K5JZ and others who have made it on Top Band!

I hope to be QRV on 160m by tomorrow night.  This morning after breakfast, I'm planning on re-assembling my MA160V 160m vertical in the back yard so I can be ready when a couple of my friends from the Mississippi Valley DX & Contest Club come over tomorrow morning to help me put it up in place of the MA8040V.  Our roving antenna committee is one of the best features of our club, and I'm proud to be a part of it.

Chuck  NI0C

Thank you Chuck... my fingers and toes are crossed for you!

George K5JZ
KA1J

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: November 14, 2012, 12:31:19 PM »

What confounds me beyond belief is why would someone call while he is trying to pick out a specific call.

As to the "Cops" I think they have no interest in DX and their sole goal is to be a part of a gang of disrupters who feed off of each others "up" "LID" or worse. When one does it, the mob joins in and then does it far too long. This is what is fun to them. When a DXpedition happens for them it's "Game on" & none of them will ever identify who they are, they just hear each other and the club has it's next meeting...

And... their kind were the ones sitting in the back row in high school...

I've spent 3-4 hours on 17M trying for PT0S and the QRMers have easily taken up half of the dominant signal on the DX frequency.

Sigh...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 12:38:27 PM by KA1J » Logged
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: November 14, 2012, 12:32:44 PM »

I'd rather have a relaxed QSO, or watch a classic movie, even a movie I have seen many times previously like most of the Hitchcock films.
Chris/NU1O

OR......... Key Largo or Casabanca with Bogart.

BTW, speaking of Hitchcock, I was stationed in Petaluma, California (Two Rock Ranch Station, a small Army Security Agency Installation) in the early 60's. Had a Triumph 650 Bonneville and used to ride up in the redwoods to Bodega Bay and drink beer and eat a shrimp or three out on their pier. Bodega Bay is sorta famous for Hitchcock's THE BIRDS, which was filmed there.  Glad they were mostly gone when I was there. BEAUTIFUL country!

73, Gene AF3Y
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: November 14, 2012, 12:39:22 PM »

New logs have just been posted-- thru 1057 UTC, 14 November.
Chuck  NI0C
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: November 14, 2012, 12:41:03 PM »

Chuck  NI0C

Looks like my two QSOs are there. Smiley
KA1J

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: November 14, 2012, 12:46:05 PM »

Chuck  NI0C

Thanks!

There is a God, I have Q's on 160 & 80. Now the pressure is off.

I earlier donated to the DXPedition via the PayPal link on their support page http://pt0s.com/support.html  & will throw in some extra with the OQRS when the operation is over, these guys definitely deserve support!

Time for some Laphroaig!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 12:49:30 PM by KA1J » Logged
VE3YF

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: November 14, 2012, 12:52:08 PM »

I'm really hoping their online log gets updated soonishly. I bagged them on 10m CW easily this morning, and if all my contacts were legit (and if I'm in the log on 160) then I'm done with St. P&P everywhere and every mode.

I have two 15 meter contacts.  One CW, and one Phone when I clearly heard my call but once I see I am in their log I am onto other things.  I agree with Gene, AF3Y, one or two hours is about my limit for sending my call ad nauseum.

When I've looked at the leader boards on ClubLog for past DXpeditions and have seen many stations with six, seven, or more bands, and all modes, it makes me wonder where they get the patience.  I find no enjoyment in participating in a pileup.  I'd rather have a relaxed QSO, or watch a classic movie, even a movie I have seen many times previously like most of the Hitchcock films.

Chris/NU1O

Chris:

I have my 2 x 15m Contacts missing. I talked to a fw others today and their 15m contacts are not posted. Perhaps we have all worked the same station/laptop and just missed getting his logs. I am sure it will work out in the end.

73 De Mike
VE3YF
Pages: Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 22 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: