Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PT0S active  (Read 35853 times)
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 04:00:57 PM »

Tnx larry, will let everyone know I did consult with Larry on what wud be the most effective ant fer 40 mtrs, tnx agn fer ur help Larry and gl to all that need this one, 73 Dan WG5G.

HAHA! You only gave me a couple choices!  Grin But its amazing what 5 watts and some wire at the right height and the right position will do. Plus PY0/S, fortunately, isn't that far away.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 04:04:58 PM »

They do not have their receive antenna up due to rough seas and they are saying that the noise on 160 was S9 plus 10DB. ALL of us that made it in the log on 160 last night had to rise above that noise floor. It will get better.

That would explain the difficulty in picking out callsigns.  He actually got up to S4~5 here on my HyTower cum inverted L, but later in the evening the static crashes were still in excess of S9 which made it difficult to tell who he was responding to.  Hopefully this storm will have tracked further to the east by tonight so the band will be quieter.  Beautiful, clear starry night last night, but still lots of residual noise.  Hopefully they will have have the 160m RX antenna in place and that will speed things up a bit.  Agree that the pileup was large on 160M.  I missed the 80M activity, where I also need SP&P.

GL on 80 tonight! They are on 160, 17, and 6 (2235z) as I write this.
George K5JZ

With only TWO stations ACTIVE?  Pretty NEAT! Shocked

73, Gene AF3Y
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 04:08:43 PM »

14 hours pumping out legal limit and nothing to show for it other than a busted call on 12 SSB. Not a prayer on 160 last night or on 17m today. I haven't seen pileups like this in a very long time. 20 kHz wide not-stop callers and no discernable pattern. Hell, in 14+ hours I think I only found his QSX 3 or 4 times and he moved after Q; no tail-ending unless you got very lucky. I have a suspicion this one will take 2 or 3 days for all the world's big guns to work down the pile enough that tribanders/1500W guys can get in. I'd hate to be trying this with flea power and a G5RV 20' up...maybe the last few days?

I'm not even going to call on any band I have SP&P on for this operation. I need them on 10, 12, 17, 80 and 160  and there's a zero percent chance even my 6kW of ERP will make it on all of those. Maybe 10, 12 and possibly 17 if the piles thin down enough. With the very real chance that this is the last activation of PY0S for an extremely long time this one's going to bring out the very worst in everybody until they go QRT. I think they'll be slammed wall to wall on 80 and 160 until they have to leave. I'll make a prediction that they'll never be begging anywhere!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 04:10:58 PM by W2IRT » Logged

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2012, 04:13:13 PM »

I tried about an hour tonite (with my BRAND NEW IC-7600!), but no luck yet, its still a virgin.  The DX got a little weaker around 0000z, my patience got a little shorter, the "weekend DXers" continued to show their asses and stupidity, and I wanted another glass of Shiraz. SO........ Tomorrow is another day, I hope.

Weekend DXers remind me of what I call AMATEUR DRINKERS.  You know, the people who only drink on their birthday and/or holidays. You know, the ones who get drunk and kill people on the highways. THANK GOD that the weekend DXers dont have a weapon, besides stupidity, in their rig. hi hi

ALWAYS amazes me.  I still cannot understand how ANYONE who has EVER worked DX, can think PT0S is working simplex. USE YOUR BRAINS, PEOPLE.

73, Gene AF3Y
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 04:16:29 PM by AF3Y » Logged
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2012, 05:02:03 PM »

I see from the cluster that you finally worked them Peter, congrats! I worked them just before you did moving up just a bit after I found the previous QSO. So like you said, they are not doing much tail ending. I was happy to get that one in the log as a ATNO. Now to add the gravy with a few more bands/modes if possible.

John K7KB
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »

Took a listen again on 17 a few minutes ago. Their signal was in the noise.
Interesting, as that is just about what VOACAP sez.... My printout from VOACAP show the MUF down to around 15 or 16 at 0100z.

I did take a listen on 160, and they were LOUD, with the band really quiet.  But, listen is all I can
do..... no antenna for 160.  All of you who need them should have a pretty easy time of it.

I "Might" be able to work em on 80, but doubtful, I can tune this thing on 80, but on very low power and with the loss from the tuner, etc. I doubt if they will hear me. I can give it a try tho. Huh

GL and 73, Gene AF3Y
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2012, 06:14:18 PM »

I am hearing them now on both my 40 meter delta loop and 40 meter inverted Vee 3 to 4 dB above the noise level. Too bad I don't have an antenna cut for the low end of 80 meters!

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2012, 06:25:24 PM »

Tried like the dickens to get them on 17m earlier to no avail - then 3 calls on 80m and they're logged. Who'd a thunk it...

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog

KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2012, 06:36:53 PM »

they are S9 +10 on my K9AY loops, and I have a resonant 1/4 wl vertical on 80m.

will wait till the east coast wall thins out.

already have spp rocks from ZW0S, but only on 20 and 15 SSB.

r
KA1J

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2012, 09:26:13 PM »

Hello all, needed PT0S on cw, figured it wud be a mess, so i put up a dipole for 40 mtrs just in case, well one call at 0902z on 7.025 and there in the log, not bad fer 5 watts, it was # 328 toward cw Honor Roll qrp, anyway try the middle of the night, no pile ups, 73 Dan WG5G.

Congratulations... that is indeed impressive!

George K5JZ

Indeed! I used a bit... more power than that and was at it for more than a few hours trying to chase where he was listening. Hoping the 160 & 80 are all good in their log, that's what counts & all that. Will check when it's on-line.

Gary - KA1J
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2012, 01:25:20 AM »

I think I got him on 40m cw.  He had a nice signal but QRM was really bad.  I will try again on the higher bands.  GL to all.

Jonathan W6GX
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2012, 02:26:40 AM »

This one is not going to be as easy as I thought. Roll Eyes

No rhyme or reason to the DX op movement in these HUGE splits.

But, its early yet. Lets just hope they dont have to end it early.
(Hey, they dont have any way off until the next fishing boat, huh Huh)

Spotted on 20 SSB and 15 CW this am (1000z), but nothing heard in Fla.
VOACAP shows MUF going almost straight up from 14 to 26 around from 1000 to 1200z at my QTH.
Hope thats correct Roll Eyes.

73, Gene AF3Y
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2012, 02:55:18 AM »

Gene, you're right at least for me in North Florida, it's not as easy as one would think.  Especially with a 35 kc split, that was unreal last night.  I was a very small fish in a very big ocean, hope it gets better today.  I've worked them once on 40 and that might be it unless it calms down but with few ops it doesn't look promising.
K5JZ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2012, 04:23:13 AM »

They do not have their receive antenna up due to rough seas and they are saying that the noise on 160 was S9 plus 10DB. ALL of us that made it in the log on 160 last night had to rise above that noise floor. It will get better.

That would explain the difficulty in picking out callsigns.  He actually got up to S4~5 here on my HyTower cum inverted L, but later in the evening the static crashes were still in excess of S9 which made it difficult to tell who he was responding to.  Hopefully this storm will have tracked further to the east by tonight so the band will be quieter.  Beautiful, clear starry night last night, but still lots of residual noise.  Hopefully they will have have the 160m RX antenna in place and that will speed things up a bit.  Agree that the pileup was large on 160M.  I missed the 80M activity, where I also need SP&P.

GL on 80 tonight! They are on 160, 17, and 6 (2235z) as I write this.
George K5JZ

With only TWO stations ACTIVE?  Pretty NEAT! Shocked

73, Gene AF3Y

I have run a DX Cluster since 1991... I see all of the spots and if you go online and check... you will see that what I posted was correct. I have no idea if any of these operations were a pirate but the PY's were working their friend on 6 and the world was working them on 160 and 17... beam heading correct... those on low band chat seem to know the op on 160. Perhaps they are running a dedicated 6 meter beacon station that can be used when the band opens? You tell me.

George K5JZ
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2012, 07:35:54 AM »

I tried a little on 17 and 80 yesterday and the pileups were huge. I may try again in another day or so. I found their listening 'direction' a few times but couldn't tell how fast they were tuning up the band. They did have some nice strong signals on 80m. Should be some fun pileups to tackle.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: